Fitbit vs exercise machine

Options
So basically went to the gym, used the treadmill and I'd burnt 220 calories according to it. However checked on my Fitbit blaze and it said 329 now I want to believe my Fitbit for obvious reasons lol. But what do you guys think?

I know both aren't hugely accurate but what would you say is most accurate because I am aware that machines often overestimate so this got me confused.

Cheers.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, go with the lower number when it is burning calories and go with the higher number when its consuming calories.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What was your avg HR for the workout and did the treadmill factor in HR?

Also did the treadmill have your stats plugged in?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,863 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit is an all day tracker.

It under-estimates your sitting around, under-estimates standing without moving, under-estimates driving, or computer work or very soft steps. It over-estimates some of your moving around exercise at a mid effort level including quite possibly your particular treadmill exercise. It under-estimates some of your extremely vigorous exercise calories if they are beyond standard parameters (extremely fast walking). BUT, overall, for most people, by the end of the day, most of the inaccuracies cancel each other out and the whole thing magically works within 5% of your actual TDEE or so.

Go with your integrated Fitbit and MFP with negative adjustments enabled and accurate logging.
    Track your weight trend by automatically connecting your Fitbit.com account to Trendweight.com.

Adjust your goals based on your results by reviewing what MFP and Fitbit think you ought to be doing vs what Trendweight shows you to be doing... do so in 30 day periods of time.

remember that none of this accounts for body composition changes (fat vs lean mass, so if you're engaged in a lifting program your measurements may be of great importance.

Oh: and maintain a reasonable deficit of 10% to 20% (maybe 25% while obese, tapering down when overweight, tapering down even more when at a normal weight; deficit is from actual TDEE).