Squatting with Smith Machine

Options
Does anyone have any experience with this? The first time I tried it, it hurt my traps so bad I couldn't do much of anything. I just tried again today with the pad on the bar and tweaked my back & therefore couldn't finish. I find I'm having a hard time keeping good form while using this as well, but there is not freestanding bar to use at my gym. Any suggestions other than just don't use it?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    If you have no one to instruct you how to squat correctly on a Smith Machine, then don't try it. As mentioned above, use dumbells or goblet squat, or even a sumo squat while standing on a couple of risers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Goblet and other dumbbell squats until you can find a gym with a freestanding bar. I know you asked for advice other than just don't do it, but Smith machines can really risk injury because of form issues, and you seem to be feeling some of those effects already. Here's an article about it:
    http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

This
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't use the smith machine, it's an awful device that restricts your range of motion. Use freeweights instead.