Extreme Irrational Food Guilt

Options
I've been using MFP for two and a half months, and doing fine. My net averages have usually hovered at or just under my calorie goal, and I'm 2/3 of the way to my goal weight. MFP has given me a target of 1460/day. The only problem is, I think I'm becoming a bit obsessive about it.

At university it's fine, because I can't spend my whole day counting and stressing about calories. But during the easter holidays, I've found myself netting under 1000 calories every day, and the guilt when I eat something 'unhealthy', even if I'm way way under my calorie goal, is awful. Today I had a grilled cheese (2 wholegrain bread slices and 50g camembert) for supper, because I was at 550 net and needed to bring it up, and now I can't sleep because all I'm thinking about is the fat and imagined weight gain. Any tips to get myself back into a more normal frame of mind? Is anyone else struggling with this?

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd suggest stopping counting calories. I had this same issue and ended up with an eating disorder. I'm sure you know the basics of what food has what amount of calories. Like I'm sure you know that an orange has 80cals, 2c salad has about 15cals. Try not logging but keeping a mental log instead.

Definitely look into intuitive eating. The only reason I got over my ED was because I was joining the military, and knew I wouldn't last starving myself.

I'd definitely take a break from logging if I were you.
  • speceddie
    speceddie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been there too. Once I hit my goal, an maintained for several months, this passed as I know what I could eat or adjust as needed to stay within a 2 pound range. Hang in there!
  • lizziexboredom
    lizziexboredom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from. It's hard to go from years not really paying attention 2 the quality of what you're eating and the nutritional content of it, to knowing what is in everything. For me it was kind of like a light switch was being turned on, and you can't unlearn the knowledge. Once I became aware of how many calories I was actually eating, even in so-called healthy food comma it became a hobby of mine to try to eat as nutritionally sound as possible. I don't think anything is wrong with trying to be the best version of yourself and trying to eat as healthy and as clean as possible. I would say that as long as you are comfortable and not going hungry and not making yourself miserable, not to worry. If you are forgoing food even when you're hungry simply because you don't want the numbers to go up, that may indicate a problem. And certainly you should not be laying in bed thinking about food mistakes you made during the day. It's time to reflect and think about what could have been done differently, but you shouldn't agonize and stress over it. I don't know you, but I want you to be as healthy as possible and physical health is only part of it. Make sure that you're keeping yourself taking care of mentally as well.
  • alk128
    alk128 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - I'm making an active effort to eat a sensible amount and trying not to feel guilty. Making a start with white truffle polenta for supper - a healthy(ish) comfort food :smile: - hope you're all doing well!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could set a minimum goal as well? If you're too far under, then you're also not being healthy. I don't know if mentally that would help with the guilt. For example, you have a goal of 1460 calories as your max, but 1200 net should be your minimum as well - instead of playing a game in your head where you try to eat less and less.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Also, the occasional indulgence will help keep you on track. If you never indulge, you're more likely to "jump ship" and go back to eating everything in sight. So think of your indulgences as necessary to your longterm success.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    alk128 wrote: »
    I've been using MFP for two and a half months, and doing fine. My net averages have usually hovered at or just under my calorie goal, and I'm 2/3 of the way to my goal weight. MFP has given me a target of 1460/day. The only problem is, I think I'm becoming a bit obsessive about it.

At university it's fine, because I can't spend my whole day counting and stressing about calories. But during the easter holidays, I've found myself netting under 1000 calories every day, and the guilt when I eat something 'unhealthy', even if I'm way way under my calorie goal, is awful. Today I had a grilled cheese (2 wholegrain bread slices and 50g camembert) for supper, because I was at 550 net and needed to bring it up, and now I can't sleep because all I'm thinking about is the fat and imagined weight gain. Any tips to get myself back into a more normal frame of mind? Is anyone else struggling with this?

I do this as well. It's become a problem (hence my 101 day streak!) and I get myself so depressed whenever I see those little red numbers telling me I went over. I've started pre-logging and making sure that I eat within my means. But remember, a little indulgence (Thanksgiving, Easter dinner, etc.) is not going to ruin your progress. I know it is hard to remember, but it is true.
  • Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post, I have been struggling with this. I have a history of being obsessive with food. I'm finding that sometimes I'm netting 500 calories it was only 1 week where it was that bad. I think talking about this is important, when you haven't been paying attention to what you were eating and now need to track everything it can have an adverse effect.