Mindset of maintenance?

Options
I reached my goal weight a month or so ago but am having a hard time transitioning to a maintenance. I am training for a marathon so I know I need to be eating more but I can't get myself to and am still losing weight. Any advice??

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Keel tracking until you find you are eating enough. It doesn't hurt to slowly increase your calories by 150-250 per day per week until you hit maintenance, keeping in mind that if you're training like that then you really do need the fuel.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Keel tracking until you find you are eating enough. It doesn't hurt to slowly increase your calories by 150-250 per day per week until you hit maintenance, keeping in mind that if you're training like that then you really do need the fuel.

Do I just need to almost force myself to eat or snack more throughout the day?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lot's of options:
    Eat bigger portions, eat more frequently, make higher calorie food choices, drink more calories, have more snacks.

If you have got used to eating "diet", "lite", "low this that or the other" options they are easy things to substitute back for their normal (if you get what I mean) counterparts without changing your feeding routine.

But yes you do need to eat more. Think of it as fuel if that helps.

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, just getting to maintenance without exercise. I increased my meal calories a little more, but more of the additional calories came by adding a mid-afternoon snack (Quest bar, Lenny/Larry cookie etc). When I needed to add more, I added a night-time snack of cereal/milk. I think it's easier to add snacks first vs. increasing the size of existing meals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »

If you want to stop losing weight, yes. Also, more calorie dense foods. And if you're going to train like an athlete you need to learn to eat like one.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Yes. Agree with the above.
  • stickkop
    stickkop Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What about adding juice into your diet. It look like you can add 200 to breakfast calories in orange juice alone - thoughts?
  • simmoner4
    Options
    It's almost like I am afraid to eat more because I don't want to gain weight again. I really am trying to learn to eat like an athlete but it has been a difficult transition. Thank you everyone for the input!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    It's almost like I am afraid to eat more because I don't want to gain weight again. I really am trying to learn to eat like an athlete but it has been a difficult transition. Thank you everyone for the input!

It took me about 6 months to fully transition from the weight loss phase, to maintenance. Definitely a lot of mind games that go on during this period!
  • sparklydeer
    sparklydeer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also really struggled with this once I got to maintenance. I ended up losing another 5lb whilst I got my head around the best way for me to eat more calories despite not being hungry and being scared that I'd undo all of my hard work! I did it gradually over a few months just increasing it little by little so I didn't feel overwhelmed.

Basically yes, adding an extra snack even when you don't really want one might help. Maybe add a protein shake in with your normal breakfast or take some nuts to snack on when you're out and about? I also started adding almond butter on things like there was no tomorrow, in smoothies or on oatmeal etc, one spoonful adds 100 or so extra cals without feeling like you're eating loads more :)

Good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think a switch turned on in my body while training for a HM earlier the past quarter. What I mean to say is now that it is over and the race is done, upping my calories by 100 each week (plus weekends were free from diligent calorie counting and were basically were in a calorie range so I could now enjoy the weekends again) did the trick, it took me 1 month off of training and race ending to work this out to reach maintenance.

Unless you are still trying to lean out for the race, it will be ok to eat more during your training (drink your calories if you need to with calorie laden smoothies, etc.). Up the calories according to your training needs right now and then you will need to reverse diet.

I still have some issues with eating more. To do this, it will be a weekly process and because you will not stop running when the race is over, you still need to work on TDEE and work in calories burned for normal running into the maintenance equation.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It took me about 4 months to feel comfortable in weight maintenance.
    I was used to logging in that progressive climb to the ultimate goal of 178 pounds, and once I reached it, everything felt strange.
    100 pounds gone - OK, now what???
    My mind was programmed for so long to lose weight that I actually missed it, but with new goals, I resolved to sharpen the saw.
    I will not - NOT be that guy who gains back weight.
    It's been 5 years, and each year, my body fat is a tad lower than last year, and my weight today is always somewhere between 175 and 180 pounds.
  • simmoner4
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I think a switch turned on in my body while training for a HM earlier the past quarter. What I mean to say is now that it is over and the race is done, upping my calories by 100 each week (plus weekends were free from diligent calorie counting and were basically were in a calorie range so I could now enjoy the weekends again) did the trick, it took me 1 month off of training and race ending to work this out to reach maintenance.

Unless you are still trying to lean out for the race, it will be ok to eat more during your training (drink your calories if you need to with calorie laden smoothies, etc.). Up the calories according to your training needs right now and then you will need to reverse diet.

I still have some issues with eating more. To do this, it will be a weekly process and because you will not stop running when the race is over, you still need to work on TDEE and work in calories burned for normal running into the maintenance equation.

Ok I have figured out my TDEE and changed the goals on here. I will work towards that because I know it will benefit me in training. Thank you!!
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The mindset is balance. Full balance is ideal for marathon training.

I'm in the same boat - only be maintaining for 3 months and I still feel this need to have a deficit every day. I have days where I go over it so it balances and then there's the training. A single 10 mile run is almost a 1200 calorie burn. So it really is important you are at a balance.