Could I run around an island by this summer?

Options
I just did w5d3 of C25k (2x8min runs). I currently run only on a treadmill, since I run at 4:30 or 5 am while my kids sleep.

I have been daydreaming about running around an island, which is 5.7 miles. In 2003 I used to be able to do this regularly, even twice around, as I trained for a half marathon. I'm wondering if, by the end of summer, it's a realistic goal to run outside 5.7 miles again?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    You keep at it I see no reason why not. It's less than 10K. You're doing Couch to 5K. I increase my usual distance (4.75 miles) for my long runs on Saturday to 10K.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. Just try not to over train and injure yourself in prep.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You definitely can. Stay with your plan and you'll be doing 5K (3.1 miles) in just a few weeks. There are some programs like Bridge to 10K to take you from 5K to 10K in a few more weeks. Just build slowly like you have been, and start getting some outside runs when you can to get used to hills and wind, etc. You got this! B)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Yes I think it's reasonable, and great to have goals!

2nd Bridge to 10k. There's also Hal Higdon's 10k beginner programs or One Hour Runner (you would start after completing C25k).
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Sand or (dirt, paved) path? Last two shouldn't be overly difficult given your current conditioning. Getting in shape to do a beach run of that distance would be a stretch. Definitely need to start adding some outdoor runs into your training, 'tho -- it's a whole different world from treadmill running.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Should be no problem depending on your health, joints, and time you put in training.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    To do it easily it would be ideal if at least 1 run a week-preferably your long one could be outside. Even if you have to get a sitter it will really help the transition from treadmill to outside running.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    That sounds very reasonable to me. You are on a good path with C25K, just keep on building up your distance once you are done.
    I do think running outside is very different than running on a treadmill though - different surfaces, weather and environment factors are going to come into play. If there's any way to get a bit of outdoor training that might be of use too.

I also suggest that you don't focus too much on time at this stage - build up your distance gradually, then worry about speed once you have the distance in your legs. And if you need to build in walk breaks along the way, then that's OK too.

For me, it's all about building up distance and time out on the road without injuring myself - so I run slowly and I take breaks. That's got me through a bunch of 10 and 12k races, injury free, even when I'm not as fit as I'd like to be.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :)
    It is a partially paved and partially dirt road, but not a beach.
    I don't really have a long run yet, but maybe once there isn't snow on the ground my weekend run can be outside.