What strength training can I do in 10 minutes with little equipment?

Options
I haven't been strength training during my weight loss because I've been in the "don't want to" and "don't have time" group. I don't watch any TV or get on the computer while at home except to log recipes and meals on MFP. I don't have a social life because I don't have the free time. And for those who say I have to take time for me before I take care of my two special-needs children, that is easy if you have child care available, but I work days and my husband works midnights and there isn't money in the budget for babysitters. I can't pare out a solid 45 minutes or an hour for "me" without giving up more sleep. Where are my priorities? Sleep comes before fitness, because I've lived for years sleep deprived and it makes me weak and stressed physically, emotionally, and mentally. In that case, my job is at risk and I can't take care of my children and I'm a miserable witch. I'm not going back there.

However, I've discovered that I can find 5-15 minutes a couple of times per day. I used to say I didn't have 10 minutes free to myself in the course of a day, but I found that I CAN get 10 minutes if I really want it. That is how I now get my walking in... 10 minutes at at time, mostly at work. Is that enough to be called "cardio"? Probably not, but if I'm getting 10-11,000 steps a day in 10 minute increments, that is a lot better than sitting for those 10 minute periods because at least I'm moving.

Now I'm ready to take that same approach to strength training. Some, even in just a few minutes, has to be better than none.

Do you have any specific advice/strength training exercises I can do with as little equipment as possible (ideally none so I could do it at work) in 5-10 minutes (a maximum of 15 minutes) at a time? I'm thinking maybe one exercise each time I can grab 10 minutes? I understand that like my walking, it would probably be better for me to do more but I've got to start with what I can manage right now. I want something that will improve my health and gradually improve my appearance, and any improvement is welcome. I don't expect fabulous changes quickly.

Yesterday I checked out a book from the library on bodyweight exercises trying to find something I could do in my cubicle in 5 minutes or less, hoping I could squeeze in some exercise while at work. I've learned to read while I walk, so I'll try to glean some wisdom during this week's walks. :smile:

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Tricep dips, push ups, jumping jacks, squats, lunges...all sorts you can incorporate into a small period of time if you have the room.
  • ymckeever1206
    ymckeever1206 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Search casey Ho "blogilates" on YouTube. She has a lot of great body weight/strength exercises and most of her videos are only 15mins long. Press ups/squats/leg raises. Throughout the day be mindful of your posture. Pull your shoulder blades together and your tummy in and do a few "butt clenches" for all round toning ☺️
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. The list you offered reminds me that it doesn't have to be complicated or intense to start. I had considered jumping jacks cardio, so that was a surprise.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Exercise Directory with videos

For each body part they have exercises you can do just using your body weight or minimal equipment. I would suggest targeting the major muscle groups (back, chest, hips/glutes and upper legs) for the most bang for you buck.

edit: alternatively you can try this if you would prefer the exercises having already been selected:

Beginner body weight workout
  • robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Throughout the day be mindful of your posture. Pull your shoulder blades together

sit or stand with your palms facing forward which will help with posture and engage your back muscles (rhomboids?). Typically palms facing backward gives you a slouched look.

• robbyf1971
    Options
    squats, prisoner squats, push ups, dips using a chair. Go on a walk, load some weight into a backpack or whatever and increase the weight over time.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    10 minutes of yoga! It might help you manage your stress while you strength train. You will build arms and core strength. It is pretty much body weight training. I know you didn't say you wanted help with stress but if you are that busy I'm guessing you could really benefit from a little extra relaxation while you build muscle.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    "10 Minute Solution Pilates - Perfect Body" on YouTube. It's a 50 minute video with four 10-minute pilates sessions and a 10 minute stretching session. Just jump to the one you want, or if you find yourself with more free time than usual do several of them. (You might be able to search for each session individually too?) All that's required is a surface you won't slip around on, and one session suggests using light weights (you don't need them though).

This is a circuit I did for a while and liked a lot. I think it takes 25 minutes if you do the whole thing the way they suggest, but you could shorten rest times in between sets or do one set at a time. The downside is you need a few different sets of dumbbells, but those are worth having around IMO. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/23/1d/4a/231d4a88af307aa5bd8f52c841163f13.png
  • robbyf1971
    Options
    One other comment, is there a gym, YMCA near you? I would recommend making that investment in yourself assuming it is a place you feel comfortable at. Find a beginner's strength training program like Strong lifts 5X5 or there's plenty of others. I tried my own mish mash program but I would find a time tested program to follow. I wish I had started earlier on one rather than doing my own plan.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Tricep dips, push ups, jumping jacks, squats, lunges...all sorts you can incorporate into a small period of time if you have the room.

This!!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Lifting your children is strength training. When you get out of bed, do some push ups. When you get into your chair at work, hold yourself above the chair for a count of 25 before sitting. Calf raises on one leg while waiting for coffee to brew, you have to work it into whatever time you have.

If you have stairs at work, I'd use your ten minute breaks to go up the stairs, and put the strength moves into the daily life time.

And stretch for ten minutes before bed, maybe even longer. Look up some yin yoga poses. That time spent stretching can help you fall asleep quicker so you net the same amount of sleep.

On days off work, let your husband watch the kids while you get a solid half hour or more of exercise time, and then do the same for him.

My thoughts are with you.
  • Dentice143
    Dentice143 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do quite a few exercises at work. I have a desk job, and need the extra movement (along with the few minutes away from the computer) to re-energize myself. My favorites are squats, torso twists, wall push-ups, high knee lifts, and kick-backs. I usually will find a quiet office, or sometimes even the handicap bathroom stall if all the offices are filled, to do them. It takes about 15 minutes for all of them, but you could certainly break them up as little as you want. Since I am at work, I do not do sit-ups, crunches, etc. or anything that involves me getting on the floor. Jumping jacks are and "jump rope" are also good cardio options to really get your heart rate up.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I do short increments at work to keep moving. Just a couple sets here and there is great.
    If you have no weights: desk or table pushups, regular pushups, lunges, jump squats, regular squats, chair dips, punching sets, knee lifts...
    If you have dumbbells: triceps kicks, weighted squats, bicep curls, weighted lunges, dumbbell curl press, dumbbell pullovers, dumbbell thrusters, dumbbell swings, dumbbell rows...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I checked out a book from the library on bodyweight exercises trying to find something I could do in my cubicle in 5 minutes or less, hoping I could squeeze in some exercise while at work. I've learned to read while I walk, so I'll try to glean some wisdom during this week's walks. :smile:

This. You're already on the right track. When I started I purchased a weight bench, spent hundreds on free weights, and although I still use them a couple times a week, they pretty much collected dust for up to a year. The reason.. body weight exercise. Push Ups, Pull Ups, Dips, Body Weight Squats, Crunches, and Sit Ups, Leg Lifts, etc. I can easily blow 10 min, 20 min, or 30 min before my shower in the morning doing these and it's helped more than anything. Doesn't matter how much time you have, do what you can, vary it day by day (do something different each day if necessary) and take at least 1 rest day a week. Down the road if you find more time, or when you get stronger, then you can think about free weights (cheapest option imho) because you can cheaply purchase a set of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 lb dumbells at Wal-Mart or a local store for next to nothing. Don't stop walking though, it's good for you as well. I am a firm believer in mixing cardio with weight training even if it's just body weight training. Heck I enjoy body weight training much more than weight lifting any day of the week. I never really wanted to be a body builder anyway, I just wanted to be fit.

• benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm starting to get excited about this new phase of my journey. I admit that posting in the Fitness forum I feared people would say, "You have to go to a gym and spend 45 minutes+ with weights or you are wasting your time." Going to a gym would be a luxury of time and money that I just can't afford right now.

I am so grateful that you all are offering suggestions which I can try to make myself healthier given the limited time I have. Thank you so much! I'm happy to have a list of exercises so I can do a little research into proper posture/form etc and hopefully by Monday I'll be able to incorporate some into my work day.

And for the posters who suggested Yoga/stretching, I am touched that you recognized that I need something for stress as well as muscle health. Bless you! Finding time for yoga is one of my wish-list items. I have several Yoga DVDs that I got at a used book store months ago and have never opened, but I hope to do so (even if only for 10 minutes!).
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Large muscle group exercise, not tiny isolation exercises, if you want to get it done on a limited time budget. Squat, bridge, pushup or plank of you can't do push-ups.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Lifting your children is strength training. When you get out of bed, do some push ups. When you get into your chair at work, hold yourself above the chair for a count of 25 before sitting. Calf raises on one leg while waiting for coffee to brew, you have to work it into whatever time you have.

If you have stairs at work, I'd use your ten minute breaks to go up the stairs, and put the strength moves into the daily life time.

And stretch for ten minutes before bed, maybe even longer. Look up some yin yoga poses. That time spent stretching can help you fall asleep quicker so you net the same amount of sleep.

On days off work, let your husband watch the kids while you get a solid half hour or more of exercise time, and then do the same for him.

My thoughts are with you.

These are great suggestions! I agree you should look into doing some yoga, it builds strength and is a great stress reliever.