What you eat vs. how much you eat?

Options
My friend and I are both trying to lose weight, and today we got into a bit of a debate. We show each other our food diaries, and she noted that every day I have had a couple marshmallow peeps and a couple squares of dark chocolate. I have stayed well within my calorie range, but each day I DO indulge in something sweet I enjoy such as those stated above or the healthier brownies that I made from a Hungry Girl cookbook.
I feel like this is okay because I stay within my calorie goal. I understand that the whole amount of calories shouldn't be devoted to sweets and such, but a little bit each day shouldn't hinder my weight loss should it? Isn't healthy eating supposed to be a sustainable thing for your whole life? I couldn't go forever without chocolate or my beloved marshmallow peeps! Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories and macros then enjoy.. ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I personally follow your position.

The goal, for me, wasn't to lose weight. It was to lose weight and maintain it -- I'm not willing to give up things like wine or french fries for the rest of my life, so I ate them sometimes when I was losing weight.

For weight loss, it is the amount of calories you consume. And if having a couple of Peeps or a couple squares of chocolate makes it easier for you to stay on plan, I think it is a fantastic strategy.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is something that many MFP-ers (including myself...with limitations) live by. If It Fits Your Macros. That being said, you should be paying attention to much more than just your calorie intake. Make sure you are staying within your sugar limit and reaching your protein goal daily. This ensures that you are eating nutritional food in addition to your indulgences.
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! And I did need to read that bit about paying attention to the other parts food diary. My sugar has gone beyond the goal a couple times as well as my sodium.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Let me start by saying I follow IIFYM. But you need to hit your macros for it to work. I have a few friends who will eat a lot of sweets/treats, hit their carb goal, be under calorie goal by 100-200, and under their protein goal by a lot as well. And then question why they are not losing weight.

so if you are losing weight and still fitting in treats, feel good during the day, and satisfied with your food choices, then continue to do as you are. but,if you are not feeling good and are not losing weight then try to cut the treats down to every other day.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    As far as losing weight goes, as long as you are in a deficit it will happen. I never paid attention to macros while losing, I just worried about staying in deficit... Cuz for me that was hard enough! Didn't need to throw anything else in the mix! So, no, you don't have to hit your macros to lose. But if you're worried about nutrition, then yes pay attention to macros. I've been in maintenance for almost 6 months now, after losing 28 pounds NOT paying attention to macros, and for the past 6 months, since I've been in maintenance, I do both: deficit and macros and I follow IIFYM so that means I eat treats (almost) on the daily!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Let me start by saying I follow IIFYM. But you need to hit your macros for it to work. I have a few friends who will eat a lot of sweets/treats, hit their carb goal, be under calorie goal by 100-200, and under their protein goal by a lot as well. And then question why they are not losing weight.

so if you are losing weight and still fitting in treats, feel good during the day, and satisfied with your food choices, then continue to do as you are. but,if you are not feeling good and are not losing weight then try to cut the treats down to every other day.

They must not be under their calorie goal then... and if they think they are, they are logging incorrectly because as long as they are in a deficit they WILL lose weight (aside from some medical issues that may prevent it, but that's a rare and extreme case)!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your macros so much. When you get close to goal, you can tweak them.
    People try and make things more complicated than they need to be, because there is a deep-seated belief that you must suffer :)

Stay within your deficit. That's all that's needed for weight loss.

And btw, the new fad is that sugar is evil, (or fats, or carbs, or whatever). Just ignore. Eat what you always eat, just less of it....
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Don't worry about your macros so much. When you get close to goal, you can tweak them.
    People try and make things more complicated than they need to be, because there is a deep-seated belief that you must suffer :)

Stay within your deficit. That's all that's needed for weight loss.

And btw, the new fad is that sugar is evil, (or fats, or carbs, or whatever). Just ignore. Eat what you always eat, just less of it....

THIS!!!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I successfully lost the weight I set out to lose (30 lbs) and am currently maintaining and did not give up any of the foods/drinks I enjoy. I have wine and something sweet pretty much every day, and also did while I was in a deficit too. What I found worked best for me was to focus on staying within my calorie goal, eating a variety of nutrient dense foods, trying to get b/w 80-100g of protein a day, and incorporating some exercise every single day.

You can do all of that without following IIFYM, for what it's worth, although many people find that playing around with their macro balance between carbs/fat/protein helps them achieve their goals because they may find a particular macro to be more satiating than others.

Long story short, what matters for weight loss is that you are in a calorie deficit. Sounds like you've got this all figured out already.

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    It's fine but it's also easy to over indulge. Granted you could eat like a dozen peeps for like 500 cals. It shouldn't hinder your weight loss if you're logging accurately and bring honest with yourself, but I'm going to toss out there that if you back off them a while you won't want them as much. I try not to be a slave to any craving, but I can still enjoy treats as I please.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    If it fits in my calories, fine. I had a dark chocolate square last night, it was tasty. I've tried to break myself of the need for sugary treats though because it means more room for other foods. When the urge hits, I follow it though.
    I used to be critical of what others ate, blah blah blah but that just sounds preachy (ok I often feel preachy when talking about weight loss).
    Eat what you want so you don't have those massive cravings, and work on figuring out what is best for you. You may not always have the extra calories to eat everything you usually do, so having all that in your life may not be a sustainable change.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Just for "Ha-Ha"s , I want to have a day where I eat NOTHING BUT "JUNK" but stay in my calorie range. I think the worse that will happen is a tummy-ache! But I think it will be fun! LOL!
  • jillmarie125
    Options

They must not be under their calorie goal then... and if they think they are, they are logging incorrectly because as long as they are in a deficit they WILL lose weight (aside from some medical issues that may prevent it, but that's a rare and extreme case)!
    Oh i am sure their logging isn't accurate either. I get the whole cals in vs cals out. but if their diary says it, it must be true.

my whole point was, if you are eating treats and you are progressing the way you want, go for it. if you are not progressing, then try cutting out the treats or not as often.
  • jillmarie125
    Options
    As far as losing weight goes, as long as you are in a deficit it will happen. I never paid attention to macros while losing, I just worried about staying in deficit... Cuz for me that was hard enough! Didn't need to throw anything else in the mix! So, no, you don't have to hit your macros to lose. But if you're worried about nutrition, then yes pay attention to macros. I've been in maintenance for almost 6 months now, after losing 28 pounds NOT paying attention to macros, and for the past 6 months, since I've been in maintenance, I do both: deficit and macros and I follow IIFYM so that means I eat treats (almost) on the daily!

Losing my first 50, i followed just a calorie deficit. then lifting happened. I wanted to lift more and have better workouts. Thats when I started to track macros and lost another 40. Tracking macros has made the way i feel and perform so much better. I wish I started it sooner.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My whole life I have been yo-yo during because I always had to restrict myself. With MFP I still get to eat pizza, French fries, and chocolate. And if I do binge, it's not the end, I start back up the next day like nothing happened.
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure I know what a "macro" even is at this point! I've been mostly paying attention to staying under the calorie goal and working out a bit every day. I'm just getting started, so paying attention to calories has been a big deal for me. I've lost 5 pounds since I started using this site (a little over a week ago) so something must be working!
  • jillmarie125
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure I know what a "macro" even is at this point! I've been mostly paying attention to staying under the calorie goal and working out a bit every day. I'm just getting started, so paying attention to calories has been a big deal for me. I've lost 5 pounds since I started using this site (a little over a week ago) so something must be working!

Then keep doing what you are doing! everything else is just opinion and advice. obviously what you are doing is working. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Macro is just short for Macronutrients. Fat, protein, and carbs.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Eat what you want girl!if it's within your goal for the day then you're ok. I wouldnt do it obsessively but I don't limit myself on anything and I still lose as long as I weigh and measure. Ignore the friend.