I'm frustrated and about to give up.

Options

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yes, try a smaller bowl. I went from a heaped cereal bowl of ice cream, topped with chocolate syrup and nuts, to a smaller bowl, and now use a custard cup. You get used to it.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Yes, try a smaller bowl. I went from a heaped cereal bowl of ice cream, topped with chocolate syrup and nuts, to a smaller bowl, and now use a custard cup. You get used to it.

Not just smaller bowls, but smaller plates really help your brain adjust to smaller portion sizes. We basically only use salad plates for most meals. Oddly enough, we only use dinner plates for salads that are meals because of the volume.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you would quit exercising just because you don't have your eating under control. That makes zero sense to me.

I'm personally in the moderation camp. All foods, in moderation, within my calorie goal. I have dessert nearly every night. I've lost close to 80 lbs (100+ if you count pregnancy weight from inbetween). For me, it's about balance and eating in a way that is sustainable.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    For me, starting to work out before I focused on diet, helped to actually motivate me to improve my diet. So it sounds like you are making an excuse not to exercise. You may never feel that you get your diet "under control". That doesn't mean you can't be more physically fit through exercising.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Buy the really small containers and only buy one for yourself. Take the time to really enjoy it or buy an ice cream treat at the gas station where they sell them individually, or even a cone at McDonalds (only 170 calories) every now and again. I prefer not to let myself feel deprived.
    I have also bought the bags of fun size candy bars and thrown them in the freezer. Take one out in the morning to have at night. I know I can eat it frozen, but I buy a chocolate or caramel bar that I like at room temperature so I don't eat the frozen ones.
    It really is about your mindset, think about letting yourself have a treat and enjoying it, not about being deprived and miserable.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Dana_E wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

Strictly speaking, working out isn't required for weight loss, but I don't understand the correlation you're making here. Why would not working out help you get a sweet tooth under control? If anything, a little movement will help mitigate the excess calories.

I don't know about the OP, but for some reason, I can't undertake an exercise program until I have my food intake under control. It's a mental/emotional energy thing.

Yep, I didn't exercise at all during the weight loss phase and just focused on figuring out food/how calories work. It was just too overwhelming for me to try and figure out everything at once. I lost the extra weight with no problem doing things this way and if I had to do it all over again I'd do the same thing again.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Strictly speaking, working out isn't required for weight loss, but I don't understand the correlation you're making here. Why would not working out help you get a sweet tooth under control? If anything, a little movement will help mitigate the excess calories.

I don't know about the OP, but for some reason, I can't undertake an exercise program until I have my food intake under control. It's a mental/emotional energy thing.

Yep, I didn't exercise at all during the weight loss phase and just focused on figuring out food/how calories work. It was just too overwhelming for me to try and figure out everything at once. I lost the extra weight with no problem doing things this way and if I had to do it all over again I'd do the same thing again.

Eww. Can't imagine how unpleasant my body would be if I hadn't been exercising during the process! However, I actually don't encourage people to try to overhaul their entire lifestyle overnight. I just have this mental image of OP sitting quietly on the couch after dinner trying to "mentally" come to grips with the sugar issue. Why not go take a walk? ;)
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP's that say not to quit exercising. Even if it's just a quick walk to the mailbox or a walk during your lunch break etc.

I am also one of those people that if I eat the sweets I will crave them. I am back here at MFP again (about 15 days in) and while I have had some sweets it's not nearly what I was having 16 days ago.

One thing I do if I am trying to cut down on sweets is - I buy the kind of ice cream/sweet that I don't like but, that the kids/husband does.

15 days in and I don't have the cravings like I did and I have been able to have a sweet one day and not feel like I NEEDED it the next.

You can do this!
  • vcurrie19
    vcurrie19 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Baby43204 wrote: »
    I seem to not be handling my sweet tooth well. I do ok while I am at work but then when I get home I can't control it. So I gave up on working out until I get my eating under control. Do anyone have any advice cause I love big bowls of ice cream.

I have a huge sweet tooth as well, I feel you on that. I find that as long as I can fit it into my daily calorie/sugar/fat count, I have a treat. When I'm at the store I know to only buy a small amount and eat it slowly and take breaks after every couple of bites. By no means would I stop exercising just to get my eating "under control" though. I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit! You can do it :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You got to want to lose weight more than eat a bowl of ice cream. I'd say, clearly you're not there yet.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You got to want to lose weight more than eat a bowl of ice cream. I'd say, clearly you're not there yet.

That's what I said!! :D
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Try to get more nuts and fresh fruits in to your diet for sure. It's all about mindset. It's also about weighing and measuring. IMHO, if you can't limit yourself to a certain amount of any food then that food needs to GO! It needs to not be in the house. You have to be ready to want to do this. No one can do it for you. Please don't give up! You can do it. If you need a friend please feel free to add me.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Eww. Can't imagine how unpleasant my body would be if I hadn't been exercising during the process! However, I actually don't encourage people to try to overhaul their entire lifestyle overnight. I just have this mental image of OP sitting quietly on the couch after dinner trying to "mentally" come to grips with the sugar issue. Why not go take a walk? ;)

Well, going by my husband's behavior-my body was definitely not ewww :D I lost a little over 50lbs and didn't have any stretch marks or saggy skin afterwards. I was actually surprised at how ok things looked after the fact, but it could also be because I had only dieted/lost the weight one time?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

Agreed. When you want it, you'll go for it. You may not be perfect every day, but you'll still want it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I love big bowls of ice cream too.

I chose to have a smaller bowl of ice cream because I love being at a lower weight and feeling better more.

I keep "junk food" on hand all the time. Right now I have a pile of easter candy, some dark chocolate bars, a bag of sweet potato chips and ice cream on hand. I eat according to what my calorie allowance has room for.

Luckily I am pretty active so my allowance has plenty of room. Even so it is still an exercise in self restraint to have a smaller bowl of ice cream sometimes but I find that I enjoy it a lot more now that there is a limit on how much I can eat.
  • Fitnfla
    Fitnfla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with those that said don't bring it in the house. If I get a "healthy" snack and still find that I devour too much of it, it never comes home again! I don't have kids so it's easier but I've had to get really nasty with my husband at times to stop bringing crap home as he can ignore it for days while it calls to me from the kitchen! My downfall is gummy bears, so I only allow myself the 200 calorie bag of the organic ones made by Yum Earth so I can't do THAT much damage and at least I know I'm not getting all the chemicals and crap in regular gummy bears. Sugar cravings will go away the more you wean them out of your diet. Try fresh banana slices with a very small drizzle of agave or honey sprinkled with cinnamon and truvia - zap in the microwave for 20 seconds - yummy, healthy and should satisfy your sweet tooth. You can do the same with apples slices just microwave longer.

Good luck and don't stop working out - that's never going to help you overcome eating issues in fact the opposite!
  • Anaryne26
    Anaryne26 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. For me, I know what my weaknesses are, so I don't keep them in the house. I avoid those aisles in the grocery store. I've been logging daily for almost two months now, and I've found that my former triggers are no where near as significant anymore. I'm sure in another month or two, I might get to the point where I can keep my weakness foods in the house and actually practice portion control. It just takes time.

I've found one thing that's really helped my weight loss over the last 50+ days (17 lbs so far) is using smaller plates/bowls/glasses for what I'm eating and drinking. A smaller plate will force me to eat less, just because the plate is smaller and I can't fit as much on it. I basically only use salad plates now to eat meals on. I work out occasionally (it depends on my work and school schedule), but I log everything I eat and drink. I don't use a food scale yet, but I do measure everything out based on the serving size. I do indulge in the occasional treat, but make sure to log it so that I keep track of my calories and don't go over my goal.

Take it one step at a time. Focus on one small goal that you know you can achieve. When you do, it'll give your confidence a boost and make that next goal you set that much more achievable. Weight loss should be a life-long marathon, not a sprint.

Good luck!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My eating improves dramatically when I am working out regularly because I want to fuel my workouts properly. Maybe adjust your mindset. I don't see how giving up one good habit and focussing on what you perceive to be bad habits is going to be effective. Focussing on the positive changes that you make, and look at it as moving toward something instead of focussing on what you will be giving up. For example, by working out you are gaining energy and improving your sleep versus by working out, you are losing time that you could be dedicating to learning about nutrition. Perspectives can change. Best of luck!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    if you can't control yourself around it,don't buy it. i've had a mini malteser on my desk for more than a month now . i think about it every day but i don't touch it :smile:
    if you don't want to exercise just yet,don't. but eating ice-cream is empty calories,it won't do you any favours.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You could stop thinking about ice cream. Pretend it has gravy poured over it....