Weight Lifting - Tips for a beginner?

Options

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    @cgvet37 since you appear to be "training beginners", I'm curious to know when you started squatting? How long were you lifting for when you started squatting and deadlifting?

I never said I trained beginners. I was a beginner at one time though. I don't do squats or deadlifts anymore, do to arthritis in my lower back. It's not worth the pain. To answer your question though. I did not start doing dead lifts or squats until my Junior year in high school. I started lifting my Freshman year. All I had was a bench, a barbell, and some dumbells. I had great results, and it helped me when I advanced later on. Yes, I speak from experience.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    What is your goal? How many days a week do you plan on weight training?

I want to become more toned and I think I'd train after spinning plus one day so either four or five times a week :)

Just a suggestion. If you are going to do cardio and weight training in the same day. I would do weights first, and cardio after. Or, if you can, cardio in the morning and weights later in the day. If you do your cardio first, you are not going to be able to give 100% to your weight training. If I were you. I would do a split.

I am not necessarily in full agreement with doing weight training first. It really does depend on your ultimate goals. As a runner, it would be disastrous for me to do weights before my running work-outs. For 3-4 times a week, if you only want to tone, I do think weights first is probably the way to go.

From what I read from the OP. If you do your weight training first, you will deplete your glycogen stores. Without those glycogen stores, it's hard to weight train at 100%. If I was a runner, I would not want to gain much muscle anyways. A lesson I learned while in the Military.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Actually, if you're a beginner I would not recommend a split program. Instead, focus on full body programs with compound movements. StrongLifts 5x5 is popular around here (and a personal favorite), but you can also look into New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) or Ice Cream Fitness.

Why would you recommend compound movements to a beginner? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. They need to learn basic movements first.

I can tell you why SL worked for me as a beginner. (I was proficient at bodyweight or light lifting when I began the program)

SL trained me to build strength fast.

I began with the 35# women's bar and progressively added weights each session. I gained power fast. The isolation work may help me gain a bit more muscle so that I can continue to lift more weight on my compound lifts. But, as a foundation, compound lifts take precedence because it hits most muscles in less time. I may add isolation work for definition as well as help me with my mobility/activity/sport/...
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you're a beginner I would not recommend a split program. Instead, focus on full body programs with compound movements. StrongLifts 5x5 is popular around here (and a personal favorite), but you can also look into New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) or Ice Cream Fitness.

Why would you recommend compound movements to a beginner? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. They need to learn basic movements first.

I was just thinking the same, total contradiction. Beginners, start with basics not advanced compound moves, injury waiting to happen.

Seems every time a thread like this pops up, the answer has to be stronglift 5x5. OPs goal is to tone up, not gain strength. Body-weight to light lifting is what she needs not strong lifts. Again with her goal, cardio first wont effect her weight training if she is light/high rep. Studies have shown that cardio before lifting increases HR which in turn burns more calories, with toning/weight loss still in mind its maybe advisable.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,961 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I was just thinking the same, total contradiction. Beginners, start with basics not advanced compound moves, injury waiting to happen.

Seems every time a thread like this pops up, the answer has to be stronglift 5x5. OPs goal is to tone up, not gain strength. Body-weight to light lifting is what she needs not strong lifts. Again with her goal, cardio first wont effect her weight training if she is light/high rep. Studies have shown that cardio before lifting increases HR which in turn burns more calories, with toning/weight loss still in mind its maybe advisable.

@taylorwatson1 , what specifically do you mean by toning? I've seen the various definitions in other threads but I want to know what the OP has in mind.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

I can tell you why SL worked for me as a beginner. (I was proficient at bodyweight or light lifting when I began the program)

I began with the 35# women's bar and progressively added weights each session. I gained power fast. The isolation work may help me gain a bit more muscle so that I can continue to lift more weight on my compound lifts. But, as a foundation, compound lifts take precedence because it hits most muscles in less time. I may add isolation work for definition as well as help me with my mobility/activity/sport/...

A beginner is someone with little to no knowledge or something. If you were proficient in body weight and light lifting you are NOT a novice therefor you could not have been a beginner when you started SL.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Guys who are recommending that beginners not do compound movements, what are you recommending that beginners do, as far as weight lifting goes?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack, but I have a question regarding the New Rules and Stronglifts programs. Can you do these programs with free weights? My husband has those Bowflex Select Tech weights and I am trying to find a program to work with those. Thanks!

I do the lifts in those programs with dumbbells mainly, rather than a barbell. Not sure if that is recommended or advised, but for me it has helped me keep my form in check because you have to balance out each side of your body. I suppose you have to do that with a barbell as well, but just thought I'd add my $0.02 since you asked.
  • taylorwatson1
    taylorwatson1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »

@taylorwatson1 , what specifically do you mean by toning? I've seen the various definitions in other threads but I want to know what the OP has in mind.

Tbh I just want some definition in my abs and strength in my top half but I'm not overly fussed about a lot of definition in my arms, etc.

I just want to be able to continue losing my fat and ensure I'm not just tiny when I get to goal, so I want to start training so when I lose fat I'll have a little definition!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

That's because SL5x5, SS5x5 and numerous other beginning lifting programs start you out with compound exercises. Squat, deads, OHP, bench and rows are NOT advanced compound moves. Those moves are the basics.
    If you "tone up" you ARE gaining strength.

• JoshuaMcAllister
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Guys who are recommending that beginners not do compound movements, what are you recommending that beginners do, as far as weight lifting goes?

Strong lifts and compound moves are not the only way to train with weights believe it or not.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »

Tbh I just want some definition in my abs and strength in my top half but I'm not overly fussed about a lot of definition in my arms, etc.

I just want to be able to continue losing my fat and ensure I'm not just tiny when I get to goal, so I want to start training so when I lose fat I'll have a little definition!

All of this can be achieved by structured cardio and body weight training, there is no need to get into strength training like many here are advising. If you want to do strong lifts, by all mean go ahead its great fun but its not the only way you'll achieve your goals.
  • jemhh
    Options

Strong lifts and compound moves are not the only way to train with weights believe it or not.

Why jump to a snarky reply when somebody asks a simple question?
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Actually, I do agree with this thought. You have to work with what you have. If all you have access to is that multi-machine and don't have access to other equipment, then by all means, work with what you have. Gyms can be expensive or they are too far a away to make that kind of time commitment.
    Just understand there may come a point that if you want to continue to progress you may have to look elsewhere.

• JoshuaMcAllister
    Options

Apologies, I didn't intend to be snarky. There are many other ways to train with weights, unless you really enjoy doing compound lifts or are using them for a particular goal they aren't a necessity.

Actually, I do agree with this thought. You have to work with what you have. If all you have access to is that multi-machine and don't have access to other equipment, then by all means, work with what you have. Gyms can be expensive or they are too far a away to make that kind of time commitment.
    Just understand there may come a point that if you want to continue to progress you may have to look elsewhere.

I felt like I felt like I was out here alone, couldn't agree more. OP states she is using a gym so really I think she can train whatever way suits her. Not everyone enjoys the stronglift 5x5 programme or those similar, I know I don't, so I only do it every 5 weeks to aid my progress.
  • jemhh
    Options

Apologies, I didn't intend to be snarky. There are many other ways to train with weights, unless you really enjoy doing compound lifts or are using them for a particular goal they aren't a necessity.

I was just wondering if you had specific recommendations in mind.

I started with bodyweight exercises and later moved to lifting weights. I've never done SL5x5 (doesn't appeal to me) but do plenty of compound lifts as well as other exercises. I think that people here jumped to giving the OP lifting recommendations because she started off by asking for them. I agree that SL isn't the end all be all IRT training but I don't understand the idea that a beginner shouldn't be shown compound lifts. What about them is too complex (?) in your mind (or maybe in @cgvet37 's mind) for beginners? [FWIW I think that if we're talking about a complete "I've been sedentary until this point" exercise beginner, starting with simple cardio like walking and some bodyweight stuff to help with flexibility and balance and just getting working is good way to go.]

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

A beginner is someone with little to no knowledge or something. If you were proficient in body weight and light lifting you are NOT a novice therefor you could not have been a beginner when you started SL.

I have completed SL and I still consider myself to be at beginner's level.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options

I was just wondering if you had specific recommendations in mind.

I started with bodyweight exercises and later moved to lifting weights. I've never done SL5x5 (doesn't appeal to me) but do plenty of compound lifts as well as other exercises. I think that people here jumped to giving the OP lifting recommendations because she started off by asking for them. I agree that SL isn't the end all be all IRT training but I don't understand the idea that a beginner shouldn't be shown compound lifts. What about them is too complex (?) in your mind (or maybe in @cgvet37 's mind) for beginners? [FWIW I think that if we're talking about a complete "I've been sedentary until this point" exercise beginner, starting with simple cardio like walking and some bodyweight stuff to help with flexibility and balance and just getting working is good way to go.]

I've have pages of this type of workout in my diaries and notepads. If you are in fact interested, I wouldn't mind sharing a few of these with you.

I started very similar to you. I used running as a weight loss tool, before moving onto body weight and light weights. My aim at that time was to tone up and build a solid core to aid my running. It was probably a year maybe longer before I moved onto bigger lifts, all to find I didn't actually enjoy that type of training.
    There is no right answer, my point is simply that there are other ways to achieve certain goals without big movements. My original point was that by jumping into compound moves without a basic comprehension of less advanced lifts or movements you could do more harm that good. Which I stand by. Its all fine and well watching a video to check correct form, its another putting it into practice.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    @Emily3907 Yes, I think you could. The book has a lot of modifications you can do if you have different equipment. That's really one of the best parts of the book is how accommodating it tries to be for different skill levels, comfort levels and equipment set ups.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has some great workout plans for all levels and they are free. Focus on your form when you start! You can watch videos for each exercise listed on this website as well