Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Psyllium husk- Count carbs and calories or not?

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
I have 15g psyllium husk powder everyday, which I log. An overwhelming amount of google searching says don't bother counting the calories or carbs as it passes straight through you undigested. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.. What say you all?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    For me, if it has calories, I count it. I don't believe in net carbs either.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    yes-wait-wtf.gif

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Did you eat it?
    Does it have calories?

THEN RECORD IT.

How hard is this concept?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Did you eat it?
    Does it have calories?

THEN RECORD IT.

I agree. But so many people are saying that you don't absorb the calories or carbs. Makes no sense to me either.. Just wanted a second opinion...

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Did you eat it?
    Does it have calories?

THEN RECORD IT.

I agree. But so many people are saying that you don't absorb the calories or carbs. Makes no sense to me either.. Just wanted a second opinion...

Eh, just be consistent. You've been logging it all along, right? A friend of mine recently told me that a protein bar I eat weighs 10g more than the package says but I have been logging it at the package weight for so long, I don't really care to log the extra calories because I'm not just introducing it to my diet.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Yes, I shall continue logging it as I have been.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I agree with what someone said above, if it has calories, put it in, if you're trying to lose weight or maintain a calorie deficit, you're better off putting in too many calories than not enough so that you know where you stand for sure and not guess. Make sense?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    I agree with what someone said above, if it has calories, put it in, if you're trying to lose weight or maintain a calorie deficit, you're better off putting in too many calories than not enough so that you know where you stand for sure and not guess. Make sense?

Ofcourse it makes sense :smile: I would just love to know why this is such a popular thought amongst psyllium users.

Maybe if they don't log it, then it doesn't count :wink:

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    15 grams of psyllium powder = approx 50 calories.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/669594/2

Here's some info about dietary fiber, if you want to learn more...
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fiber/art-20043983

• Christine_72
    Options
    Mucho Thanks @Debbie_Ferr . I've noticed the calorie counts vary. As you said most are around 50 calories per 15g, but the brand I have is 27 calories. Maybe Australian psyllium husk differs to the American stuff.. Can't see how though.
    Anyways, I've spent far too much time pondering this lol I'll keep doing what I have been, seems to be working so far.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I use psyllium fiber, as well and I log it along with my daily MVI. The calories are negligible (22 cal/TBSP fiber and 1 cal/MVI) but I want to use MFP to track the fiber and vitamins/minerals, so I log them.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It has a calorie value on account of the short chain fatty acids released when it breaks down :-

6fidt7koh1vd.png
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

I use psyllium fiber, as well and I log it along with my daily MVI. The calories are negligible (22 cal/TBSP fiber and 1 cal/MVI) but I want to use MFP to track the fiber and vitamins/minerals, so I log them.

+1.

net carbs is an american marketing term unrecognised by the FDA etc.so i recently learned.
    as a diet controlled t2 diabetic and ibs-c/diverticulitis sufferer,i do as you have and research info AND get advice from mfp ers who have similar life experiences.
    overall,it works for me.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have 15g psyllium husk powder everyday, which I log. An overwhelming amount of google searching says don't bother counting the calories or carbs as it passes straight through you undigested. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.. What say you all?

Psyllium husk is 70% soluble fiber, therefore it should be counted. The only fiber you do not have to count is insoluble (Benefiber, Dr, Natura, etc) or anything else that is 100% plant cellulose.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    So fiber is kinda funny. Insoluble fiber is just parts of the plant that never get digested and exit similar to how they entered. Soluble fiber though never gets digested by the human body. When you eat soluble fiber it follows everything else into the stomach where it gets churned with gastric HCl and several enzymes that try but fail at breaking its bonds. Then it moves into your small intestine where a lot more enzymes attack it, and still nothing happens. When soluble fiber reaches the large intestine it encounters our intestinal flora. The bacteria ferment these fibers (as they are still sugar) to synthesize short-chain fatty acids and vitamins ( K for sure, but i can't remember if there are others). The short-chain fatty acids are then absorbed through the colon and off into the blood stream to be transported and then used for metabolic processes such as beta-oxidation, which creates energy. This is where the calories come from.

Psyllium husk has both types.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Thanks @earlnabby and @pzarnosky . Everything I read didn't explain the why's and hows, which is why none of it made particular sense!

Appreciate everyone's responses.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk = strong poop gains. One wipe dismounts for days.

But count it.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Haha, interesting discussion! I take psyllium husk every day, and I never counted the calories, either during my weight loss phase or in the last year and a half of maintenance.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Haha, interesting discussion! I take psyllium husk every day, and I never counted the calories, either during my weight loss phase or in the last year and a half of maintenance.

What were your reason not to count them? I guess my biggest issue would be not seeing the correct fibre numbers, but that could be easily counted in my head.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I didn't count because I figured it just passed thru my system without being absorbed. If what pzarnoski said above is correct, that may have been an incorrect assumption. On the other hand, if there is any fat in a tablespoon of psyllium husk, that amount must be minuscule (0 grams per the label), so perhaps not enough to worry about? I eat lots of vegetables, so I never had a problem with a lack of fiber, even without counting the psyllium.

I think this is really a personal preference issue. For me personally, not counting it didn't affect my weightloss and I haven't had a problem maintaining my weight.

ETA: I use the whole psyllium husks, not the powder. Don't know if that makes a difference.