serving sizes...

Options
Does anyone else find it confusing that serving sizes are given in Ounces, grams, slices...etc? I wish this app make it easy to convert all the choices into one general weight. For deli meats, I like it when it tells me how many slices I can have, or the next best is Ounces. Ok, that's my rant... Good Morning! :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Slices is pretty generic, because no two slices will be the same size. I weigh all my foods, so I prefer grams. It's just all dependent on what the user who created the entry used.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    In theory, that information is on the package. My ham for example says serving size 4 slices and I scanned the barcode to add it to my diary. My bread two sliced per serving and I scan that too. I am NOT a food scale user.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Slices is pretty generic, because no two slices will be the same size. I weigh all my foods, so I prefer grams. It's just all dependent on what the user who created the entry used.

+1

Grams for me too. :)
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above, "one slice" could mean any size, I tend to avoid those entries on the database unless I know what calorie amount I'm looking for or if I've entered the barcode myself. Measuring in grams or ounces is much more accurate.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight is the most accurate way to log your food. Grams are the most precise measurement. A lot of people would want just weight measurements in grams for solid foods. They use a food scale and weigh their portions. They complain about entries that use slices or cups.
    You choose what food database entry that you want to use. Most entries have a variety of options because users have entered them. If none of the entries is actually correct for your product you can edit an entry by clicking on the food and then edit on the site. Go to "my foods" on the site to make your own database entry.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    In theory, that information is on the package. My ham for example says serving size 4 slices and I scanned the barcode to add it to my diary. My bread two sliced per serving and I scan that too. I am NOT a food scale user.

I've discovered that the information on the package can be completely wrong. I'm thinking about some chips I had in the past. The package said a serving was 1 ounce or 14 pieces. When I weighed out an ounce, I discovered it was actually 8-9 pieces.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just grumbling last night that I couldn't find the rolls I was looking for by ounces or grams. One package of bakery rolls went from 1 to 1.5 oz per roll. I had to look up the rolls on another site, find out what the bakery considered the weight of "one roll" and then do math.

I wish I didn't have to hunt for recipes with one unit (like, medium banana) as well as volume and weight measurements. Most days I weigh stuff, but sometimes you just want to grab a piece of fruit without pulling out the scale.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It should be on the package. The estimations are always off (2 slices, etc), so just go by the weight that follows it.

For example, this is boar's head roasted turkey. You'd weigh out your 2oz or 56g and follow that.

8wpff25umekc.jpg
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    What's great with MFP is that if you end up taking a few slices and you have 59grams, you can log that easily without having to do any calculations.
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It should be on the package. The estimations are always off (2 slices, etc), so just go by the weight that follows it.

For example, this is boar's head roasted turkey. You'd weigh out your 2oz or 56g and follow that.

8wpff25umekc.jpg

That's awesome Queen, I've always looked at the package for serving sizes, but I've never notice that there can be more than one way that the serving size is listed... Thanks! :)