New to jogging couch to a 5k program

Options
So, my weight loss journey has been going on for over the past few years. At my heaviest I was 320 and now I am 220. Somewhere around the 270-260 mark, I got it in my head that I wanted to start jogging and eventually to do a marathon. I tried to do a C25K program and I was on a treadmill and a older gentleman at gym came over and told me not to do that because I was still to heavy and I was better off on an elliptical or an incline walking on a treadmill. Now that I am down to 219, can I start a C25k program? Also, with those programs, how do you keep track of the times of walking vs. jogging in the beginning part of those workouts? Is there an app that will send an alert? Do you just keep track of it yourself?

Replies

• festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You could have started it before, I started at 250.

I use and still use RunDouble. It will tell you when to walk and when to jog, just go slow and repeat days/weeks if you feel you need to.
    http://www.rundouble.com/home
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'd like to slap that guy. I started run/walking at 270, and am really glad I did. One of my friends is in the 300s, and just completed her first half marathon. Sure, no matter what weight you are, the elliptical or biking is easier on your knees. But if you prefer jogging, then it's better for you because you'll keep up with it.

There are a ton of apps to keep track of your run/walk intervals and alert you when it's time to change up. When I was using my phone for that, I liked Run Keeper the best, but try several because they all have pros and cons. Be sure to try a couple of C25K specific apps -- they will give you the alerts, too, and track where you are supposed to be in your progress. (FWIW, I ended up switching to a Garmin watch because some of my runs were at a park next to a busy street, and I was missing the alerts from the phone due to traffic noise. The Garmin vibrates, so I didn't miss the alerts.)
  • wvscubaguy
    wvscubaguy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First, yes you can start running. I use a Gym Boss I bought online. Easy, small cheap. Our 5k community is great. I am a race director for a 5k every October. We had a guy who was over 380 finish last year and there were runners who finished that went back out on the course to be with him and about 100 people at the finish to cheer. It seems that the moment you show up at a race you are part of the tribe. Good luck and stay at it.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That guy sounds like a rude, nosy person. If you are comfortable and not in pain, then do it. I'm 240 and was on week 5 before it became frigid outside. Planning on beginning again this week or next week.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I love the app, "Zombies, Run!" It's a lot of fun and there are loads of features. I also think Jeff Galloway has great advice for beginners over at http://www.jeffgalloway.com - he is known for the walk / run method. I use the walk / run method to keep from getting hurt and it works great.

MakeYesHappen is a web site for Virtual Races. They're a lot of fun and it's a good web site, highly recommend.

Welcome to running runner! We're glad to have you :D
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    You've already got some advice on apps etc., but I just wanted to chime in to say that while that guy was out of line and mostly wrong, it is worth keeping in mind that the heavier you are, the harder running will be on your joints, and so if you are a heavier runner you need to take good care of yourself. The right shoes, stopping if you experience pain (some muscle soreness is okay but knee/ankle/foot pain especially should be taken seriously), taking care to not do all your running on hard pavement, etc etc. You can do it and you should if you want to, but pay attention to your body and don't injure yourself - it's okay to take a break or repeat C25K workouts or weeks instead of moving on if you feel you need to.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'd like to slap that guy. I started run/walking at 270, and am really glad I did. One of my friends is in the 300s, and just completed her first half marathon. Sure, no matter what weight you are, the elliptical or biking is easier on your knees. But if you prefer jogging, then it's better for you because you'll keep up with it.

There are a ton of apps to keep track of your run/walk intervals and alert you when it's time to change up. When I was using my phone for that, I liked Run Keeper the best, but try several because they all have pros and cons. Be sure to try a couple of C25K specific apps -- they will give you the alerts, too, and track where you are supposed to be in your progress. (FWIW, I ended up switching to a Garmin watch because some of my runs were at a park next to a busy street, and I was missing the alerts from the phone due to traffic noise. The Garmin vibrates, so I didn't miss the alerts.)

I agree you are fine to start running and you were fine when you were heavier too! Also agree with the above, if running is something you WANT to do than absolutely it can be the best for you. It's honestly not much more injury prone than a lot of other things, the key is not to do too much too soon.

Go get fitted for good shoes at a local running store. Make sure when you first start you always take a rest day between days you jog. My other advice is to GO SLOW. People think they need to RUN, but at first you are just trying to get your muscles used to it. You should be able to carry on a conversation without gasping (though not necessarily easily) while jogging. If you can't, too fast.

I started with Couch to 5k. I used a $10 timex stop watch to measure my intervals. I just remembered the intervals online and did that. Later I used podcasts from Robert Ullrey where he plays music and tells you when to jog/walk(these were free back in the day, probably still should be if you can get them). Other folks use Couch to 5k apps that will also tell you when to walk/jog. It wasn't long before I dropped the money on a GPS watch rather than using simple timers so I could also keep track of how far, but that's not necessary when you first get started. And most importantly, just have fun!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Now that I am down to 219, can I start a C25k program?

I marshaled a Marathon last year where one of the runners was about 280lbs. I've run half marathons where there are other runners of a similar weight.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I got a c25k app from Zen Labs.

It'll tell you when to walk and run. It also tells you at the top of the workout how long you'll be walking and running for.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Lesson #1 - stop listening to random freaks at the gym. Have confidence in yourself and your own decisions.

Go start C25k. I used the Run Double app. But if you put in c25k a lot of apps are available.
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    As all the others said, that guy was full of BS. I have a friend who is well over 200 pounds and who's finished a few 10Ks. He is my inspiration to get my butt doing C25K because if he did it, I have not excuse at 186. I'm just waiting to be sure that my foot problem is completely healed and then I'm getting out there to do it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe check with your doctor too. It depends on your overall fitness, leg strength, endurance, and joint health. Take it slow and easy til you see how your body responds.
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Maybe check with your doctor too. It depends on your overall fitness, leg strength, endurance, and joint health. Take it slow and easy til you see how your body responds.

When that guy approached me, back at that weight, I showed my doc the program and she said go ahead but to take it slow.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Lesson #1 - stop listening to random freaks at the gym. Have confidence in yourself and your own decisions.

Go start C25k. I used the Run Double app. But if you put in c25k a lot of apps are available.

But all the best advice I've ever received started out with "Bro"
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

When that guy approached me, back at that weight, I showed my doc the program and she said go ahead but to take it slow.

That is what C25K starts you out slow.

The only reason I waited to do it until last summer was I smoked...I quit smoking the winter before....It was a great program.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted for good shoes at a local running store. Make sure when you first start you always take a rest day between days you jog. My other advice is to GO SLOW. People think they need to RUN, but at first you are just trying to get your muscles used to it. You should be able to carry on a conversation without gasping (though not necessarily easily) while jogging. If you can't, too fast.

As a relatively recent graduate of C25k (last fall), I really agree with this advice. I started at 250 lbs and loved it and have been running (mostly) ever since. I will say though I did get runner's knee (a few weeks after my first 5k) because I wasn't properly warming up/cooling down/stretching -it is really important to remember to do that.

Runners come in all shapes, sizes, speeds, etc. As long as your doctor okay's your health and program (like you said they did), then you go and rock it! :) Good luck!
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love a podcast called Chubby Jones, in which she used the couch to 5k program and some great music, while prompting you when to run and walk. There are many other podcasts out there (and of course apps too!) but that one is by far my fav :)
  • derevelle
    derevelle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used the C25k app as well when I started running again. And like a lot of people, I ran too fast. I learned that if I couldn't sing along to my ipod, I needed to slow down. Good luck and welcome to the running community! :)
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I started at 320, and could barely make it 30 seconds without feeling like I was going to collapse. Now, I'm down to 235, and I've blown the doors off c25k. Working on a 5k-to-10k program now.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    So, my weight loss journey has been going on for over the past few years. At my heaviest I was 320 and now I am 220. Somewhere around the 270-260 mark, I got it in my head that I wanted to start jogging and eventually to do a marathon. I tried to do a C25K program and I was on a treadmill and a older gentleman at gym came over and told me not to do that because I was still to heavy and I was better off on an elliptical or an incline walking on a treadmill. Now that I am down to 219, can I start a C25k program? Also, with those programs, how do you keep track of the times of walking vs. jogging in the beginning part of those workouts? Is there an app that will send an alert? Do you just keep track of it yourself?

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss! That's a big number and if I were you I'd be feeling pretty fantastic!

You are telling a story, that is so similar to mine and I could just hug you! I started running at 325 lbs and as the weight flew off, I decided to run the Honolulu Marathon (I'm from Canada... running outside required a reward thru the cold months, LOL). I lost about 100 lbs and did it 11 months after starting running. This despite people telling me I couldn't, I was crazy etc.. (that became my motivation... when told I couldn't, I said... Just watch me!). Since then I've coached numerous runners to personal bests thru the Running Room programs.

For the guy who told you not to run on a treadmill... Pour him a nice hot cup of STFU and do it anyways! Yes, you can run! C25K is a great starting program which has been successful for a great number of novice runners. I am in fact using it right now as I rehab from a serious Achilles injury.

I actually have the full suite of Couch to Apps on my iPhone. The C25K app is free to download and will tell you when to run, when to walk via voice and vibration. It also allows you to play music which is a nice feature to have. There is also a C210K and 26.2 App that you can follow up with.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

Congrats Again!