Go to dinners

Options
I can be good until dinner hits. I'm a working mom that needs to feed a husband that can eat whatever he wants and not gain 1 oz and a 2 year old. Help! Quick. Easy. Low cal and healthy!....& tasty of course

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eat what they eat but less of it.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Eat what they eat but less of it.

Yep - what she said.
    Plan your meals and make your husband dinner fit your macros!

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I agree: eat what they do but portion things differently (you eat less high calorie items and more low calorie items, while they eat whatever combination they wish).
    I find the easiest meals to both prepare and individually potion out are the simple veggies, starch and protein combo. These are also the most calorie conscious and filling because you can usually eat a lot of veggies to ensure a full tummy. A baked chicken breast with potatoes & veggies or poached fish with rice & veggies, etc. Have a healthy portion of meat/fish, a measured portion of starch and plenty of veggies to fill the tummy.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    my husband is a professional athlete and boy can that man eat. I eat exactly what i make him but i eat smaller amount (a pre logged amount of calories. Wether is tacos, pasta, burgers ect. If i dont have a ton of calories left il modify it.
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "Taco Tuesday" = tacos for husband, taco salad for you, and then whatever parts of the meal your two year old will eat!

Rice bowls! Brown or wild rice, teriyaki chicken, stir fried veggies.

Really anything that you can build into different portions works!
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in the same boat. I like to make a pan of chicken breasts and cut up a ton of portioned veggies and roast them. I make a big batch and have ready to grab in fridge. Then I eat that for a few days. I like it so I don't mind some repetition.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    People who eat whatever they want and not put on a pound do not exist....
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My go-to meal is Skinny Mom's sour cream chicken enchiladas (which sound, and taste, much more sinful than they are!)

Not sure if they'd be great for a toddler, but I'm sure your husband would approve!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

Sure they do. If what they want to eat is within their maintenance range then they can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. That's not to say there are these magical people who seem like the rest of us but eat and eat and eat and never gain weight. But there are a lot of people who have very active jobs, who are endurance athletes, who have to work to eat enough calories so that they don't lose weight.
    Not everyone is a volume eater either, and many people manage their weight using satiety cues quite successfully.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Sure they do. If what they want to eat is within their maintenance range then they can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. That's not to say there are these magical people who seem like the rest of us but eat and eat and eat and never gain weight. But there are a lot of people who have very active jobs, who are endurance athletes, who have to work to eat enough calories so that they don't lose weight.
    Not everyone is a volume eater either, and many people manage their weight using satiety cues quite successfully.

So they dont exist then. They can only eat more than others on the condition they do a lot of exercise.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    OP this is a common question on here, use the search feature for "family meals" "cooking for family" etc and you'll probably find some threads with recipe suggestions.

Overall I agree with others, you can eat the foods you feed your family, just make a different portion size for yourself and try adding a salad or more vegetables to your plate.

Kids are tough, mine are 4 and 7 and as much as I would like, they don't eat the same things we eat. I tend to make a lot of grilled meat, rice or pasta, and a vegetable. I add string cheese or yogurt and fruit to their plates and they usually manage to get enough to eat. If I make stir fry I take out some of the chicken and vegetables before I put sauce on it, serve it to them with plain rice. Things like that.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

So they dont exist then. They can only eat more than others on the condition they do a lot of exercise.

The comment wasn't about people that can eat more than others. I'm a petite female. Lots of people can eat more food than me and not gain weight. The comment was about people who can eat whatever they want and not gain. You said they don't exist. I'm just pointing out that it all comes down to math. If what they want to eat is within their own maintenance range (whether or not they exercise) then they would be happily maintaining.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    We eat chicken a lot in our house. My husband is the only one who really cares for red meat. I make sure and measure and weigh anything I eat. No reason why you can't eat what you want. I just try to stay as close to one ingredient foods as I can for all meals for my family. It's just healthier IMO.
  • eldamiano
    Options

The comment wasn't about people that can eat more than others. I'm a petite female. Lots of people can eat more food than me and not gain weight. The comment was about people who can eat whatever they want and not gain. You said they don't exist. I'm just pointing out that it all comes down to math. If what they want to eat is within their own maintenance range (whether or not they exercise) then they would be happily maintaining.

So they cant eat what they want. They have to stay within the maths. People on here insist that 'their mate can eat 10 pizzas a day and not put on a pound'. It is just sour grapes, not reality....
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    If you google quick healthy dinners you can find lots of examples on sites such as recipe.com and allrecipes.com, and others.
    Some of the recipes will offer a little video of how to make the dish. You can branch out and try new things and still eat healthy food that kids will eat too, if you don't tell them that it is healthy.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

So they cant eat what they want. They have to stay within the maths. People on here insist that 'their mate can eat 10 pizzas a day and not put on a pound'. It is just sour grapes, not reality....

My point is, how do you know they want to eat more than that? You seem to be assuming that everyone wants to eat 10 pizzas a day.

I know which threads you are referring to and I agree with your point from the outsiders perspective, that it may seem that the person eats whatever they want and doesn't gain, when in actuality that envious person may only see a glimpse of what their mate does to maintain.

However, you said that people who eat whatever they want and don't gain don't exist. If a person is satisfied eating at their maintenance level, then they are eating whatever they want and not gaining. What they want to eat may be different than what you want to eat or what their envious friend wants to eat.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Back to the OP's question, I would also check out sites like Skinnytaste, SkinnyMom, and Weelicious for recipe suggestions.
  • ellidahl
    ellidahl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your slow cooker is your friend, make up a batch of chilli (veggie or meat, just use 5% mince and drain the fat), then have a smaller portion for yourself with a baked potato or some brown rice. You can either serve it up again the next day or freeze it for future use if you don't like to have the same thing 2 days in a row. Check out the slimming world recipes, they tend to be quick, easy and low calorie and the whole family can enjoy them.

http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/healthy-eating/recipes.aspx
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out skinnytaste.com. Everything that I have tried from there has been great.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods my family does just in appropriate portion sizes for my goal.
    Fast dinners:
    eggs
    personal pizza using tortilla for crust- bake 10 minutes
    Grilled sandwiches or quesadillas
    Salad
    Leftovers- soup reheats well and is easy. My dd likes minestrone.
    Pasta
    Stir fry
    Bbq sandwiches
    Use a slow cooker.

I post recipes and my monthly meal plan on my blog. https://lounmoun.wordpress.com/

I find food ideas on Pinterest a lot.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com
    http://www.skinnytaste.com
    http://www.allrecipes.com
    http://www.ohsheglows.com
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/