3 Years+ Maintainers-do you track calories Yes/No?

Options
ReaderGirl3
ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
edited April 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
A thread in the general weight loss area has piqued my curiosity about weight management adherence and tracking/not tracking calories. I'm wondering how many here, who have been in maintenance for 3 years or more, still track their calories on a regular basis vs those who are able to maintain without tracking?

Replies

• pmart611
    pmart611 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes - it's a must for me. I'm at 3 1/2 years now maintaining an 80 lb loss and I know if I stop tracking, I will slip backwards. It's worth the time to plan and track.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    No, my eating is intuitive now, but that was after tracking every day for 3 years.
    We learn by doing, and now, I just look at food - any food...and know the calories and macro balance.
    Same with exercise burn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Three years next week...I haven't tracked anything in three years...no issues.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I still track everything. EVERYTHING. It's easy and takes very little time at this point, I'm a numbers and data person being an engineer, and with the amount of activity I do and focus on fitness improvements, it helps me stay focused on fueling properly and keeping an eye on my nutrition. Also, even on those days where I'm not concerned about nutrition and just eating for the pure joy of it (e.g. Christmas), it's fun to see how much I can pack away ;) I top out at around 6000 calories before I'm uncomfortably full.

edit: I know some folks see logging as training wheels to learn how to eat. Some do well at it. Some have issues and start to creep up unless they log, even if it's just sporadically to keep them in check. Personally, I probably could quit logging at this point and be okay, but I like having the data and it doesn't take much effort.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm even experimenting with a small cut right now without logging...so far, so good...I thought I might have to log for a month or two, but I'm dropping weight nicely.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I do, because I find my weight drops without it. Sometimes I take breaks of about a month when I find it tedious, but I generally like knowing what my intake is as it means I'm fuelling myself appropriately for the amount of exercise I try to do.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I've only stopped tracking recently, although I have done that on and off for more than a year...
    It's working nicely for me but I still mentally total what I've eaten, I think that's a good habit.

I think it's up to the individual what suits them - I always say, each to their own :smile:

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I track about half the year, usually after Christmas holidays for some reason! It's usually only a pound or three I want to lose, but I can't tolerate carrying any weight anymore. I love tracking, it's very relaxing, no worries, I know I'm getting my macros and I don't have to panic.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm even experimenting with a small cut right now without logging...so far, so good...I thought I might have to log for a month or two, but I'm dropping weight nicely.

Well done. You've become instinctive. (Like a wolf!)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yes, I track 95% of the time. I dont track on holidays/vacations or if I feel like I need some time off (which never lasts long cause I always miss logging lol)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking thread for October 2017 :D
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    I still track 80% of the time and have been in maintenance for 12 years.

12 years is amazing! That's fantastic, great job!
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So it looks like so far there's 6 yes's and 3 no's, and then 1 who does a mix, depending on the time of year (springfield). Keep em' coming!
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    No more logging food after getting to target range. But that was after logging everything for six months. Now logging weight everyday keeps me on track, and if out of range then I make qualitative adjustments to diet, rather than recording quantities - it's much less effort.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining an 80 pound loss for 3 years next month.

I'm very mindful of what I eat, I plan my meals out in advance and I write down what I eat in my food journal everyday, but I do not count calories hardcore or log.
  • ronaldmac
    ronaldmac Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »
    No, my eating is intuitive now, but that was after tracking every day for 3 years.
    We learn by doing, and now, I just look at food - any food...and know the calories and macro balance.
    Same with exercise burn.
    I track about half the year, usually after Christmas holidays for some reason! It's usually only a pound or three I want to lose, but I can't tolerate carrying any weight anymore. I love tracking, it's very relaxing, no worries, I know I'm getting my macros and I don't have to panic.
    No more logging food after getting to target range. But that was after logging everything for six months. Now logging weight everyday keeps me on track, and if out of range then I make qualitative adjustments to diet, rather than recording quantities - it's much less effort.

• ronaldmac
    ronaldmac Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Been in maintenance mode for almost 5 years and I still track every day. Keeps me aware
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Coming up on 2 years in maintenance and track every day. Intend to continue indefinitely. Keeps me aware and honest ;)