Need help with Calorie Goal

Options
Female age 38, height 5.6 weight 173lbs. I have an office job. Outside of work I've been consistent with 3x week OrangeTheory Fitness work outs, averaging approx. 525 calorie burn each I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs. I used the TDEE calculator that tells me for ~.5lb -1lb loss a week calorie goal should be 1650 per day. Does that seem reasonable? Honestly II am going over that each day (~1800 daily) and I am not losing at the pace I'd want. At 1650 I still feel hungry, but its mostly junk that I crave, not more substantial food. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice? Despite me not losing like I want, I am staying the course with logging and working out. I guess I'm just looking for course correction or encouragement to continue on. Oh and using the TDEE method should i eat back those calories burned during workouts?

Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. It includes the calories burned through exercise, so you don't want to eat those back.

If you're using NEAT (MFP's method), where exercise isn't included in your initial calorie goal, you do want to eat them back -- at least some of them.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Shell4624 wrote: »
    Female age 38, height 5.6 weight 173lbs. I have an office job. Outside of work I've been consistent with 3x week OrangeTheory Fitness work outs, averaging approx. 525 calorie burn each I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs. I used the TDEE calculator that tells me for ~.5lb -1lb loss a week calorie goal should be 1650 per day. Does that seem reasonable? Honestly II am going over that each day (~1800 daily) and I am not losing at the pace I'd want. At 1650 I still feel hungry, but its mostly junk that I crave, not more substantial food. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice? Despite me not losing like I want, I am staying the course with logging and working out. I guess I'm just looking for course correction or encouragement to continue on. Oh and using the TDEE method should i eat back those calories burned during workouts?

Thanks!

Based on my own experience (similar age and height) I would say that 1650 is a good goal. As janejellyroll said, you wouldn't eat your exercise calories on top of this. You'd just eat 1650 and that's it.

How active are you other than your OrangeTheoryFitness workouts? If you are pretty sedentary, you might try adding a bit more activity on other days. At your weight, I ate around 1750 for my goal. I lifted weights 3 days a week and ran 3 days a week. You don't have to run. I'm thinking more along the lines of if you did something like a nice walk (not at a snail's pace but not a powerwalk either) 3-4x/wk you could have a few more calories to play with. You could either eat a bit more each day or you could save them and then once a week get a medium cone from Dairy Queen or something like that so you get a bit of a treat.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try aiming for foods that make you feel fuller for longer ! Or even try out a meal replacement! They fill you up and keep you full for 3-4 hours.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Try aiming for foods that make you feel fuller for longer ! Or even try out a meal replacement! They fill you up and keep you full for 3-4 hours.

A meal replacement? Are you talking about a meal replacement drink? How is that going to keep her any more full than regular food?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Sweet and Salty cravings are not unusual. Are you restricting foods at all that may be causing cravings enough to cause you to overeat?
    At least you know why you're not getting the results expected, and I don't mean that sarcastically.
    Most people like to fill up on protein, fats, and fibers, either a mix or a slant towards one in particular. I find protein and fats fill me better, and when I get the urge to snack (especially if I have no hunger signs, so boredom or dehydration hunger) I try and drink more water. Somewhat to distract myself, and to help me feel full. It's like a game. "Did you say you were hungry?" *drinks water* rinse, repeat
  • AmandaJuneFit
    AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

A meal replacement? Are you talking about a meal replacement drink? How is that going to keep her any more full than regular food?

Meal replacement drinks such as Muscle Mlk Keep you fuller for longer.
  • Shell4624
    Shell4624 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions and feedback! Hadn't thought of trying meal replacements because I like to eat! LOL Part of my problem. I'll try to be more diligent with water and really trying to queue in on whether I'm hungry, dehydrated or bored. This week I will start incorporating more activity outside of OTF, like a 30 mins treadmill walk/run or something outdoors since the weather is warming up. Thanks all and I really appreciate the feedback. :)