First day back at the gym

Options
I need beginners workout ideas.. I know i want to do the elliptical... Should I do anything else? I have a goal to be at the gym for 45 min-1 hr

Replies

• jmcfarland247
    jmcfarland247 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you're just doing cardio then you should switch it up everyday. Elliptical, treadmill, and step machine are my favorites.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The question is impossible to answer. It depends on your goals, the equipment your gym has, and most important, on what you like doing. To give you an example, unless a lot of money were involved, you would never persuade me to spend even 1 minute on the elliptical ;) Different people like different things and try to achieve different goals.
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    The question is impossible to answer. It depends on your goals, the equipment your gym has, and most important, on what you like doing. To give you an example, unless a lot of money were involved, you would never persuade me to spend even 1 minute on the elliptical ;) Different people like different things and try to achieve different goals.

ha! That's funny. I wanted to do the elliptical and try to run on the treadmill but I just got so bored.... I did a little bit of running yesterday and have sore shins now so I think I also needed a break. I ended up working on legs with machines! :) Thanks for your advice. I thought there was like some kind of proper way to do it or something haha
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Ask the trainer to give you a fit test then incorporate some of those exercises in your routine.
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

^ This
    You need a goal - loose weight, gain muscle?
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Step machine & row machine & stationary bike. If they offer classes maybe try a few.
  • robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Start slow & easy depending on current shape and increase time & resistance/level each time. Work toward a goal.
  • chalaivy
    Options
    one1fast68 wrote: »

^ This
    You need a goal - loose weight, gain muscle?

I want to do both but I'm not sure if i'll really get any muscle gain with the calories I'm setting myself at for a while. I've been at 1,200 calories pretty comfortably, but I may need to up it after I see how I feel after I've been to the gym a few times. Please nobody jump on me about the 1200 calories.
  • richfisher0821
    richfisher0821 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At least you're bk at it
  • laurark214
    laurark214 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is my advise to you..don't weight yourself everyday..do it once a month only. Through out the years I lost so much weight on the treadmill. Work hard but smart. If you don't feel hot and start to sweat after 15 mins, you are not doing it right. After you are starting to sweat, stay on for at least 15-20 mins more. Gradually increase the incline and the speed that you feel comfortable with. But always increase your next work out either by mins, incline, speed..until you reach your max.. About 5-10 mins before you finish, you need to be struggling and that when you know your body is burning calories and FAT.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Your shins shouldn't hurt that bad unless you're over doing the running or aren't wearing the right kind of shoes! If you have a high arch wearing flat shoes can give you skin splints from running even once or twice speaking from experience, don't know if that's your case but if it is that might help!
  • chalaivy
    Options
    laurark214 wrote: »
    Here is my advise to you..don't weight yourself everyday..do it once a month only. Through out the years I lost so much weight on the treadmill. Work hard but smart. If you don't feel hot and start to sweat after 15 mins, you are not doing it right. After you are starting to sweat, stay on for at least 15-20 mins more. Gradually increase the incline and the speed that you feel comfortable with. But always increase your next work out either by mins, incline, speed..until you reach your max.. About 5-10 mins before you finish, you need to be struggling and that when you know your body is burning calories and FAT.

That's a good way to look at it... Thank you for the advice :)
  • chalaivy
    Options
    Your shins shouldn't hurt that bad unless you're over doing the running or aren't wearing the right kind of shoes! If you have a high arch wearing flat shoes can give you skin splints from running even once or twice speaking from experience, don't know if that's your case but if it is that might help!

Yeah I have no idea. I looked into it a little bit and mostly what I found was its because I'm not a "seasoned" runner... Which is true, I never got past running a mile straight before. I'll try changing my shoes... What do u mean skin splints?