I need a rest day

Options
In need of a rest day but feel guilty when I don't jog

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have to force myself to take a rest day and I really don't like doing it. It certainly doesn't help mentally to do it, physically, I think it helps.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Take a walk. A nice easy, slow, no pressure walk. See the sky, smell the flowers, listen to the birds. Relax, breathe and enjoy. Get back to work tomorrow.
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Take a walk. A nice easy, slow, no pressure walk. See the sky, smell the flowers, listen to the birds. Relax, breathe and enjoy. Get back to work tomorrow.

• gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this for a while, and hit a point where what works best for me is to jog M-F -- immediately after work, like it's my job -- and then to not on the weekends. Sometimes I still go for a walk, but not always.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

This.

First, don't feel guilty about rest days. They're when you get stronger. Exercise tears your muscles apart, and they only get to rebuild themselves when you rest. Otherwise you just live in a permanent state of fatigue.

But a nice, low key walk still gets you out of the house. It's spring time so everything is blooming. And the gentle walking motion can work some of the soreness out of your legs.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

This.

First, don't feel guilty about rest days. They're when you get stronger. Exercise tears your muscles apart, and they only get to rebuild themselves when you rest. Otherwise you just live in a permanent state of fatigue.

But a nice, low key walk still gets you out of the house. It's spring time so everything is blooming. And the gentle walking motion can work some of the soreness out of your legs.

I agree with all of this except the fatigue part. I have been extremely energized through all this. Maybe the fatigue will hit as the daylight hours increase and I am more active with yardwork.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    On my rest day I do an hour of yoga and walk on my lunch break. Still moving/burning calories/keeping a routine, but not nearly as intense as my workouts.