Hypothyroidism & Losing Weight

Options
Hi All,

I have a hypo thyroid condition, which makes it hard to lose weight. I am taking Levothyroxine every morning, and I work out for 45 minutes every single day. I usually walk with a speed of 3.6 for a minute and run on 5.0 for 30 seconds. Does anyone here have this same condition? or how you overcame losing weight with this condition?

Please advice!!

Replies

• blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been hypo (postpartum) for over six years. As long as you are treated (which you said you are, and assuming your levels are stable) then you just have to do what everyone else does-eat at a calorie deficit. I used the "I'm hypothyroid so its harder for me to lose weight" excuse before and that's all it is, an excuse. Its not true.

I take synthoid, tsh/t3/t4 levels are good, and I went from 184lbs to 159lbs in about 65 days. Just he honest with your logging and it shouldn't be any harder to lose weight. I lost weight weeks I did exercise and weeks I didn't.
  • Melsosbee
    Melsosbee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am also hypothyroid for the last 4 years or so, which came about after my second child. My levels are good. My problem is eat too many sweets, I love my chocolate! Once I started logging my calories I realized I was probably realistically eating 500 calories of junk food a day... crazy right? I started limiting a few days ago and already lost 1.5 lbs! I used to think it was harder to lose weight because of the hypothyroid, but now I know its pretty much just all the crap I was eating! I am 36 weigh 154 lbs and my goal weight is 135! :) I have been taking 2-3 classes a week at the gym (zumba/cycling) to help me along.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm am also hypo, I have been on meds since I was probably 10 years old.
    In my experience, if you are properly medicated hypo makes little to no difference to weightloss.
    A few years ago I successfully lost over 60 lbs, and I am currently working on a goal of 65. I have also helped my mother (also hypo) lose over 30 lbs.
    I wouldn't say you need to "overcome" anything. The same rules apply as they do to everyone else. Aside from medication, it's calories in/out. We have both found that we can lose weight on a decent amount of calories, typically more than what this or other tracking apps suggested.
    That being said, we try to stay active. Walking is great and low impact.
    I have been lifting weights for a few years now and mom my enjoys water aerobics.
    I know it's the unpopular opinion, but what worked for me was to stop thinking that I am somehow doomed to be overweight or burdened because of this condition. I used to write it on my profiles and complain about it all the time, and I struggled so so much. Then I decided to stop. I hardly ever think about it in a way that it holds me back. Will I have to get bloodwork regularly and take medication? Yes. And I am probably more tired than most people. But as far as weightloss, I don't let it consume me.
    It has taken me a long time to realize I have an eating and activity problem. I eat too much and don't move, I gain weight. I eat less and move more, I lose weight.
    I watch my bloodwork and how I feel and work with my doctor to adjust my medication accordingly.
    (To elaborate on my journey- I did previously get down to a healthy weight for myself. I didn't know how to transition into maintenance, I also met my husband. I started gaining weight and stopped being active. I started binge eating. I gained it all back and then some. I struggled for a LONG time blaming my body and my thyroid. I was so depressed over it. It has taken me a long time to realize I did this to myself. My thyroid may change things a bit, but I gained that weight because of my lifestyle choices. Now that I've come to terms with that I am working towards my goals again and it's just... Better this way.)
    Sorry this got so long.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    I don't think the last part of my post showed up.. But basically it said I'm sorry if any of that came off as rude, but in my experience it has been better to put it out of my mind in a way when it comes to weightloss.
    Find what works, be consistent. Stay active and track.
  • krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Is the myth about "taking synthroid over levo" helps lose weight fast?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Those are two different names for the same medication. (?)

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i have hypothyroidism and PCOS, and have lost 20lbs since October. i take synthroid and metformin, exercise (lift heavy with cardio mixed in) regularly and count macros (ultimately calories). one major thing i did not learn until a YEAR after being diagnosed was that apparently i was dosing incorrectly when it came to my synthroid - no food or caffeine within 1 hour of taking, cannot take any other prescribed medication at the same time and also must wait to take any types of vitamins until a few hours later (can't remember exact #, might be 7?).

ETA: its unnecessary to cut out foods or food groups from your diet unless prescribed by your doctor or a dietician. i have successfully lost the weight and continue to do so with no restrictions on food.
  • bellaa_x0
    Options

my endo switched me from levo to synthroid since she said it can make a difference for some in terms of your body's response (nothing weight related) since the generic can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

my endo switched me from levo to synthroid since she said it can make a difference for some in terms of your body's response (nothing weight related) since the generic can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

What your body responds to can make a difference. (Took me a long time to find something that worked well.) Does it make you lose weight faster? Not exactly.
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

What your body responds to can make a difference. (Took me a long time to find something that worked well.) Does it make you lose weight faster? Not exactly.

agree
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    Since we're kind of on the topic... Has anyone had to change their dose because of weightloss? I am down about 30 lbs so far and now waaay over medicated (according to bloodwork and my heart that races periodically).
    I have never experienced this with weightloss in the past.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    My dose went down significantly when I lost weight. But then, I completely changed my food and exercise and no longer drink alcohol - so maybe all those things together are factors.
  • LindzMiche
    LindzMiche Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos and PCOS. I've been on synthroid/levo for close to 10 years now.. varying doses (a lot less now than when I was heavier.) I lost 100 lbs in a little over a year and didn't have any issues doing so. I've been in maintenance for over 3 years now.

The dr. who diagnosed me was convinced that synthroid worked better than levo.. so I was on synthroid for the most of my weight loss (I did stop taking it for a few months during weight loss because I was uninsured).. I moved to a new state 3.5 years ago and have been taking levo and have been in maintenance. No issues.

Learning to eat and being honest with yourself.. in my experience.. is more important in weight loss than hypothyroidism.
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    Since we're kind of on the topic... Has anyone had to change their dose because of weightloss? I am down about 30 lbs so far and now waaay over medicated (according to bloodwork and my heart that races periodically).
    I have never experienced this with weightloss in the past.

i have my appointment friday and i have the same issue... i can tell my dose is too high now given that my anxiety flares up OFTEN even with my meds. i'm expecting that my dose will be lowered (its already 100 mcg which is pretty high considering i was told by my original doctor that i was hypo, but not SEVERE).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    TresaAswegan: You wrote my story word for word, without leaving anything out.

My problem is that I start off exercising, loving it and then decide to take a day off and that becomes 2, then 3 and so on.

I have decided to set myself 100 days challenge and to try and stay focus on that because once I exercise and log my food, the weight comes, but once I start to become distracted, I start eating sweets (love British chocolate) and eating it every day should definitely be a no-no for me.

I have completed day 2 of my challenge and feeling good so far. My plan is to exercise first thing in the morning, once I miss the mornings, it never happens. This morning I was so hungry during exercise, but I stayed the course and completed what I had planned to do.

One final word, I would say to is to make sure to have blood work done on your Vitamin D levels. I never knew this, once my endocrinologist checked mine last year, my levels were extremely low, now I understood why I always felt so low. I started taking 2000 iu daily, and it was the fog was lifted from my brain and I could finally see clearly once again.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    I'm kind of excited over here to see so many relatable, and successful, stories! (I have seen too many of the "I eat 500 cal and can't.." I tend to stay away from hypo forums.)
    I have been focusing on drinking more water and healthier eating this time around, so maybe that is playing a part in the meds. I am also on an extremely high dose (working on getting it lowered). Now I notice it all the time.
    I have been very lucky that my mom knows a lot and our Doctor is very willing to listen to us. After my weight gain I tried so many different meds, but nothing was getting me in range and allowing me to feel decent. (We were previously on levoxyl but that wasn't available for a few years.) What has worked best is a T3/T4 mix that we have compounded just for us.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    Also, vitamins! Yes! I am consistently low on iron so a multivitamin and iron supplement have been daily now.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    +1 on Vitamin D, too.

Game. Changer.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I've been on levo since my thyroid was removed, and while I have the 'brain fog' at times, I haven't really had any issues with losing weight, thankfully. I have heard people comment though that when you do start to notice issues that it's important to have T3/T4 tested as often your Dr will have one and not the other checked and it can be off balance. My dose just went down, but we're unsure if it was related to the weight loss, or even just a healthier way of eating, who knows.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Hypo for over ten years. Before my meds were figured out and my TSH/Free T3/Free T4 stabilized, it was really hard to lose weight. I blamed my thyroid for holding on to the weight, but in truth after the rest of my side effects resided, I was eating too much. When I started counting calories, knew how much I was burning on a daily basis, and held myself accountable, I started losing weight.

That being said ... make sure you know what your numbers are and what your doc/lab/insurance considers to be the "normal range." Just because you're in the normal range, doesn't mean it's normal for you. Go with how you feel and the symptoms you're still experiencing (outside of weight loss)--high cholesterol, insulin resistance/hypoglycemia, constant cold, constipation, hair loss, dry skin, etc. Be your own best advocate. No one can fight for your health like you can.

I have been Vitamin D deficient (and I live in SoCal--go figure) as well as anemic. Working with my doctor, I supplement both daily, along with B vitamins.