Fit in your 40s, The struggle is real!

Options
2»

Replies

• cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    44 and the fittest I've ever been. Using a food scale and tracking my caloric solids meticulously and measuring my caloric liquids helped me lose and keep over 40lbs off for the last 3 years.
  • StaPositv
    StaPositv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For those of you of a more mature age, what works for you when attempting to lose weight? I have been struggling for months trying to lose 12 pounds. I have always been able to keep my weight in check through diet and exercise but now in my mid 40s, my weight is creeping up and what use to work, doesn't anymore.

You've received quite the variety in responses. I guess it is easier to feel fit as ever if you were able to maintain your weight all your life. I'm 45 and recently began refocusing on my fitness and lose weight. I loss track while working on my master's degree, and am a single mother. I feel is has been more difficult, but only because I think I was a bit in denial of what I was eating and how much I was eating and I also have neuro-muscular issues that I must accommodate or make adjustments to prevent complete muscle fatigue. So, I guess it depends on what you are use to and what changes you are willing to make. Proper nutrition is essential and balance with exercise is another key component. My life in my 40's is not the same as it was in my 20's and 30's. Putting in the exercise time takes effort and planning. So, whether it's harder because of slower metabolism or if it's a change in lifestyle due to natural changes in life may all be individual. Sometimes what 'always' worked doesn't work because your body is different now or your general activity level (life) is different. However, if you track your food intake, focus on healthy food choices, and increase your activity eventually you'll lose weight. Don't forget some strength training - lean muscle burns more calories and is good for your overall health.

Best wishes to you in your journey.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Down around 40 lbs in he past 4 months...,eating well and going on the gym regularly. Nothing more nothing less....
  • orange_hoodie
    orange_hoodie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you feel you've been consistent and this change is unexplained it might be worth a trip to the doc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    At 60 (menopausal, hypothyroid), what worked for me was eating less, but eating healthily, weighing food when I can, estimating when I must, maintaining a calorie deficit most days. I was already pretty active, so I haven't increased exercise by a whole lot. April 2015 SW 183, CW 118, now trying to zero in on maintenance calories.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and very happy I started lifting weights in my 20's.

I'm active and I think it actually has gotten easier with age, but that's mostly consistency. What I do notice, as someone up thread mentioned, is that recovery time is greater. But don't use age as an excuse to give up on yourself.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Imo gers easier with age. Your kids generally don't need you to wipe their butts. You can leave them on their own a bit when you workout and\or they are able to workout with you at a challenging level.

They are old enough to understand you don't keep a bunch of junk food around and you eat for your health.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Digital food scale with a TARE button. Get one. Use it.

And personally a fan of higher intensity cardio, but that isn't required.

45, down 42 pounds in 4 months.

Yep. Age is just an excuse. Get a food scale - log accurately. Keep a calorie deficit. Watch the scale go down. (Age 43 here)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely fitter at 40 than I was at 30. It's all about effort.
  • mhannus
    mhannus Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

/
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am in better shape now than since I was 30 years old.
    Age 64
    SW 290
    CW 130
    Started MFP @ age 60 on 3/12/12
    Been on maintenance for over 2 years.
    Staying within calorie limit, portion control, moderation in all foods, moving more. Consistency is key, no matter the age, as long as there are no health issues. Determination and perseverance helps as well.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    @ronjsteele1 I am a huge BFL fan too! I got a lot of resistance about it on another thread. Everything is so simple and I consistently lose 1.5 lbs of fat a week on it. Even with the free day.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    @ronjsteele1 I am a huge BFL fan too! I got a lot of resistance about it on another thread. Everything is so simple and I consistently lose 1.5 lbs of fat a week on it. Even with the free day.

@melissa6771 & @ronjsteele1 Glad I'm not the only one out there. It's out of fashion, but not out of relevance. I'm finishing up week 9. I didn't have a lot to lose, but starting to see big composition changes.