NEW to this app.

Options
Hello everyone! I am new to this app and I am hoping to use this as a tool to help me lose my weight. I am over weight and struggle with self confidence. I want to be healthy and I struggle so much with food and then I give up. I want to have a healthy lifestyle not just lose weight. I want to be happy again! Any tips, must have foods, motivation would be great!

Replies

• gogirl150lbs
    gogirl150lbs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also new to this app. I have the same goals. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck!
  • theresahickman556
    theresahickman556 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You too! Its never easy process...
  • SpaMaria8
    SpaMaria8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'm sort of new to this community and app, about 6 weeks. I downloaded it to count macros and it works! I bought a kitchen scale and that also helped. I've lost 10 pounds and have about 35 more to go. I joined some low carb high fat groups on fb that helps with motivation & recipe/food ideas.
  • theresahickman556
    Options
    spamaria8 wrote: »
    Welcome. I'm sort of new to this community and app, about 6 weeks. I downloaded it to count macros and it works! I bought a kitchen scale and that also helped. I've lost 10 pounds and have about 35 more to go. I joined some low carb high fat groups on fb that helps with motivation & recipe/food ideas.

Thanks! I am hoping to take slow steps as I want it to be a lifestyle. I will defiantly look at those recipes on fb!
  • easyabz
    easyabz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    your just too pretty makes it hard to believe you lack confidence.
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This app has helped me in the past and I am hoping it does again

feel free to add me if your looking for friends :)
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    easyabz wrote: »

LoL - looks have nothing to do with confidence. It's the media that makes one believe -you need looks only then confidence will come or money then confidence or good job then confidence or gorgeous spouse then confidence. They always attach confidence after what they are selling.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sorry staying on topic.
    Hello everyone! I am new to this app and I am hoping to use this as a tool to help me lose my weight. I am over weight and struggle with self confidence. I want to be healthy and I struggle so much with food and then I give up. I want to have a healthy lifestyle not just lose weight. I want to be happy again! Any tips, must have foods, motivation would be great!

Since you are new - DO NOT FALL FOR ANY SCAM DIETS. Being healthy and losing weight does not always go hand in hand. One can be over-weight and healthy and vice versa.

Only thing that matters for Losing weight is - Calories in vs Calories out- ergo you need to eat less than you use. It's called (TDEE) -search google "Scooby calorie calculator) it will give you the calories you need to eat for losing weight. Invest in a weight scale. Heck you do not even need to exercise to lose weight but it is highly recommended.

Also- exercise and lift heavy things. It'll help maintain/gain muscle. You'd look good after losing weight.

Good luck and you can add me if you like.
  • easyabz
    easyabz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    easyabz wrote: »

LoL - looks have nothing to do with confidence. It's the media that makes one believe -you need looks only then confidence will come or money then confidence or good job then confidence or gorgeous spouse then confidence. They always attach confidence after what they are selling.

True, must come at the end of rainbows.
  • goskins44
    goskins44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

So far all the ideas given are very good. I used this program once before about 4 years ago and it worked then. I lost 60 lbs. I got away from it for reasons not the fault of the app but have now been back for 120 days and have lost almost 30 lbs.

The key is to not do what others do, find what works for you. For me, it was changing things like using more olive oil and less butter. Getting American cheese out of my diet. Adding Mediterranean style salads like watermelon salad and others. There has been a lot of discussion about a "Mediterranean Diet" but there really is no such thing, and if there were I would avoid it (no scam diets as someone else said). It's actually more a way of thinking when you eat.

But at the end of the day, it's all about the numbers. It's simple math. Less in than you use each day. If you want a bag of chips, do it, just make sure to count it and eat something else with much less calories. Find some real low calorie go too snacks. For example no sugar added jello is only 10 cals. Pickles (although high in sodium) are almost zero in calories.

My ex-girlfriend liked the program at first but found the low number of calories allowed for women was frustrating. The calculator is generic and therefore not always accurate. If you run into this, my suggestion would be to measure your calories now and then over time reduce them 10% a week until you get to level you are losing weight regardless of what the My Fitness calculator says. So if right now you are eating an average of 4000 calories a day (I hope not but you might be surprised), then next week go to 3600. Then down to 3340. Etc until you start losing weight. If you drop the number of calories too fast you will get frustrated.

Also, start some kind of workout. It does not need to work out camp or 2 hours of intensive work out that will make you hate life. Again, start slowly and increase till until you are getting a good workout. I believe most doctors recommend 45mins/day 4 days a week. But again, it's very personal. Do what works for you.

Finally, I agree beauty does not determine confidence. You have to like yourself. This app will help you take control of your life and help you begin to like yourself again. Sit down, make a plan, then execute. You will feel so much more in control of your life.

Good luck! I hope it works for you!

As Ben Franklin said - "I have already made this paper too long, for which I must crave pardon, not having now time to make it shorter."
  • try_harderG
    try_harderG Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Here to help feel free to add. Hope I can help?
  • theresahickman556
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I know it is a hard thing to do and can't be done overnight! I have tried everything in the past but never stuck with it. I am now determine to make this a lifestyle change!
  • ty_fit0815
    ty_fit0815 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We all have flaws (I certainly do) just embrace them, work on them, and don't make excuses for them! If you fall down, get back up and try again.
    Remember: Love yourself!!!