Advice for toning

Options
Hi there,

Basically, so far I've lost 25lbs, pretty pleased with myself, but I most noticably have a very small amount of excess just on top of my hips.

Apparently they're commonly known as love handles. Well, I certainly don't love them, any advice on which specific exercises (E.G. Side plank) to do to pull them in a bit at the same time as me dieting to lose the excess fat?

Cheers!

J

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The best workout plan (which doesn't exist) will not give you results if your diet is sub-par. The number one thing for losing fat is diet.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My diet's fine, I'm just asking for the most effective obliques exercise.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Pilates / barre is getting rid of mine.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Keep on yup of your diet, add in some cardio to burn off excess fat pet se and side/normal planks, crunches, burpees, my pilates and six pack DVDs have great core and tummy exercises including oblique work...I use Jillian Michaels and those regimes are amazing!
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Squats and deads are among the best ab and oblique exercise. Another one to try, if you workout in a gym is called palof press.
    http://www.sportsrehabexpert.com/public/244.cfm
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    To get rid of them you need to lower your body fat percentage. Eventually the excess fat will be gone. For many people, that is one ofthe last places fat is lost.
  • jollyjoe321
    Options
    All great suggestions guys, thanks! :D

Are sets of scales that you stand on while barefoot which send impulses into your feet accurate at detecting your body fat percentage? =)
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    No such thing as spot reduction.

Exercise will not help you remove fat from a specific area. It will help you build muscle underneath the layer of fat.

Eating healthy at a caloric deficit will ensure fat loss.
  • jollyjoe321
    Options
    I was more thinking of not spot fat loss, but toning a particular spot, like I have with my abs
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My diet's fine, I'm just asking for the most effective obliques exercise.

There are "effective" oblique exercises to strengthen muscle but not spot reduce. To lose the love handles, you have to lose the overall body fat and that is done by eating at a calorie deficit. That's what people are saying in regards to your diet.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately those body fat scales are notoriously inaccurate. I generally rely on the mirror, but there are other, more accurate, ways to measure body fat if interested.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I was more thinking of not spot fat loss, but toning a particular spot, like I have with my abs

Strengthening an area is one thing. But what you are asking is still about reducing fat in a certain area. whether you say reduction or toning a certain area - same thing in your case and so no. not happening. There are strength training programs like Stronglifts, NROL, Wendler and Starting Strength that will help you with strengthening your body, but there is no program that will legitimately spot reduce fat or tone an area like you are wanting.

ETA: If you really are that insistent about a spot reduction solution, then there is always liposuction.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions guys, thanks! :D

Are sets of scales that you stand on while barefoot which send impulses into your feet accurate at detecting your body fat percentage? =)

Not that I have found...

I have one of those scales and it shows my body fat was 39%. My handheld body fat tester had me at 44%. I met with a trainer at the Y where I workout and she did a skin fold test and my body fat was actually 29%.
  • jollyjoe321
    Options
    Unfortunately those body fat scales are notoriously inaccurate. I generally rely on the mirror, but there are other, more accurate, ways to measure body fat if interested.

Any cheeky tips on what to google to find them? =) Thanks!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Any cheeky tips on what to google to find them? =) Thanks!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods
  • jollyjoe321
    Options
    Thanks very much, you've been very helpful! :happy:
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Thanks very much, you've been very helpful! :happy:

If you go to the link, it is posted in the Eat Train Progress group. I'd read all the stickies. It's all great info to know. Sara and Sidesteel could offer you help with figuring out your bodyfat %. There is a sticky with how.

ETA: I realized that sounded kinda spammy. To note, Sara and Sidesteel help people in the ETP group for free.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Can't help you since "toning" doesn't really exist.

If you want to strengthen the obliques though basically any type of side crunch will directly contract them. As mentioned squats, deadlifts and rows are other great strengthening (indirectly) exercises for obliques.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Try something called hip twists. They have really helped tighten up my love handles.

Get into a plank position on your elbows. Twist your hips outwards to each side.

I will do about 50 and I'm sore the next day! They really work your obliques.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as toning. What people mean by "toning" is achieved by building muscles, and separately, lowering your body fat percentage enough so that the muscles can be seen. You can't choose where fat comes off of your body. Your genetics determine that. Basically, get yourself in a good strength training routine that works your whole body, get your diet under control, and do some cardio to help burn fat.