Tough Mudder

Options
So...I will be doing my 1st Tough Mudder this weekend and need some advice, if you have any, that would make the experience a success. Not real sure what to expect. Thx in advance for your advice!!!

Replies

• jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ohh that's exciting! I have signed up for my 1st in June. My hubby, cousin, AND father have all been doing them for the past 3 years. They managed to convince me to sign up this year. Though I have yet to run my first, I've gotten lots and lots of advice from them (almost more than I want). They talked about not working out for the few days before the event, be sure to eat healthy all week and then increase your carbs a day or two before (it's helped them maintain their activity level). Are you on a team? What drew me into the event is that all 3 of them talk about how it's "team oriented" and not just focused on completing the fastest. They also say to pace yourself, you don't need to be a bull let out of the gate at the sound of the buzzer, those are the folks that tend to get burnt out fastest.

Oh and they all recommend wearing fitted clothing. The first year they did it, one of their team members lost his shorts in the mud and ran ~8.5 miles in his underwear!

And lastly, just TRY. It's okay if you slip, fall, lost grip, etc. The point is just to push yourself and just try all the obstacles.

Good luck!! Update us on how you did and lessons learned!
  • GetFitStayFit702
    GetFitStayFit702 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am curious how your Mudder went recently. How did you do? I am trying to train for a Tough Mudder or Spartan race. It may take me a while. The rope climb will be the death of me.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    We did our first mudder last fall and are signed up again this fall. Dress for the weather also. Ours was cold (50s and cloudy) and from getting wet all the time people were dropping out all over the place with the hypothermia blankets wrapped around them. And keep moving. I was forced to keep jogging to prevent freezing. I stuffed some beef jerky and hydration chews in a plastic bag in my sports bra. A lot of people have cramping issues too so be sure to drink at each hydration station and eat whatever samples they have of energy things.
  • lukehealy_12
    lukehealy_12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Done my second one Saturday just gone. Just take it as it comes its a good laugh everyone helps everybody out. Just take your time if your struggling and enjoy it. You'll love it!
  • sharmrp
    sharmrp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    tie your shoes really tight -if you can tape them on even better, cos the mud will definitely try and suck them off! Wear clothing and trainers that you don't mind throwing out afterwards!
    However, it's definitely a team thing - I ran mine in a team of 6 but all through the course other folks will help you over/under/around obstacles, and you'll do the same for the strangers around you.
    Defos build up your carbs a few days before, but you get bananas and bits and bobs around the course to keep you going, so its not overly bad.
    Get an early slot if you can - the later it is, the more pounding the course has taken and it's definitely more difficult the later in the day it is as more have broken down some of the bits of the course.
    Hope you've been practicing on the monkey bars!!
    most of all - you'll love it! I injured myself a week before the scottish one last year and was gutted I missed it. Am waiting patiently for my injury to heal (coming on 2 years now) so I can do my next one.....it's an amazing feeling to complete it!!!
    Good Luck!
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm registered for TM New Orleans 2017! That's the whole reason I started on this journey-my cousin did the one in Milton, FL last month and loved it. If she can do it, I can!
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    mrcs_jolly wrote: »
    So...I will be doing my 1st Tough Mudder this weekend and need some advice, if you have any, that would make the experience a success. Not real sure what to expect. Thx in advance for your advice!!!

How did it go??