Doctor suggest 1200 Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your metabolism. 1200 calories a day is not the minimum; it isn't anywhere close to starvation mode.

I am almost 65, and I am just short of 5'4". My dietician has me at 1220, but reduced me to 1020 last week for two weeks because I am on a plateau. I am moderately active, and when I get hungry, I drink water or have a cup of black coffee. The key is nutrition economy: everything I eat counts. What I eat is weighed before I eat it. My macros are pretty balanced, and I supplement with vitamins. I swim, lift weights, do yoga, and walk. My right knee prevents me from running, but otherwise, I am moderately active. There is no magic bullet or number; losing weight involves hard work and discipline.
  • surfsnowsun
    surfsnowsun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day has been my magic number to lose weight. It's not easy, but it's definitely doable! Whenever I stick to that goal, I start losing immediately. Usually all it takes for me is staying away from sugar (I'm a sugar addict) and limiting my portions (THIS is the biggest challenge for me!).

But I do have to agree with 1200 being the "Magic Number" for losing weight. It take about 2 weeks for your body to adjust to eating that many calories... drink LOTS of water or tea and it will help with your body adjusting. It's true that in a way your "stomach gets smaller" after a while and you stop craving so much.

Hope this helps.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that all women should eat 1200 calories to lose weight. And I asked her, "Even if you workout," and she said yes.She believes 1200 calories is the magic number. I've gained back 18 pounds because I have been eating way too much about (2500-2800 cal). According, to my fitbit my tdee is (2200-2300). I'm a 5'3 female, 29 yrs and 160 pounds. I find that my biggest problem is snacking out of boredom because I'm home alone. However, I can't see myself eating 1200 calories I believe it's too low for me. My husband thinks I should listen to the doctor and try a 1200 calorie diet. I don't know if I'm over thinking it, I just don't know what's right. I really can't say how I lost weight any other time because I always zig zag my calories. What would you suggest?

How long did it take you to gain 18 pounds eating 2500-2800 cals?

Multiply 18 X 3500 (63,000 -- I did that part for you)

Divide 63,000 by the number of days it took you to gain 18 pounds. (e.g., if it was four months, 63,000 divided by 120 days = 525). That's approximately the number of excess calories you've been eating per day, on average.

Subtract your avg excess calories from 2650 (the mid-range of what you think you have been eating while you were gaining weight). (In my example, that would be 2650 - 525 = 2125.) The result is an estimate of your TDEE, based on the data you have.

Subtract 500 calories (for one pound a week weight loss, or some other number if your goal is different) from your estimated TDEE. (In my example, that would 2125 - 500 = 1625). The result is your daily calorie goals to lose 1 lb a week.

IMPORTANT: This is a TDEE-based calorie goal, so do no eat back exercise calories, as that would be double-counting them.

Stick to this for a month, and adjust based on results.

NOTE: You can still "zig zag" your calories; just aim for your weekly total to be seven times your TDEE-based calorie goal.

As for your doctor, you might ask what training in nutrition she has, or just ignore her, because anyone who thinks that your current weight, height, and activity level don't matter for your calorie goals has pretty well demonstrated either ignorance or a dogged adherence to the belief that simple, one-size-fits-all are best because her patients are stupid.

+1
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200 calories a day and I find I do just fine on it. Have been losing weight steadily ever since I chose this goal. Do I go over sometimes? Of course, but my daily activity allows me extra calories for those days. I am 62, 5'6" and started at 218 lbs. I was very sedentary for a decade due to hip issues but now have a hip replacement and making the most of it. I can't run (doctor's orders) but I can walk...and walk I do. However, everyone is different and you must make choices for yourself based on what makes you comfortable.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    It all depends on your metabolism. 1200 calories a day is not the minimum; it isn't anywhere close to starvation mode.

I am almost 65, and I am just short of 5'4". My dietician has me at 1220, but reduced me to 1020 last week for two weeks because I am on a plateau. I am moderately active, and when I get hungry, I drink water or have a cup of black coffee. The key is nutrition economy: everything I eat counts. What I eat is weighed before I eat it. My macros are pretty balanced, and I supplement with vitamins. I swim, lift weights, do yoga, and walk. My right knee prevents me from running, but otherwise, I am moderately active. There is no magic bullet or number; losing weight involves hard work and discipline.

Yes, 1200 is the mimimum. A person should only go below that if they are under frequent doctor supervision. Going below that, and for that matter for an active woman who exercises regularly, even eating at that minimum, makes it highly likely a person will suffer from not only the results of excessive calorie restriction, that is your body going to use more lean mass (muscles and organ) to make up the energy deficit, but also nutritional deficiencies that will not show up for weeks but will be affecting one's body long before the external symptoms start to show. Harvard Medical, ACSM and many other organizations point to 1200 as the minimum for the average female. The only exceptions would be those who are excessively short say under 5' and those who have various metabolic diseases that have negatively effected their overall calorie burn. Even then, the issue with malnutrition needs to be addressed as it is extremely difficult to get sufficient nutrients under 1200 calories for women or 1500 (some say 1800) for men. I am actually concerned that your dietitian (assuming this is a registered dietitian not and nutritionist or the like) has put you on a 1020 calorie diet even to break a plateau especially with the amount of activity you say you do. Hopefully the supplements were also given by her direction to help avoid those nutritional deficiencies I mentioned.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that all women should eat 1200 calories to lose weight. And I asked her, "Even if you workout," and she said yes.She believes 1200 calories is the magic number. I've gained back 18 pounds because I have been eating way too much about (2500-2800 cal). According, to my fitbit my tdee is (2200-2300). I'm a 5'3 female, 29 yrs and 160 pounds. I find that my biggest problem is snacking out of boredom because I'm home alone. However, I can't see myself eating 1200 calories I believe it's too low for me. My husband thinks I should listen to the doctor and try a 1200 calorie diet. I don't know if I'm over thinking it, I just don't know what's right. I really can't say how I lost weight any other time because I always zig zag my calories. What would you suggest?

I ate at a deficit with a calorie goal of 1,200 each day with success. I am 5' and currently weigh about 110 lbs (after building back up from 102 lbs in order to gain more muscle). I got into the habit of eating 1,200 calories x day so much that it was hard for me to switch to maintenance levels. The trick is to eat small portions throughout the day versus three moderate-sized meals. This keeps your stomach filled consistently versus getting extremely hungry and binging. It also plays into your "snacking" habit. Drink only water. Make smart choices when it comes to your food. You can do it!
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can personally be quite content on 1000-1200 calories a day if I pick my food wisely. It's totally possible to do - think protein first, fat second, lots of veggies and just a few carbs. You will lose like crazy at your age. You could do 1200 some days and a higher number on others. It's my opinion, and there are studies that back this up, that quick weight loss can be just as long-lasting and effective as slow weightless. In fact, dropping pounds quickly in the beginning is very motivating.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    pvju wrote: »
    I can personally be quite content on 1000-1200 calories a day if I pick my food wisely. It's totally possible to do - think protein first, fat second, lots of veggies and just a few carbs. You will lose like crazy at your age. You could do 1200 some days and a higher number on others. It's my opinion, and there are studies that back this up, that quick weight loss can be just as long-lasting and effective as slow weightless. In fact, dropping pounds quickly in the beginning is very motivating.

The problem with dropping pounds quickly is that you will drop a higher % of lean muscle mass than those with moderate calorie deficits.

Back in the day - my goal was a number on the scale. But, I'm not going to be wearing that number on my forehead. Losing muscle+fat makes me a smaller version of the current me. I don't want to be "just" a smaller version, I want to be a healthier version. I don't want to still look "fluffy" when I get to goal.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am actually concerned that your dietitian (assuming this is a registered dietitian not and nutritionist or the like) has put you on a 1020 calorie diet even to break a plateau especially with the amount of activity you say you do. Hopefully the supplements were also given by her direction to help avoid those nutritional deficiencies I mentioned.

My dietician IS a registered dietician, and has been for over 25 years. Are you a registered dietician? He works with military members and athletes, and is himself, an athlete. On days that I exercise heavily, I will go over. Most of those days, I will stick to that limit. If you are so concerned about my "diet", look at my diary. It's open.

• WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've been between 1200 and 1250 or so for the last few weeks, and it's working fine for me. I don't eat back my calories. I'm 5'5" and 190 lbs. My diary is open if you want to see my exercise habits, but I'm neither sedentary nor heroic. I started here at 245 last November and ate about 1700 calories for a while, then gradually dropped until I got to my present 1200-ish limit. When I started, I would have found 1200 intolerable, but it's fine now. You might try dropping 100 calories every week or two and see how you adjust. I found that my stomach shrank up nicely and I stayed comfortable. It's true that my blood sugar doesn't swing much, so I don't "crash" between meals. Everyone's different. Still, the fact remains that the right calorie limit for your particular metabolism and activity level is the one that results in actual weight loss, not the one that someone else agrees with or that makes sense according to some book or website. Clearly what you were doing wasn't working, right? :-) Time to try something new.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    I am 5'4" and I began eating 1200 calories per day in January. I don't trust myself not to eat all calories back, so I have chosen not to input my physical activity, just so it's not there to tempt me. I too was a serious snacker, mostly out of boredom (I resently retired). I read a blog by a woman who, when tempted to snack, gives herself 30 minutes, drinks some water, then if she's actually still wanting the snack will fix one serving of it and eat it. I have tried to incorporate this philosophy into my snacking habits. It has helped me hold out until the next meal quite often. One thing, once you start eating proper servings and following your calorie intake, it feels like you are over eating when you eat a large meal so your body does adapt if you give it the opportunity. Now, when I start feeling really empty, it's usually a few minutes until my next meal time. And a little hunger never hurt anyone.

I do have some snacks but they are part of the mindset of mine that every meal is a snack and every snack is a meal. Its just fuel to run this body of mine. I also try to stop eating and close the kitchen down at 7 PM. It works for me, and my innards are happier. I think its important to eat to feeling somewhat satisfied, but never to feeling totally stuffed, and uncomfortable.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options

Wha? I tried 1200 for a bit, but it was just unnecessary. I got fatigued. And that was 1200 net, so I was typically eating 1400-1500 or more.

I wanted to step in just to give a variant data point, since you're hearing from so many who can lose only at pretty low calories. We're not all identical, and you do want to lose at a conservative rate so you stay strong & healthy throughout the process, and find it sustainable over the long haul.

I'm 60 y/o, 5'5", sedentary lifestyle but frequent exerciser, so I use the MFP 'net calories' method, eating back all my exercise calories (which I estimate carefully). April 2015 SW 183, CW 118, trying to zero in on my maintenance calories. I lost most of that weight at 1400-1500 net (1600-1800 eaten). I was still losing slowly at 1700 net, have recently gone to 1800, and may have to increase further.

IMO, since you have a Fitbit and a TDEE estimate, you could simply eat at 500(ish) below your TDEE, and expect to lose about a pound a week, which seems reasonable since you don't have a huge amount to lose.

Or, start with what MFP recommends for you at the 1 pound per week rate, and eat back 50% or more of exercise (probably more, since you're using the Fitbit).

If you're consistently eating at that calorie goal, while weighing food & logging meticulously, and lose less than a pound a week then go down 100 a day or so for a couple of weeks and see how that goes.

It's definitely not the case that all women need to (or should) eat 1200 calories to lose weight!
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My suggestion:
    -Plug your stats into MFP
    -Pick a reasonable weight loss per week
    - sync your fitbit to MFP
    - enable negative adjustments (your calories will be adjusted up or down based on your activity for the day)

1200 is not right for everyone.

This. Enable negative adjustments is my new favorite thing. The only time I don't like it is when I do a swim workout since I have to take my fitbit off for that.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    pvju wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    The problem with dropping pounds quickly is that you will drop a higher % of lean muscle mass than those with moderate calorie deficits.

Back in the day - my goal was a number on the scale. But, I'm not going to be wearing that number on my forehead. Losing muscle+fat makes me a smaller version of the current me. I don't want to be "just" a smaller version, I want to be a healthier version. I don't want to still look "fluffy" when I get to goal.

I wouldn't say I'm dropping pounds "quickly" by any stretch. I've lost approximately 8-10lbs in 6 weeks. I'm in my fifties. I lift heavy weights to build and maintain muscle. At my activity level, age and size - I30lbs - it doesn't take a lot of calories to keep me going, so I'm not seeing any muscle loss.

• MegSchuy16
    MegSchuy16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm 26, 5'6", and weigh 210.5lbs. I have my calorie goal set to 1300 calories a day, but I usually only wind up eating between 1150-1200 calories because I've been eating so many veggies and eating healthier that I don't find myself getting that hungry anymore and I don't want to force myself to eat. Once I start working out more though... depending on how many calories I burn... I imagine my appetite will pick up. I'd say, and heard from many people, that it's good to at least eat back half of what you burn... So if I have my goal set to 1300 calories and I burn 500 calories my daily calorie intake would be 1550 calories...