PCOS success with weightloss

Options
13»

Replies

• katanak9
    katanak9 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @Amandalowe992013 Thanks for that!

PCOS is such a weird condition. Seems it has a range of severity, but how bad the symptoms are don't necessarily indicate fertility. My symptoms are insulin resistance, overweight (I carry my weight in my belly especially) and my ovaries look like they're wrapped in bubble wrap. Skin isn't great, but could be worse. No excessive hair issues.

I was told I was unlikely to conceive when I was 26. I accepted that and moved on with life, knowing I wouldn't have children. But then last year, I lost 15kg in preparation for my wedding - and I fell pregnant. Everyone was dumbfounded. I ended up having a MC, which was devastating. I'm ok now, but for a long while it really affected me. Now I'm trying to focus on losing weight to be healthy and live life how I want to - but I admit that at the back of my mind there's a tiny little hope that maybe it'll happen again.

@Kelly_2013 - not sure if this helps, but it is possible to have periods without ovulating. Sometimes the hormones don't peak enough to trigger ovulation (or cysts block the egg coming out), but the body carries on with a period on thinking it's business as usual. Crazy stuff. Happened to me. So even when periods are regular, it's still no guarantee that those hormones are behaving themselves like they should.

But from all I've read and heard, losing weight seems to help. And Amanda is proof that with hard work, it IS possible, even with insulin resistance :-)

Sorry for the novel and TMI ladies! But gosh it's nice to share with women who understand!
  • LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Helpful tips for carb hacks: pizza crust and or dough based items, try CAULIFLOWER :) you can also use cauliflower to make tortillas :)

(After pizza crust, I'll give you a pasta noodle substitute; spaghetti squash)

Pizza crust:
    Ingredients
    Garlic powder, Italian seasoning, thyme, oregano
    (or whatever spices you like for pizza)
    2 eggs
    1 head of cauliflower

1. Either with a food processor or cheese grater, grind up cauliflower (size of grain of rice).

2. Place ground pieces into a pot of water, boil on stove under texture of mash potatoes.

3. Drain out all the excess water and pat dry

4. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray

5. Mix two eggs in with cauliflower and mash together.

6. Place mixture onto baking sheet, flatten dough into shape of a pizza. Then use your spices to place on top of dough.

7. Set oven to 450 and place into oven for 10-13 min. Remove and add sauce with additional toppings and cheese. Bake an additional 12-15 (until top is cheese is Melted)

Enjoy!

Now if you're a pasta lover, think about SPAGHETTI SQUASH (vegetable by potatoes;yellow)

1. Poke knife in and out, in direction as you will cut squash in half.

2. Place on microwave safe dish; 3-5min to soften squash.

3. Cut squash in half

4. Use a spoon to scrape out seeds

5. Olive oil and season both halves (I use pepper and garlic powder, add spices after it cooks)

6. On a baking sheet place face down. Place into preheated oven at 375 for 35min.

7. Wait for it to cool, use a fork to drag through each middle of each halve. This strings out like spaghetti. Enjoy with pasta sauce and or Alfredo with chicken and or fish with or without more veggies.

Enjoy! :) (carb hacks)

I have to save this somewhere and try it ASAP.
  • LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am late to this party (thread) but I have PCOS and have been trying to get my weight under control since I was in 5th grade! Now I know I do better when the carbs are out of my life so I have been trying to decide between Keto and Atkins. Can't wait to go through this thread again and read some more of the tips. Thank you so much for sharing!
  • mojonah
    mojonah Posts: 92 Member
    Options

32vvme127s9h.jpeg

Congrats on great achievement.
  • PCOS_VICTOR
    PCOS_VICTOR Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you aim for?
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you aim for?

Honestly it depends, I’m more so listening to my body on what and when to eat. I do a lot of cardio about an hour to hour 1/2 a day I like to burn 200carbs a day.

Personally speaking, I break down my carbs by aiming to eat more in the morning/early afternoon and aim to eat low/moderate carbs for evening.

My mentally for myself in what I eat, is think like a diabetic (due to the insulin resistance).

If you break down a couple snack periods by snacking 12-15carbs. The heaviest meal being no greater than 40-45carbs.

I personally will not eat foods that have a carb count serving wise, over 30. I rather find other foods that will fill me and I can eat more of, then take in too much at one time.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    LMSCROGG wrote: »
    I am late to this party (thread) but I have PCOS and have been trying to get my weight under control since I was in 5th grade! Now I know I do better when the carbs are out of my life so I have been trying to decide between Keto and Atkins. Can't wait to go through this thread again and read some more of the tips. Thank you so much for sharing!

You’re welcome! Keto is amazing! I’m on pintrest and honestly, I’m searching recipes from Vegan, Keto and Paleo. Anything that looks amazing and tasty, with a low carb count. 😊

• Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    If you’d like to follow my recipes on Pinterest for healthy ideas, amandagreek23 is my username 😊 I’m continuing to search through meal plans that help my needs.

Anyone who’s has a Costco, there’s an amazing Margarita Cauliflower pizza. I share this, since I don’t have to meal prep for that and my love for pizza. I like to treat myself to healthier alternatives, when I have a craving!

Trail mix, with peanuts, raisins, sun flower kernels, m&ms have been my go to for craving treats. I also love the Nature Valley bars, they have peanut butter or malt flavored. Again, those are great treats and those have about 18carbs a bar. Another treat, fudge popsicles (18carbs). As you can see, I love chocolate and sweets! Lol.

Cauliflower rice, has been an added bonus that you can buy at the store! I’d suggest to cut carbs and fill out meals, the best way clean wise as possible. I still love spaghetti squash as my pasta, to also go under several flavorful entrees.

• Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    katanak9 wrote: »
    I'm another PCOS person... And I'm 36. Sorry if this is a personal question- Just wondering how many of you successfully fell pregnant after losing weight? I'm at the start of my journey (in terms of weight loss) but my doctor gave me the impression that pregnancy was unlikely, partially because of the PCOS and partially because of my age. Would love to hear some 'proved them wrong ' stories.

Im sorry I missed this! Not sure where you are, on your journey with pregnancy ect.

I’ll say, With your Dr flat out telling pregnancy was unlikely was possibly so you could begin healing mentally and be prepared for the possibility.

I’m not sure how severe your PCOS is/was during time of conversation. I do know, if follicular cysts are causing any sort of blockage that yes, this can make it nearly impossible without having the blockage surgically cleared. Again, that may not be your case, I’m just sharing how those cysts could be problematic. Another, is your progesterone low? I went through Two consecutive MC, then was placed on progesterone until I was 12wk pregnant, when I fell pregnant after the second Miscarriage. Also, I’m not sure how much weight you needed to lose to have a suggested healthier pregnancy. That would be another factor and why Dr showed concern.

I would say, there’s always hope. The Dr being openly honest of all the higher risks is unfortunately a large truth, even for women who do not have PCOS and over 35.

• Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    Hey ladies, who suffer from PCOS just letting you know there’s hope. Trying to bump an old post of mine, to show ways that helped 😊
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!