Addicted?

So I have a question. I love protein bars and I eat one every night with like a chobani yogurt, or a fruit, or something else. I'm a teenager, I run and exercise and I'm ALWAYS craving my nightly snack. There's been times when I've been like. OK I'm gonna eat something healthy, I'm gonna eat a fruit. Bannana, banana, banana, ahhhhh never mind protein/ snack bar hello!
Is this a bad thing? Am I too addicted?
It's usually a quest, Larry and lenny, lara, kind, or powerbar. I know this is a weird question but I just need advice. Is what I'm doing healthy?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It sounds like you've found a snack that you really like. I don't think that qualifies as an addiction. If you like it and it fits your needs, what's so bad about it?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Count your blessings. As you get older you switch over to fiber bars. ;) Seriously, as long as you're not eating the whole box each night, not a problem.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Ballyh14 wrote: »
    So I have a question. I love protein bars and I eat one every night with like a chobani yogurt, or a fruit, or something else. I'm a teenager, I run and exercise and I'm ALWAYS craving my nightly snack. There's been times when I've been like. OK I'm gonna eat something healthy, I'm gonna eat a fruit. Bannana, banana, banana, ahhhhh never mind protein/ snack bar hello!
    It's usually a quest, Larry and lenny, lara, kind, or powerbar. I know this is a weird question but I just need advice. Is what I'm doing healthy?

how old are you?

If it fits your goals, it seems healthy.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Count your blessings. As you get older you switch over to fiber bars. ;)
    My snack tonight will be fiber cereal and skim milk.... how true.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    I love Lara bars, the peanut butter cookie ones.
    They're healthy and I think around 200 calories.
    I agree with @diannethegeek :-)
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    If it fits your calorie budget, go ahead.

HOWEVER nighttime snacking isn't something that leads to good eating habits in my uneducated and completely personal opinion. Also, let's not forget that protein bars are still technically in the realm of candy bars. About the same calories of one, sure it has less sugar and "healthier" things but I would recommend just some herbal tea or some warmed fat free milk and a teaspoon of honey to sate your sweet tooth and help you sleep.
  • elphie754
    MinmoInk wrote: »

HOWEVER nighttime snacking isn't something that leads to good eating habits in my uneducated and completely personal opinion. Also, let's not forget that protein bars are still technically in the realm of candy bars. About the same calories of one, sure it has less sugar and "healthier" things but I would recommend just some herbal tea or some warmed fat free milk and a teaspoon of honey to sate your sweet tooth and help you sleep.

Night time snacking is perfectly fine if it fits with your goals.
  • MinmoInk
    elphie754 wrote: »

That's why I said the first line :)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    I'm not sure you should be on this site. SparkTeens.com seems more your speed. Teens have nutritional requirements not shared by adults.
  • elphie754
    edited April 2016

And then continued to demonize nighttime eating, saying it leads to bad eating habits. Then also demonized protein bars, and added a recommendation you consider healthier. Absolutely nothing wrong with either, and no need to demonize them.

That's like saying "no offense but (insert something offensive)".
  • MinmoInk
    edited April 2016

And then continued to demonize nighttime eating, saying it leads to bad eating habits. Then also demonized protein bars, and added a recommendation you consider healthier. Absolutely nothing wrong with either, and no need to demonize them.

I think it's a little excessive to say demonize. I said they are similar to candy bars (bar shaped sweet covered in chocolates is in a realm of candy bars no?) and nighttime snacking isn't something that "leads" to healthy eating habits (that's totally debatable which is why it's an opinion) I think you took it a little too harshly.

I recommended milk because it contains melatonin and certain herbal teas also promote sleep.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member

It is after 10:00 pm where I live, and I'm eating a bowl of ice cream. I'm down 25 lbs and counting.

Nothing at all wrong with late night snacking or protein/candy bars in moderation.
  • liftzilla16
    liftzilla16 Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2016

Did you miss the part where MinmoInk said "in my uneducated and completely personal opinion." ?? Not trying to get in the middle of anything but honestly, what's the point of arguing about this? I'm actually on your side in that I don't see any harm in late night eating, but the beauty of opinions is that everyone is entitled to their own, so why keep pushing?
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member

Did you miss the part where MinmoInk said "in my uneducated and completely personal opinion." ?? Not trying to get in the middle of anything but honestly, what's the point of arguing about this? I'm actually on your side in that I don't see any harm in late night eating, but the beauty of opinions is that everyone is entitled to their own, so why keep pushing?

Because everyone has an opinion on fitness formed partially by "common knowledge" - one of those things being that eating at night is bad. In fact, oftentimes when you question someone on why they think something that's wrong, it boils down to "someone told me once and it stuck".

So it's worth it to disagree if you think someone is wrong. My opinion may be that the Earth is flat, but that doesn't mean that someone is harsh for saying I'm wrong.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Mentali wrote: »

Because everyone has an opinion on fitness formed partially by "common knowledge" - one of those things being that eating at night is bad. In fact, oftentimes when you question someone on why they think something that's wrong, it boils down to "someone told me once and it stuck".

So it's worth it to disagree if you think someone is wrong. My opinion may be that the Earth is flat, but that doesn't mean that someone is harsh for saying I'm wrong.

Exactly.

Lurkers reading the thread may come away with the impression that eating at night is bad, or that protein bars are unhealthy and they should have some tea instead.

If you have the calories and you need protein for the day, tea with honey is definitely not a good substitute for the bar.

If I were to take that advice, I'd be pretty unhappy considering I'd wake up at night needing to pee and realizing that I'm hungry af.
  • elphie754
    Mentali wrote: »

100% this
  • MinmoInk

Exactly.

Lurkers reading the thread may come away with the impression that eating at night is bad, or that protein bars are unhealthy and they should have some tea instead.
    I really hope not. I am of the hope one can construe their own opinions from a pool of differing viewpoints.

I offered one not currently expressed in the thread. The reader would have had to ignore all the other replies. One should always look at the pros and cons of things to make educated opinions.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    No such thing as an addiction outside the excuses section, so you are probably ok...
  • Ballyh14
    Ballyh14 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I found it helpfull.
  • Ballyh14
    Ballyh14 Posts: 8 Member
    Ballyh14 wrote: »

how old are you?

If it fits your goals, it seems healthy.

I just turned 18