How To Make a Routine?

Options
I have no idea what I'm doing here. XD I lost the weight, but I'm still jiggly. I asked, you answered "Lift ALL the things!"

K, figured out how to lift the things and which ones I can do on this strange cthulhu machine. I have:
Weighted ab crunches
Mid row
Bench press
Leg extensions
Elliptical
Buying a kettlebell soonish

I can barely lift the "4" (I don't know if this is pounds or x2 or what) once, but I can do 5-10 reps of the "3" on each workout. Yes, I checked the machine. No, it doesn't tell me what the numbers mean.

There are also settings on the elliptical, but I don't usually bother with them. I turned it up today to resistance level "5" and only got about 6 minutes through at 4 mph before I almost had an asthma attack. (Surprise! I have everything-in-the-world induced asthma!!!) Fun stuff. I usually just go at a steady 4-5 mph for 20-30 minutes.

I can also walk too. It's like 15-20 degrees Celsius here now so walking outside is pretty fun. Takes longer to do anything and that can get frustrating but my Fitbit thanks me.

I also do a lot of step exercises/jogging in place when I watch Youtube. My mantra is, if you're watching something, you need to move while you do it!

All the walking and elliptical and dieting helped me lose those last few pounds, but I'm jiggly everywhere and I really don't want to be. Where do I start?

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    One quick question. Do you have access to a fully equipped gym?
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Serious props for knowing who Cthulhu is!

I too would be curious if you had access to a barbell or 2 plus some free weights (i.e., fully equipped gym)
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    One quick question. Do you have access to a fully equipped gym?
    Serious props for knowing who Cthulhu is!

I too would be curious if you had access to a barbell or 2 plus some free weights (i.e., fully equipped gym)

No, it is only this sort of deal: weightmachine.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    google bodyweight exercises
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    If you can, I would get some dumbells or kettlebells. Some ankle/wrist weights can be helpful as well. Body weight exercises, such as push-ups, body weight squats, dips, etc. That machine limits hitting muscle groups from all angles. Send me a message if you need any help. I would also suggest looking up Jen Heward on You Tube. She had some awesome content.
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    google bodyweight exercises

But I have a gym.
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    If you can, I would get some dumbells or kettlebells. Some ankle/wrist weights can be helpful as well. Body weight exercises, such as push-ups, body weight squats, dips, etc. That machine limits hitting muscle groups from all angles. Send me a message if you need any help. I would also suggest looking up Jen Heward on You Tube. She had some awesome content.

I've been saving up for a kettlebell/set. Why can't I use the machine though? I can't bench press or anything without it. Isn't that something I should be doing?
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes use the machines! They might only target specific muscles but building any muscle will help with toning it just takes time dumbells or ketlebells are good you can look up tons of exercises online for them, body weight exercises will help too
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    Yes use the machines! They might only target specific muscles but building any muscle will help with toning it just takes time dumbells or ketlebells are good you can look up tons of exercises online for them, body weight exercises will help too

I do have some kettlebell routines targeted at full body, which is why I'm not worried about missing muscle groups, but I really don't know what I should be working on for this machine. How do you make a routine?
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like to set up my routine in muscle group days. Say Monday and Friday I'll do upper body, Tuesday and Saturday lower body, Wednesday and Sunday core and Thursday is "fun day" where I get outside and do something fun yet active (ex: hiking). Main thing is don't work the same muscles the very next day. Give them time to heal. If youre just starting it's totally fine not to do something everyday and maybe only work out the muscle group once a week instead of twice. Also, I try to add in cardio a couple days a week.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into some body weight exercises. Machines limit range of movement and will make it difficult to target specific movements. Plus body weight exercises are incredible for total body strength and muscular development especially for a beginner
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Also if you can't get to a gym, invest in a doorway mounted pull up bar. That should become your best friend
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    That universal gym you showed is really limited. Start with body weight exercises. And do some research.