Running pants/tights/crops for very hot weather that you can buy online

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Summer is approaching, and I heard it's going to be a hot one here. I'm looking for something that would help me pull through the hot days. Any activewear experience with very hot weather, over 40 degrees (104 fahrenheit)? I'm good on tanks, so I'm only looking for pants.

I like looser pants because they feel more airy, but I would not mind tights if they are light enough and have good moisture control (I tend to sweat heavy). I can't do short shorts or skirts because I have large thighs and they chafe in anything shorter than a couple of inches above the knee.

I was thinking about getting some "hot yoga" tights (if such a thing exists) since they have to be designed for really hot weather and my butt is big enough to hold these awkward yoga waistbands up, but I'm still hesitant they would still ride down during a run.

Sun protection is not an issue, most of my running is done indoors. Too bad the only room that fits the treadmill has no air conditioner. I have a pedestal fan, but it's simply not the same.

I don't live in the US, but I have access to a mail forwarding service, so I can buy anything online in Canada, US, UK and Europe in general even if they don't offer international shipping (I also have access to South Africa and a few Asian and Middle Eastern countries).

Edit: I almost forgot. Any good headbands to keep the sweat out of my eyes that won't heat me up?

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Summer is approaching, and I heard it's going to be a hot one here. I'm looking for something that would help me pull through the hot days. Any activewear experience with very hot weather, over 40 degrees (104 fahrenheit)? I'm good on tanks, so I'm only looking for pants.

I like looser pants because they feel more airy, but I would not mind tights if they are light enough and have good moisture control (I tend to sweat heavy). I can't do short shorts or skirts because I have large thighs and they chafe in anything shorter than a couple of inches above the knee.

I was thinking about getting some "hot yoga" tights (if such a thing exists) since they have to be designed for really hot weather and my butt is big enough to hold these awkward yoga waistbands up, but I'm still hesitant they would still ride down during a run.

Sun protection is not an issue, most of my running is done indoors. Too bad the only room that fits the treadmill has no air conditioner. I have a pedestal fan, but it's simply not the same.

I don't live in the US, but I have access to a mail forwarding service, so I can buy anything online in Canada, US, UK and Europe in general even if they don't offer international shipping (I also have access to South Africa and a few Asian and Middle Eastern countries).

Edit: I almost forgot. Any good headbands to keep the sweat out of my eyes that won't heat me up?

It's not a good idea to run with such a temperature. Working out at night/early morning isn't an option?
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

It's not a good idea to run with such a temperature. Working out at night/early morning isn't an option?

It averages around 34-35 in the hottest months of the summer so it's still hot even if there isn't a heat wave. Early morning or night is not an option, I don't want to wake people up. My treadmill is very loud. I'm usually facing the fan with a frozen towel around my neck.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would personally shorten your run time to 15-20 minutes. Above 100°F the chance of heat stroke rises quickly.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

It averages around 34-35 in the hottest months of the summer so it's still hot even if there isn't a heat wave. Early morning or night is not an option, I don't want to wake people up. My treadmill is very loud. I'm usually facing the fan with a frozen towel around my neck.

Get your body used to the heat slowly, hydrate during the day, know the signs of heat related issues and be willing to stop your workout if needed and you'll be fine.

Personally I've found it helps if I avoid air conditioning. I drive with the window open on hot days when I don't have to look presentable for work, cut the grass during warmer parts of the day, etc. Makes exercising in heat much easier when you don't spend all your time in a/c except when you train.

Best of luck.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Body glide should eliminate your chaffing issue and allow you to wear shorts. I run when it's 100F+, and there's no way I'd run in any sort of pants or crops.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike lycra running tights, three-quarters, most of the time, summer or winter. And a wicking singlet over a sports bra. The singlets come from Kmart or BigW (Australia) and are cheap and cheerful and work just fine.
    If I was out when it's really hot, I'd probably switch to above the knee lycra shorts.
    I wear Headsweats caps - they have a built in sweat band that keeps the sweat out of my eyes. They also do visors with the same band, though I'm too vain to wear those because my hair is too mad!

Summer here can be very hot, over 40C days are not unusual. Having said that, I would never run at the hottest part of the day, that's just not going to work for me. I go out as early as possible, it's much more enjoyable then, and I'm not prepared to risk heatstroke, I won't be able to carry enough water to stay hydrated and I'm already at high enough risk of skin cancer without taking more risks.

However, if that's your only choice in terms of timing, I'd be looking at other options for fitness. Can you get to a pool, to swim? Can you work out in a cooler part of the house - maybe fitness DVD's? Is there an air-con gym you can get to ? Is there any way you can get outside to walk or run in the cooler parts of the day (though I know some places it's not easy or safe to be outside, and there aren't always cool bits)?
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I don't run in the hottest time of the day, usually 10 am or 7 pm. It's still hot and I sweat a lot though. I have nice heat control tops, adidas Climachill tank (has cooling metallic pellets on the back that feel amazing) and a New Balance mesh T shirt that is so light and airy, feels like you are wearing nothing. tops last a while and fit even if a little looser, but bottoms need to be changed often as I lose weight, so I have no good workout bottoms. I bought a bunch on sale in some generic brand locally last summer. Not going to make the same mistake this year. It's weird when you feel the bottom half overheating, so I'm not skimping on that this summer.