High(er) Protein Oatmeal?

Options
stephinator92
stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
Does anyone have any suggestions for adding protein to rolled oats? I'm thinking a scoop of protein powder or cottage cheese but I'm not sure how well the consistency will come out...

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Lots of people add a scoop of protein powder to their oatmeal. Look into the overnight oatmeal for ideas about adding fiber to it. It's a world of choices.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I add half a scoop of protein powder and some extra water to mine. The consistency seems fine to me, but your mileage may vary.

Some people like their oats savory and will add an egg for protein.

Overnight oats usually use Greek yogurt in the recipe to add protein, but it is a very different consistency and usually served cold - so it may not be for everyone.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've change from oat MEAL to oat BRAN as the protein is 50% higher. Much higher in fibre and more nutritious- B vitamins etc. No more calories and and more hygroscopic - more filling. I soak overnight with some sultanas for a creamer texture. I add a banana and microwave to make porridge.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder and it is just fine in texture. If your powder has casein, it may thicken up, but you could add any liquid to thin it out more. Personally, I like when it thickens up a bit more, but that's a matter of preference for sure. For breakfast today, I had a serving of steel cut oats cooked in water with 20g of vanilla Quest protein powder, a dollop (30g) of greek yogurt, and some cut up fresh strawberries. Super tasty and kept me full until lunch. Another one I do often is raspberries and mini chocolate chips with either vanilla or chocolate protein powder.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    All these are great! I do the whey thing usually just because I like the taste. I also recommend trying quinoa breakfast porridge if you get tired of oatmeal.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    All these are great! I do the whey thing usually just because I like the taste. I also recommend trying quinoa breakfast porridge if you get tired of oatmeal.

Quinoa is a good idea. Is the whey in liquid form from making yogurt or cheese that you make.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you want a high protein without protein powder, you could try greek yogurt mixtures - you could make muesli or similar.
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Greek yogurt, quark,egg whites/whole eggs or protein powder if you have.
    With the protein powder I would recommend take a scoop and mix it with as little water as possible till it is more in a sludge form then mix it in with the oatmeal so you don't get any clumps when mixing it all together.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I ended up adding 1 tbsp of peanut butter and 1/4 c egg whites and it came out great! Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, ground flax
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    We add almonds. Some Ike's I grind them in a clean coffee grinder into a flour and add it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I do protein powder and nuts, usually. Turns into a pudding-like consistency and it's great for my sweet tooth.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are probably the laziest and least noticible way of doing it. You figure they would cook, but they don't, just disappear into the oatmeal matrix. You taste nothing, no change in texture, yet more proteinz.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    I've change from oat MEAL to oat BRAN as the protein is 50% higher. Much higher in fibre and more nutritious- B vitamins etc. No more calories and and more hygroscopic - more filling. I soak overnight with some sultanas for a creamer texture. I add a banana and microwave to make porridge.

and this^ right here is why I love the forums. Next grocery trip there will be oat bran purchased. =)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    poteatkd wrote: »
    6pkdreamer wrote: »

and this^ right here is why I love the forums. Next grocery trip there will be oat bran purchased. =)

I admit I'm curious now, but oat bran doesn't get cooked, right?
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Here's a good recipe using oats and oat bran.

Baked Oatmeal

Servings: Usually 4 (or smaller, depending on hunger level.

Mix:
    1 cup oatmeal, quick (mine's "toasted")
    1 cup oat bran (this is a "hot cereal" which can be found in bulk bins, or packaged near other hot cereals or the baking aisle)
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    Dash salt

Blend:
    2 whole eggs
    1/2 cup FF plain yogurt
    1 cup FF evaporated milk
    1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
    1 tsp. cinammon
    1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg (preferably freshly ground)
    2 Splenda packets
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (mine is convection).

Spray 8X8" glass pan with non-stick spray (I use Mazola "Canola and Sunflower Oil" spray), OR line with Reynold's non-stick aluminum foil.

Combine first ingredients.

Hand-blend all additional ingredients.

Add wet ingredients to dry, stir, and put into pan and into oven immediately.

Cook for 25-30 minutes, OR until top is golden brown and oatmeal feels "firm" to the touch.

Cool for a few minutes and then turn out of the pan onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or cold. This is "portable". Wrap in waxed paper, and you can eat it on-the-go!

Serve hot or cold (or "toasted").

Optional: You can add nuts and dried fruits
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you were going to add greek yogurt, would you add if after the oatmeal was made or in place of water?
  • TiffanyJane1721
    TiffanyJane1721 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I save the liquid whey that is leftover from when I make yogurt and I cook my steel cut oats in the when instead of water. Adds some great vitamins, minerals, and protein
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed it, but do you add the protein powder before or after cooking the oatmeal? Do you adjust the water used for cooking?
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I like to add chia seeds, hemp heart seeds, nuts, or nut butters.