Fitness trackers

Options
Hi! I'm looking for a fitness tracker that's not going to break the bank! What do you all recommend? I would like a watch one, I have a windows phone and a Samsung Galaxy tablet if that makes any difference? Do I need a GPS one if I'm not going to use it with my phone?

Replies

• Jen216C
    Jen216C Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a fit bit zip, primarilly just for step counting as thats all i really wanted it for, for a bit of motivation to get moving during the day really. I have a garmin fore runner for running so it monitors speed and distance which i don't wear at the same time as my fit bit as i don't want extra exercise to change my steps
  • sarahseaya
    sarahseaya Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR and really like it. It tracks steps, calories, stairs, sleep and links it to MFP, has alarms, and is a watch. If I chose to do so, I can eat my calories burned, but i don't normally unless I'm dying for a snack! Last year, it cost me about $120, so it must be cheaper now. I wear it every day!

the only thing i don't like about it is that its not super cute... :( There is a more attractive version out now, but the clasp is magnetic and I hear of people losing it easily.
  • imamomwifedaughter
    imamomwifedaughter Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help, I have heard that the fit bit is one of the best out there. Does it track by GPS? Do I need to have it connected to my phone or can I use it with just my tablet?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help, I have heard that the fit bit is one of the best out there. Does it track by GPS? Do I need to have it connected to my phone or can I use it with just my tablet?

Depends on the phone and tablet, but it can be synced to a computer as well.

The only one with built in GPS is the Surge. The blaze will use your phone for GPS if it's compatible (Connected GPS). None of the other models have GPS or Connected GPS.

GPS is not a needed feature. It just provides you with a map and elevation information for your walk/run/hike.

I originally got the Surge thinking the GPS would fix the issue of missing steps when I was pushing a stroller. Ya, nope. It tracked my route on a nice map, but the distance was based on the steps it counted and not what the GPS tracked. I have the Blaze now and the connected GPS doesn't have that problem (the band on the Surge started breaking around the year mark and it can't be replaced).
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a vivo fit. Was under 80 bucks. I like it because you never have to charge it and you can wear it in the shower with no damage. I can sync to my phone or computer.
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Fitbit Alta. It's amazing. (costs: $129). I love that it is cute (even in basic black), tracks steps, sleep rhythms, water intake (if you want), and prompts with txts/calls (because = convenience [not dragging the phone out of a pocket]). Oh, and it is kind of naggy every hour that you haven't taken 250 steps (which I need :smiley: ). AND, it gives you a mini-celebration when you hit the 10,000 step goal for a day. It's simply a tool, albeit a fun one :smiley: , in the quest to get healthier. It also syncs with the phone/computer. Lots of fun features to keep it interesting.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Garmin gets my vote here. Forerunner 230 would be my pick for a watch type option that isn't too expensive. You can sync it via bluetooth to your tablet using the Garmin app.

The 630 and Fenix 3 has built in wifi so you can sync that route with those along with bluetooth.
  • imamomwifedaughter
    Options

The only one with built in GPS is the Surge. The blaze will use your phone for GPS if it's compatible (Connected GPS). None of the other models have GPS or Connected GPS.

GPS is not a needed feature. It just provides you with a map and elevation information for your walk/run/hike.

I originally got the Surge thinking the GPS would fix the issue of missing steps when I was pushing a stroller. Ya, nope. It tracked my route on a nice map, but the distance was based on the steps it counted and not what the GPS tracked. I have the Blaze now and the connected GPS doesn't have that problem (the band on the Surge started breaking around the year mark and it can't be replaced).

I hike the trail along the Niagara escarpment with lots of elevation and hills so would the GPS be best for my use? I can burn twice the calories going up the hill by my house than the flat road. Do Fitness trackers without GPS only track steps and distance but not elevation ?
    Thanks☺
  • imamomwifedaughter
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »
    Garmin gets my vote here. Forerunner 230 would be my pick for a watch type option that isn't too expensive. You can sync it via bluetooth to your tablet using the Garmin app.

The 630 and Fenix 3 has built in wifi so you can sync that route with those along with bluetooth.

Hi, I was looking at Garmin forerunner 25 and vivofit 2(more within my budget). Do you know anything about them? The vivofit looks pretty basic...thx.
  • KennyLaguna2016
    KennyLaguna2016 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Hi, does it track steps while driving? My Fitbit Charge has a big problem with that!
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Hi, does it track steps while driving? My Fitbit Charge has a big problem with that!

I don't notice anything significant with regards to steps added while driving with the Fenix3
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I hike the trail along the Niagara escarpment with lots of elevation and hills so would the GPS be best for my use? I can burn twice the calories going up the hill by my house than the flat road. Do Fitness trackers without GPS only track steps and distance but not elevation ?
    Thanks☺

The elevation isn't used in calculating your calorie burn. It's just a stat if you want it. The Charge HR, Blaze, and Surge all have HRM's, the HRM will pick up your increased HR when you go up hill and give you a higher calorie burn from that.

Only the GPS models can tell you elevation. Here's a comparison of the Fitbit models:
    oe55mgacmbyx.jpg
    (note that the GPS section at the bottom is built in GPS which only the Surge has)
  • imamomwifedaughter
    Options

Yes I can see how that would be a problem...
  • imamomwifedaughter
    Options

Thanks☺

The elevation is used in calculating your calorie burn. It's just a stat if you want it. The Charge HR, Blaze, and Surge all have HRM's, the HRM will pick up your increased HR when you go up hill and give you a higher calorie burn from that.

Only the GPS models can tell you elevation. Here's a comparison of the Fitbit models:
    oe55mgacmbyx.jpg
    (note that the GPS section at the bottom is built in GPS which only the Surge has)

OK, that makes sense thanks for your help!
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was a former Fitbit fan but have the Garmin Vivosmart HR now and love it. Originally I wanted GPS but realized my phone is fine for that. I definitely wanted heart rate and also something that tells me to get off my butt and move, and the Vivosmart HR does that, plus tracks sleep, gives me text and call notifications, counts flights of stairs, is waterproof, and has some other cool bells and whistles. Good balance between price and functionality.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I found for not tracking driving you need a non wrist tracker.

I have had 4 fitbits (3 zips and 1 Ultra) and a Mysfit Shine. I loved the waterproof of my shine but the magnetic part kept sticking to shopping carts, my car door. I "lost" it about 10 times for days on end. Drove me nuts.

Biggest issue with fitbit is not waterproof. I was cleaning a bathroom and the steam killed my ultra. The zips I always just had the clips get old and they would fall off my jeans, but when bought on ebay for $25 I don't care as much.
  • imamomwifedaughter
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone!
  • Lyenny
    Lyenny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got a Garmin Vivosmart HR too and I love it! I think it is more accurate than the Fitbit Charge HR, according to the reviews I read...and the big difference is that it is waterproof, so you don't have to take it off for showering or swimming. Having never had a fitness tracker, I find it very motivating! I use it with My Fitness Pal, and I love having an accurate idea of how much I'm putting into my body (food) versus how many calories I'm burning. And I love not having to enter the physical activity.....the Garmin syncs my activity with My Fitness Pal....Now if only there could be an automatic food tracker! hahha!
  • imamomwifedaughter
    Options
    Lyenny wrote: »
    I got a Garmin Vivosmart HR too and I love it! I think it is more accurate than the Fitbit Charge HR, according to the reviews I read...and the big difference is that it is waterproof, so you don't have to take it off for showering or swimming. Having never had a fitness tracker, I find it very motivating! I use it with My Fitness Pal, and I love having an accurate idea of how much I'm putting into my body (food) versus how many calories I'm burning. And I love not having to enter the physical activity.....the Garmin syncs my activity with My Fitness Pal....Now if only there could be an automatic food tracker! hahha!

Thanks, I was leaning towards the fit bit charge or blaze with HRM but also read some reviews about the HRM not working too well with vigorous activity....then I looked at the windows wellograph and found there was only one app that worked with it and it's not compatible with MFP. So now I'm looking at Garmin again. OR If I have to wear a chest strap I was thinking about buying just the strap from runtastic and just using it with my runtastic phone app. The more I read and learn the more confusing it becomes! I like Garmin but the ones with built in HRM are $$$
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Used to have a Fitbit One, I think I had 3 of them before I finally gave up. Work paid for the first one for all employees as part of a fitness challenge (it brought our health insurance rates down), fitbit gave me the other two as warranty replacements. I liked my Fitbit ok enough.

I'm using a Garmin Fenix 3 now. It's massively overkill for most people and pretty expensive, but it does the specific things I want it to do. I love it.

Fitbits are easy to use, they're not very robust for exercise and their wrist HRM doesn't work very well for intense exercise, but their strength is their social network.

FYI, a couple things. First, the "stairs climbed" feature on a Fitbit is pretty reliable. They count 10 feet as a flight of stairs, so if you go hiking and your Fitbit says you did 50 flights, that means you gained 500 feet of vert on your hike. So Fitbits can give you elevation info, it's sparse, but that was something liked about mine.

Also, GPS is useful way beyond just having a map. People are doing all kinds of crazy cool stuff with GPS data. When you get home from a workout (run, bike ride, etc) your exercise data gets synced to "the cloud" automatically; the server matches the route you followed against its database and shows you a list of who did the same route, when, and how your performance compared to theirs. This is hugely motivating for a lot of people. There are other benefits like knowing your pace if you're a runner, having your exercise calendar automagically filled in, Strava's global heat map, etc. But I'll also agree that for a lot of people it isn't necessary, just fun and cool.