Losing body fat. Curious of what others in this community would do.

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about ounces vs. grams. My scale gives ounces out to several decimal places. However, if you haven't been losing for two months and you don't have some sort of medical complication, you are eating too much to lose and need to cut calories to do it. It doesn't matter what you put on your diary. If you're losing weight slowly and want to speed it up, eat less or burn more calories.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    What's with the hilarious "this person" veneer?
  • jemhh
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    What's with the hilarious "this person" veneer?

Yes. It's driving me nuts. I've decided to act as if the OP is "this person."
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't really care about ounces vs. grams. My scale gives ounces out to several decimal places. However, if you haven't been losing for two months and you don't have some sort of medical complication, you are eating too much to lose and need to cut calories to do it. It doesn't matter what you put on your diary. If you're losing weight slowly and want to speed it up, eat less or burn more calories.

I agree the person could lower calories even more and weight loss will eventually happen, but at what point is recommended/safe to keep cutting back. I have nutritional concerns. Making sure macros are hit and nutrients the lower you go the harder it is.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

This is not accurate logging sorry.

I see 8.2 oz not grams
    I see peanut butter in tbsp not grams.

8.2 oz of chicken thigh is 232.6 grams of meat USDA has those calories at 381 not 369. Small difference but just pointing out logging is not accurate.

I suspect eating more than they think...esp measuring peanut butter in tbsp.

ETA so in any given day this log can be off from anywhere 100-200 calories 700-1400 a week...even with not logging exercise this is not going to work.

Hence the 0.8lbs lost in 3 weeks not the 3 you probably expected.

The scale they use does both grams and ounces, it's the same no matter of conversation, as I tested it myself.

Then I looked into your diary and see you do the same thing. Northumberland - Cereal Cream 10%, 4 tbsp 60 4 6 1 0 0

Cream is a liquid and can be measured with tbsp.

Besides I am not complaining about not losing....I've lost 50+lbs logging accurately and consistently.

Not once did I come here and say "help what am I doing wrong..." because I log(ged) accurately and consistently.
  • jemhh
    Options

I agree the person could lower calories even more and weight loss will eventually happen, but at what point is recommended/safe to keep cutting back. I have nutritional concerns. Making sure macros are hit and nutrients the lower you go the harder it is.

I have no concerns because I think the problem lies with faulty logging. Either weights/measurements are wrong or things are being left off entirely. As far as I know, you're eating 1900 while thinking you're eating 1600. In that case, cut your calories to what you think is 1400. It's going to be around 1700 in all likelihood and you'll lose weight.
  • Jcl81
    edited April 2016
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

8.2 oz of chicken thigh is 232.6 grams of meat USDA has those calories at 381 not 369. Small difference but just pointing out logging is not accurate.

ETA so in any given day this log can be off from anywhere 100-200 calories 700-1400 a week...even with not logging exercise this is not going to work.

The scale they use does both grams and ounces, it's the same no matter of conversation, as I tested it myself.

Then I looked into your diary and see you do the same thing. Northumberland - Cereal Cream 10%, 4 tbsp 60 4 6 1 0 0

Besides I am not complaining about not losing....I've lost 50+lbs logging accurately and consistently.

Not once did I come here and say "help what am I doing wrong..." because I log(ged) accurately and consistently.

There is a huge difference in losing 50 pounds as it's easier to lose weight if you have more to lose, not the same as trying to lose 4-10 pounds. No, you did not come here asking for advice, but the advice you give goes against what you're doing yourself. I mean bread is not a slice, but it can be logged as one, even though on the back of packages it will say slice then something 26/1.0 oz. So, you're saying this person should be that microscopic with detail? I'll start having them do this.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

There is a huge difference in losing 50 pounds and trying to lose 4-10 pounds. No, you did not come here asking for advice, but the advice you give goes against what you're doing yourself. I mean bread is not a slice, but it can be logged as one, even though on the back of packages it will say slice then something 26/1.0 oz. So, you're saying this person should be that microscopic in detail? I'll start having them do this.

When I was first logging I weighted prepackaged foods and chose to buy those that are most accurate that i like the most.

ie my bread is accurate even if it's a slice. I weighed it enough to know that the package nutrition is accurate.

and the less you have to lose the more accurate you have to be....

I have been here for almost 3 years...losing my vacation weight atm otherwise I would be eating maintenance.

I don't have an issue with accuracy or even "guessing" now I've weighed and logged this entire time only taking breaks when I didn't have internet access...
  • jemhh
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

There is a huge difference in losing 50 pounds as it's easier to lose weight if you have more to lose, not the same as trying to lose 4-10 pounds. No, you did not come here asking for advice, but the advice you give goes against what you're doing yourself. I mean bread is not a slice, but it can be logged as one, even though on the back of packages it will say slice then something 26/1.0 oz. So, you're saying this person should be that microscopic with detail? I'll start having them do this.

So you're assuming that the entire time she was losing weight that she was 50 pounds away from goal? That makes no sense. If she was 190 to start and eventually got to 140, at some point she was 144-150. She's been 4-10 pounds from goal. She knows what she's talking about.

• Jcl81
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

There is a huge difference in losing 50 pounds and trying to lose 4-10 pounds. No, you did not come here asking for advice, but the advice you give goes against what you're doing yourself. I mean bread is not a slice, but it can be logged as one, even though on the back of packages it will say slice then something 26/1.0 oz. So, you're saying this person should be that microscopic in detail? I'll start having them do this.

When I was first logging I weighted prepackaged foods and chose to buy those that are most accurate that i like the most.

ie my bread is accurate even if it's a slice. I weighed it enough to know that the package nutrition is accurate.

and the less you have to lose the more accurate you have to be....

I have been here for almost 3 years...losing my vacation weight atm otherwise I would be eating maintenance.

I don't have an issue with accuracy or even "guessing" now I've weighed and logged this entire time only taking breaks when I didn't have internet access...

Good job on your loss, by the way!
  • Jcl81
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

So you're assuming that the entire time she was losing weight that she was 50 pounds away from goal? That makes no sense. If she was 190 to start and eventually got to 140, at some point she was 144-150. She's been 4-10 pounds from goal. She knows what she's talking about.

I don't know what her goal is. To me it came across as well, I lost this much weight so it has to work for everyone.
  • jemhh
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

I don't know what her goal is. To me it came across as well, I lost this much weight so it has to work for everyone.

Accurate calorie counting, a calorie deficit, and patience will work for anybody (barring medical complications.)
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    To be fair, from a physical standpoint measuring everything and logging it accurately and eating less than you burn will work for everyone. It's getting the mind and body to adapt to it that's tricky!
  • Jcl81
    edited April 2016
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

Accurate calorie counting, a calorie deficit, and patience will work for anybody (barring medical complications.)

You're still assuming it's inaccurate logging. And though it could be you don't know if the person has already lost weight before February. Did they just start at 160 or were they 175 and go to 160. So instead of helping, you are now ridiculing this person and me over an idea that it has to be poor logging. Even though it could be a plateau, muscle weight gain. You aimed your sights on inaccurate logging.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

You're still assuming it's inaccurate logging. And though it could be you don't know if the person has already lost weight before February. Did they just start at 160 or were they 175 and go to 160. So instead of helping, you are now ridiculing this person and me over an idea that it has to be poor logging. Even though it could be a plateau, muscle weight gain. You aimed your sights on inaccurate logging.

Inaccurate logging is the most common problem. It's not an insult to suggest it's happening. It's something that most of us (myself included) have done and had to overcome at some point or another.
  • jemhh
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

Lol. This is what I've said:
    If he hasn't been losing long term, he would need to cut calories to start losing.
    However, if you haven't been losing for two months and you don't have some sort of medical complication, you are eating too much to lose and need to cut calories to do it.

Then, since you never said that this hasn't been a long term problem, I repeated that the problem is inaccurate calorie counting. Look, you're the one asking for help. It's up to you to provide the info needed for us to advise you as we can only make suggestions based on what you've stated.

I know, I know. This is MFP, Land of Biological Anomalies Who Log Accurately and Yet Cannot Lose Weight Despite Years of Calorie Deficits. And in that case, I'm sorry to tell you that you are screwed. It doesn't matter what you do. You are never going to lose weight.

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Wow this is a nutty thread! The logging is not accurate. The deficit seems small so mistakes could negate it. Calculators just provide approximations, not thermodynamic realities. If something is working slowly? What's your question? If something stops working? Look for modifications of those assumptions & approximations you made previously.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

Yes we do because of the following

plateau is a fancy fitness word for eating at maintenance
    muscle weight gain happens in a surplus and you would be gaining not losing

it is poor inaccurate logging based on the information provided.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

Inaccurate logging can work for awhile. When it stops working though, you have to tighten up the logging or cut back a bit on the amount consumed.
    Saying a person needs to double check and be more careful with their food logs isn't "ridiculing" them.

When people ask questions about why they aren't losing the responses generally start with:

- How long has it been since you last saw the scale move?
    - Are you watching the trend or just going by individual weigh ins?
    - Are you weighing all solid's and using cups for only liquids?
    - Are you sure the entries your using from the database are correct? (the database is largely user generated and as such there is a lot of inaccurate stuff in there)
    - Are you logging consistently? (Everyday / every meal)
    - (If female) Are you around that TOM?
    - Are you using entries that are labeled " Homemade - " ? (example: Homemade - Tuna Salad....you don't know what the person who created that database entry used to make that tuna salad or how much of what and the nutritional information for it won't be accurate for your tuna salad)

I remember a post, maybe a month or so ago that the poster opened her diary so we could see. It had been a really long time since she lost weight. She was using a shredded chicken entry that was only 1/4 or 1/3 of the calories that would be in the amount of chicken she was using. That was a huge difference in just the one entry which she used frequently. She thought her logging was accurate and it had been working up to a point, but it eventually got to where the errors in logging wiped out the deficit she thought she had.
  • Jcl81
    edited April 2016
    Options
    0xpz1uugtldz.jpg

I see 8.2 oz not grams

Inaccurate logging is the most common problem. It's not an insult to suggest it's happening. It's something that most of us (myself included) have done and had to overcome at some point or another.

The person would have to be eating at maintenance which is 1983 (to not gain or lose weight) calories a day, which would be straight up lying not inaccurately logging. Although, I believe 15 calories here and there would matter we're talking about 300 with a deficit of food alone, and an extra 100 a day with workouts/cardio, and the days they are under what is needed in the first place. 400-600 extra inaccurately logged calories a day is a lot to mistakenly forget. This is where I am insulted.