Are there any Dr Lustig fans on mfp??

Options
Hello, I put on a lot of weight when I became disabled. I realised I'd been heavily addicted to sugar. I found Dr Lustig, read fat chance, watched Ted talks and now only eat real food. Since eating clean my operation to remove intestine has been canx, my surgeon couldn't believe what a difference no added sugar made. Mfp doesn't measure added sugar and naturally occurring sugars which is a shame. I struggle not to fall off the wagon into a sea of processed treats. I've lost a bit of weight have another 18lbs to go but I cannot physically exercise. I'd really like to make some friends who are doing the eat real food thing. Look forward to meeting you

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Plenty of haters.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Most people here are anti-lustig and his "woo" science.
    Hello, I put on a lot of weight when I became disabled. I realised I'd been heavily addicted to sugar. I found Dr Lustig, read fat chance, watched Ted talks and now only eat real food. Since eating clean my operation to remove intestine has been canx, my surgeon couldn't believe what a difference no added sugar made. Mfp doesn't measure added sugar and naturally occurring sugars which is a shame. I struggle not to fall off the wagon into a sea of processed treats. I've lost a bit of weight have another 18lbs to go but I cannot physically exercise. I'd really like to make some friends who are doing the eat real food thing. Look forward to meeting you

All food is real, unless prior to this you were eating the plastic food found in a toy box.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

All food is real, unless prior to this you were eating the plastic food found in a toy box.

I was told to eat more complex carbs, but I only have real carbs. Do you think Dr Lustig can name some imaginary carbs I can pair with them?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I am an equal opportunity sugar consumer. What is your definition of "real" food?
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If you've found that eating whole foods vs processed foods has helped you, then by all means, continue doing so, and don't let the people on here get you down.

The lion's share of the people on here are just full blown cico pushers, and don't know much about nutrition beyond what a nutrition facts sheet can tell them.

I would not go so far as cutting all processed foods from my diet personally, but by and large my own died consists of whole foods (legumes, vegetables, whole grains, eggs, fish, etc) vs prepared foods, and I'm happy with that.

Cico is great for losing weight, and if you are struggling with that, look at your calorie intake vs. Expenditures. But don't mistake eating at a deficit with eating a healthy balanced diet. They aren't one and the same.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I mostly eat whole foods, but will eat some sweets (often homemade, but I will buy ice cream) in moderation too. I've never eaten huge amounts of added sugar or lots of packaged foods, and including some in my diet doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

So I am likely not who you are looking for!

I am posting mostly to let you know that there's a group for "clean eaters" that usually shows up in the most active groups. I'm skeptical about the whole concept--I prefer focusing on nutrition and eating foods that cover my nutritional needs vs. avoiding specific foods as "bad," as I don't see how that ensures a balanced diet and often puzzled that self-proclaimed clean eaters who don't eat "processed" foods often eat protein powder or deli meats or all kinds of other things that seem obviously processed to me (and I personally see nothing wrong with lots of processed foods like dried pasta, canned beans, cottage cheese, etc.), but all that aside, it might be just the thing for you, and you will find lots of like-minded people there. Lustig is not a favorite on the main boards, although some love him. (I think the advice of David Katz is more sensible, as well as some others like Yoni Freedhoff, and also enjoy the Harvard Nutrition website.)

Oh, on added sugar vs. inherent sugar, there's no way for MFP to track it currently, as labels don't make the distinction in the US. My understanding is that that change will come soon and MFP will probably add an "added sugar" category when it does. In the meantime, I've always found it pretty easy to tell whether the sugar I'm eating is added or inherent by looking at the source (it's confusing in some packaged things like jarred pasta sauce, but I don't eat those).
  • tabbykitten2015
    tabbykitten2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I am an equal opportunity sugar consumer. What is your definition of "real" food?

I try to eat nothing packaged. For example tinned beaked beans, jars of pasta sauce etc. I try to stay on the edge of the supermarket where fresh or frozen food is. I would eat something with sugar, hfcs, or more than 5 ingredients. For example I make my own baked beans, bread, granola with food that has a name I recognise and no sugar added to it. Cheerios brought out a high protein cereal. It's has 4g a portion of protein added. Unfortunately it's also added 17 times the sugar. It's classed as a healthy cereal which is just ridiculous.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    If you've found that eating whole foods vs processed foods has helped you, then by all means, continue doing so, and don't let the people on here get you down.

The lion's share of the people on here are just full blown cico pushers, and don't know much about nutrition beyond what a nutrition facts sheet can tell them.

I would not go so far as cutting all processed foods from my diet personally, but by and large my own died consists of whole foods (legumes, vegetables, whole grains, eggs, fish, etc) vs prepared foods, and I'm happy with that.

Cico is great for losing weight, and if you are struggling with that, look at your calorie intake vs. Expenditures. But don't mistake eating at a deficit with eating a healthy balanced diet. They aren't one and the same.

in 9 days i will have a masters in Nutrition so im not one of those "nutrition fact sheet readers"... or am i..... and i can tell you that 99% of the time that people bring up CICO is speaking on weight loss. Yes.. for weight loss it is just CICO. I dont think ive seen anyone say CICO and u will always forever be 100% healthy. I could practice cico and eat tubs of lard.. be skinny... but not be healthy. the two dont always go hand in and and ive never seen any of these "pushers" say so.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    While I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of Dr. Lustig, I don't jump to discredit his research. A large portion of my diet is real food, including many food products made from scratch.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I wouldn't say 'most people' but there are definitely some very vocal folks here who wont miss a beat when given a chance to slam Lustig (and frankly, a whole bunch of other stuff to slam too, if we are being honest) Just don't allow them to bait you into a discussion as they are not the least bit open minded about discussing anything, IMO.

• KarlynKeto
    Options

I enjoyed Lustig's book and videos. I have no doubt you experienced great results with clean eating, it is a fabulous way to eat. Congratulations!
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was still a junior on this forum when I tried to ask why mfp don't make a difference betw sugars from fruits and wholesome foods and added sugars and I cited one documentary just to explain what I meant to say and wow that was fire hot discussion! Anyway I believe what I believe,and I mostly eat fruits,veggies, whole grains, seeds nuts i also love pasta and pizza though (very very rately , which I cook myself or I eat only high quality from Top places) and I avoid meat/fish . I never drink sodas, never eat prepared foods /prepared frozen and all of the foods you find on supermarket shelves and I am happy like that. I simply don't like what's in the long list of ingredients and to me the lesser ingredients the better. Yesterday i bought something and they gave me a free diet soda and I looked at two first ingredients : carbonated water and caramel color , why should I drink this ? And non diet soda 30grams sugar per can??? No way. I eat food that are nutritious for the body and all of that suspicious ingredients and that high quantity of salt I stay away from it. This is just my way of life. Don't let anybody scare you on the forum!
  • richln
    Options
    richln wrote: »

I try to eat nothing packaged. For example tinned beaked beans, jars of pasta sauce etc. I try to stay on the edge of the supermarket where fresh or frozen food is. I would eat something with sugar, hfcs, or more than 5 ingredients. For example I make my own baked beans, bread, granola with food that has a name I recognise and no sugar added to it. Cheerios brought out a high protein cereal. It's has 4g a portion of protein added. Unfortunately it's also added 17 times the sugar. It's classed as a healthy cereal which is just ridiculous.

Fresh food (and freshly prepared meals) often taste better, but it is not inherently healthier than food that has been packaged. That concept is more of a result of marketing that appeals to naturalistic fallacy. I have seen no credible scientific evidence to suggest that glucose or hfcs is unhealthy. There are some benefits to low-carb diet for individuals with metabolic syndrome, but health markers in those individuals are also improved just by losing weight in general. I also see no benefit to arbitrary dietary restrictions based on the number of ingredients used in a meal, or whether or not I am familiar with the ingredients used.

I am not fan of Lustig. His opinion is very minority in the medical/dietitian field. In addition to the links already provided in this thread, you can find lots of criticism for his claims online. If you search these forums, you can also find a great amount of threads already discussing him. IIRC, the member Senecarr provided some very well constructed arguments against him. Please don't interpret this as a personal attack. You asked about Lustig, and I am offering my perspective.
  • richln
    Options

Thank you for explaining that for us CICO simpletons. I was just about to go eat my balanced dinner of pop-tarts and donuts just like all the other pushers on here.
  • KarlynKeto
    edited April 2016
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

I could practice cico and eat tubs of lard.. be skinny... but not be healthy. the two dont always go hand in and and ive never seen any of these "pushers" say so.

I totally agree, they are definitely not implying it's a healthy approach. When I read "Eat everything! Just eat less! It's a CICO thing! End of discussion! (((Repeat ad-nauseum)))" I don't see anything in that kind of advice that addresses health or sustainability. My own health issues would never have been dealt with so well if I kept pounding my head with the CICO advice. Food choices really do matter, everyone just needs to find what works best for them.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I don't think any of us "cico pushers" confuse eating at a deficit with a healthy balanced diet. In fact, the vast majority of us will ALSO make that point.

Shockingly, many of us ALSO eat diets that consist of mostly whole foods. The difference is we don't villify foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think the claim that people don't care about nutrition and ignore health in their advice is both obviously false -- read pretty much any thread that asks "can I eat just whatever and lose weight" -- and intentionally insulting. If you really think that (and I find it hard to believe that anyone sincerely could), I wish you'd raise it with the people who do it on occasion, rather than making such a broad statement that serves to insult so many of us.

I will note that my first post in this very thread talked about nutrition and sources for advice that I find credible, and also explained (because there is a good explanation) why MFP does not separate added sugar and other sugars, despite such things as the WHO recommendation.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    While I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of Dr. Lustig, I don't jump to discredit his research. A large portion of my diet is real food, including many food products made from scratch.

I dont either but science does.