Going over sugars ok? is there good sugars?

Options
So I am making brunch, and I was entering in the food i was planning to have which was a cup and a half of popcorn shrimp, a lowfat yogurt, and a cup of applesauce. My question is that with only those three things I am way over my sugar limit for the day. So I was woundering if I should be worried about that and not eat the yogurt and applesauce? Those two things I thought would be healthy and good but the numbers are saying different.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Forget about the macros and stay in budget. Sugar doesn't make you fat, fat doesn't make you fat, eating too much makes you fat.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't bother myself with them.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I only pay attention to calories and protein to be honest. Not sure if there's such a thing as "good sugar/bad sugar" BUT most diet plans (like Weight Watchers and Slimming World for ex) say that you can eat as much fruit as you want, and that has a lot of sugar.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have no health issues, then don't worry too much about it. The sugar level on MFP is pretty low. IMO natural sugars are better than refined sugars so if most of my sugar is coming from fruit/dairy etc then even better!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think you can be fine going over the sugar limit, especially if you're eating at a deficit, but honestly? You've had 80g of carbs today and 68g of those carbs are sugar. I personally think that's too much and it's likely your yogurt and applesauce are loaded with added sugar. If it matters to you chances are good you'd be able to find brands of yogurt and applesauce with a lot less sugar if look for them.

Yarwell posted an excellent FAQ on sugar which gives some guidelines for what some health organizations consider a reasonable amount of total sugar you should be eating from all sources. It's definitely worth the read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq
  • hannah1011z
    hannah1011z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thats true. Thank you guys. :) It does make sense that suger from apples and grapes ect. would be better then sugar from like candy. :) Thanks.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If the applesauce is unsweetened, then you're fine. I would question lowfat yogurt, as it's often really high in added sugars. That being said, if a small container of yogurt staves off cravings for something sweet and creamy, go for it!

MFP can't distinguish between fruit sugars and added, so don't worry about it at all.