Clothing and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    THRIFT STORES FTW!!!!!! (ftw=for the win)

It is like Christmas shopping for brand names clothes.... <3 thrift!!
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have been buying pants that have draw string in them and can tighten them as needed and change sizes as the seasons change and i have lost 100 lbs and i buy t-shirts and my clothes come stores like walmart but like stores like Roses its a discount store
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thrift store, drop some off, pick some up.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    All of my basics come from walmart - tshirts, tanks, and underoos.
    I am busty, so I hit up Torrid for bras as they are affordable, well made, and actually attractive. I watch sales.
    Ross, Marshalls sometimes.
    We do a lot of thrift shopping and pawn shopping in general as it is something we enjoy to do, and I've found some good steals that way.

I donate everything once it hits the "OMG THIS IS RIDICULOUS" phase, or my fella makes a comment about my jeans making my butt look saggy. I don't want them around to fall back on. The exception is my one pair of go-to jeans that I wore forever. I put them on every now and again, and I hope to one day have the crazy pic with one of my kids standing in them with me.
  • llwolford
    llwolford Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am in the same boat...have dropped three sizes since January. I think it is important that you treat yourself with a least one outfit or pair of jeans that truly fit. It is also helpful...because if you are wearing clothing that is too loose you can not tell when they are getting a little snug. Gives you more opportunity to go backwards. Clothing swaps are great. Especially if you belong to a gym or an accountability group. I used to keep all my clothes...now I get rid of them. I just gave away all my clothes to some who just dropped weight themselves. If not, I agree clearance racks, thrift shops, etc. But look to see if there are clothing swaps in your area....you get blessed and you bless someone else.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I totally get you! I've lost a lot of weight and gone from a size 28 to a 14 (still not finished losing, obviously), and it's really hard for me to move on with my clothes. I feel like 1) I spent money on this shirt, I'm going to wear it even if it's 3 sizes too big and 2) I don't have money for something new.

Definitely thrift stores--Goodwill, Am Fam, consignment shops. You also might want to do more of a "bare minimum"--no reason to flush out your wardrobe if you are going to continue with your weight loss. Also, if you have friends or family who are willing to help, see if you can raid their closets. My mom has lost a little weight (not nearly as much as I have, but about 2 sizes), so I've got a lot of her hand-me-downs.

Also, depending on your size, you might be able to shop at places like Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and other stores that tend to sell cheaper clothes. I used to be too big for those places, but I was pleasantly surprised when I recently went to Old Navy and fit in their extra-large size.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are your friend, plus consignment shops and sites like Craigslist or Freecycle. For professional wear there are internet rental sites like Gywnnie Bee. My daughter was a big fan of Rent the Runway for special events like prom. If you have a black tie wedding or fundraiser to attend you can rent a beautiful red carpet look in your current size for about $100 and enjoy the photos forever.
    Read up on capsule wardrobes. Like a travel wardrobe they carry you through a season or two with a minimal number of easily mixed and matched pieces. I live this way even when I'm not losing weight. I create a main capsule wardrobe for fall semester each year. Then I add things for spring and summer sessions. At the end of my vacation break I reevaluate everything. Some items go on into my new work capsule and others get downgraded to weekends/lounge only or donated. I hate jumbling through a closet stuffed with crappy choices just to get dressed in the morning. And with capsule planning you cut down on the random accessories and underpinnings you need too. I've gone from a 12 to a 6 in jeans over 9 months. In tops I've gone from large to medium. Fortunately I have broad shoulders and long arms so my size large jackets are fine, just a little slouchier than usual. I work as a school sub so I don't wear heavily tailored items, more something like a jean jacket, motorcycle jacket, ponte stretch blazer or trench coat. All very forgiving silhouettes. I used to get very attached to my quality denim but now I view all my clothes as more transitory in nature. I keep it simple, minimal & fluid. My frye boots, gorgeous sandal collection, and artist made statement jewelry is forever. Jeans, tees, skirts, button ups and even sweaters or jackets are just for a few seasons at most. I wear the hell out of what little I have & then I move on to some new pieces and looks.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I buy new pants - try to find them on sale. Shirts generally last a bit longer and don't have to be replaced as often as pants.

When you do wear clothes that fit again, everyone will notice your weight loss. :)
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I mostly wear free size clothes or treggings, the latter usually from Marks & Spencer (unless I'm going somewhere dressy). The treggings are almost like pregnancy pants :lol: Usually buy them one size smaller. For example, I bought a UK size 16 when I was an 18, and wore them until I was a size 14. Then bought a 12, and finally an 8. Good quality, not too expensive and one size can outlast a lot of weight loss.

(edited for typo)
  • scolaris
    Options
    The person who creates the 10 piece weight-loss capsule with modifications to take a wash and wear but professional looking assortment of basics through about 3 sizes could make a FORTUNE! you know, things like the inner button adjuster in kids pants, and tees and jackets with inconspicuous venting that could be let in or out...
  • scolaris
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Anyway, all my big money these days gets directed at technical outdoor wear and a wicked running shoe habit. Walking over 100k steps a week means I kill a pair of running shoes every 10-12 weeks.
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have been removing the too big items from my closet and am running out of options as well. I'm pretty sure that most of my summer clothes will be too big too. I'm a fan of places like TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's. You can't go there if you need something in particular, but if you like treasure hunting it can be fun. They are a good resource for bras and undies as well. A $40 bra is commonly marked down to less than $10 on their racks.

I've been lurking in the local kohl's and target trying to figure out what size I wear now and what departments I can shop in. It is like exploring exotic countries I've never been to before! I haven't been brave enough to go in to any of the non-fat lady stores in the mall yet, but I did try on a pair of jeans at Old Navy that were too big for me. That was worthy of dancing in the dressing room!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thrift/consignment stores.

These have been a total lifesaver! In our area we have a chain called Savers. They take donations of clothes, shoes and household items and sell them at great, low prices. The proceeds help local Big Brother/Big Sisters programs. I can donate what no longer fits and replace them with great stuff that does and I'm helping my community at the same time. Love it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    When I was in between I just shopped at cheaper stores like Kohls and bought a few things to hold me over.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Belt.
  • helenlovesruby
    helenlovesruby Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Dresses are more forgiving x
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am also at what I consider my I between weight - I lost 22 pounds in half a year. Some of my old clothes still fit me, some are me definitely too big.

Charity shops (that's what we call them here in the UK) have been really useful as source of cheep clothing. My best advice is look for clothes bundles on eBay. I was incredibly lucky there. There is a brand of dresses I know fit me perfectly at my current weight - it's a UK brand of clothing for ladies with larger breasts - and I found someone selling a whole bundle of them on eBay. I got seven dresses, a jacket and a top for £30 total. Four of the dresses fit me perfectly now, and the other three will fit me when I lose another couple of pounds.