Weight lifting advice

Options
Antd420
Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
Ok, I weigh 199lbs with a fair amount of muscle, I want to cut down to around 180lbs. I have my calories set at 1910 with my macros at carbs 40 protein 40 and fat 20 percent, is this about right for losing fat and maintaining muscle? I lift weights for about 90 minutes and 45 minutes cardio. WHATS YOUR OPINION OR SUGGESTIONS? THANKS

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me. Weight loss is really just about having a calorie deficit, 1900 calories should put you at one. The smaller your deficit the more muscle you will retain. Strength training is crucial for muscle retention, make sure you're lifting heavy, structured programs and compound lifts are typically best. So yeah looks good.
  • Antd420
    Options
    Sounds right to me. Weight loss is really just about having a calorie deficit, 1900 calories should put you at one. The smaller your deficit the more muscle you will retain. Strength training is crucial for muscle retention, make sure you're lifting heavy, structured programs and compound lifts are typically best. So yeah looks good.

Thanks for the comment
  • liftzilla16
    liftzilla16 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Couldn't have said it better myself. +1 for this
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lot of working out. Is that EVERY day?
  • Antd420
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    That sounds like a lot of working out. Is that EVERY day?

I do that 5 days a week
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fat loss is all about the calories. 1900 doesn't seem like a lot for a guy at your weight...seems to be a steep cut.

I lose on 1900...not a lot mind you but it's a deficit for me.
  • Antd420
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    fat loss is all about the calories. 1900 doesn't seem like a lot for a guy at your weight...seems to be a steep cut.

I lose on 1900...not a lot mind you but it's a deficit for me.

I just started this diet, and I agree. I might need to increase my calories a bit, I'm gonna give it until the end of the week and see how I feel.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Antd420 wrote: »
    Ok, I weigh 199lbs with a fair amount of muscle, I want to cut down to around 180lbs. I have my calories set at 1910 with my macros at carbs 40 protein 40 and fat 20 percent, is this about right for losing fat and maintaining muscle? I lift weights for about 90 minutes and 45 minutes cardio. WHATS YOUR OPINION OR SUGGESTIONS? THANKS

Really depends. I'm 5'10", 172lbs and lift hard for 90+ minutes a day. I'm eating approx 3,000 calories a day just to maintain.

You can cut at a deficit, obviously, but you don't want to starve those muscles, either. Most recommend, to cut, drop 500 calories from your maintenance intake to start and drop more if needed.
  • Antd420
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »

Really depends. I'm 5'10", 172lbs and lift hard for 90+ minutes a day. I'm eating approx 3,000 calories a day just to maintain.

You can cut at a deficit, obviously, but you don't want to starve those muscles, either. Most recommend, to cut, drop 500 calories from your maintenance intake to start and drop more if needed.

Not sure what I would need to maintain. So I should figure that out and subtract 500 calories?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Not sure what I would need to maintain. So I should figure that out and subtract 500 calories?

you can try a calculator online try googling scooby TDEE...keep in mind it's not perfect but gives you a starting point.

I prefer to calculate based on my results. Using a food scale log accurately and consistently for at least 21 days then tally the data into this calculation

Total calories consumed+(total lbs lost x 3500)/#days.
  • Antd420
    Options

you can try a calculator online try googling scooby TDEE...keep in mind it's not perfect but gives you a starting point.

I prefer to calculate based on my results. Using a food scale log accurately and consistently for at least 21 days then tally the data into this calculation

Thanks
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Thanks

and to give you some idea...I am 43 year old woman who weighs 155 and is 5 ft 7....I lift 4x a week in the winter and my TDEE is about 2000.

In the summer/spring/fall when I add in cardio it could be anywhere from 2200-2600...

My son's is about 4k with his training, work and other activities...he is 22.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Macro split looks good. I generally eat 40/30/30 and let my carbs increase on heavy cardio days.

As for calories, that does seem low. Others have given good suggestions on that.
  • Antd420
    Options

Thanks

and to give you some idea...I am 43 year old woman who weighs 155 and is 5 ft 7....I lift 4x a week in the winter and my TDEE is about 2000.

In the summer/spring/fall when I add in cardio it could be anywhere from 2200-2600...

Thanks, I figured it out roughly and I'm increasing my calories to 2200-2300
  • Antd420
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Macro split looks good. I generally eat 40/30/30 and let my carbs increase on heavy cardio days.

As for calories, that does seem low. Others have given good suggestions on that.

Thanks
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Thanks

Good starting point I think. See how it goes for a few weeks and reassess. Good luck.
  • Antd420
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Thanks

Good starting point I think. See how it goes for a few weeks and reassess. Good luck.
    Will do, appreciate the comment.