garlic ginger soy snap peas

kayemme
kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Recipe: Ginger Soy Snap Peas

Summary: Cold Pea Salad – great for parties
Ingredients

* 1lb sugar snap peas, trimmed & chopped into 1/2″ chunks
* Grated, chopped ginger to taste (about 1tbs)
* note: use ginger preserves & omit sugar if out of fresh ginger
* 1 small clove garlic (or half a large clove)
* 1/2c soy sauce (or to taste)
* 1tbs of brown sugar
* toasted sesame seeds
* salt & pepper to taste (if desired; I usually omit)

Instructions

1. combine all ingredients except peas & seeds in a bowl and whisk together.
2. toss with chopped peas; serve chilled if possible.

Cooking time (duration): 5

Diet type: Vegan

Diet (other): Raw

Number of servings (yield): eat as much as you like, but it will feed 4 as a side dish, 2 as a main course.

Meal type: brunch

Culinary tradition: Chinese

Replies

• happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    That sounds delicious! My boyfriends mum makes something similar but mine always just tastes like veggies with soy sauce on!! I guess maybe the sugar makes it more sticky?

And it's ingredients we always have in the house!! Perfect! I'm doing it tonight! :happy: Thanks!
  • kayemme
    yeah, the brown sugar helps make it more "sticky" and binds the flavors of the garlic and ginger together... you can even bring the sugar down to 2 tsp if you like, but i wouldn't omit it completely. a little sugar isn't a big deal.

it's really, really good. we make it from the time the snap peas are in season til the time they go out...
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    This sounds lovely but can I ask what the c stands for * 1/2c soy sauce (or to taste)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    This sounds lovely but can I ask what the c stands for * 1/2c soy sauce (or to taste)

I am guessing c=cup

But yes this does sound delicious
  • kayemme

I am guessing c=cup

But yes this does sound delicious

yes c = cup

i usually use a little less because i use a very strong soy sauce, so i water it down, but this is the original recipe. it's so freaking yummy. i might be able to find the nutrition on it, but as everything is pretty much raw (except for the soy sauce) i think it's reasonablly healthy.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    bought ingredients at the store, having it this week!
  • kayemme
    i made these tonight for dinner once i realized the peas i had weren't shelling peas, but snaps!

i put the recipe in the public listings .. recipe yields about 4 servings at about 1c each.
  • fraochin
    fraochin Posts: 48
    I am obsessed with anything ginger and garlic-y!

Making these babies today!!!!
  • kayemme
    we are kindred spirits! tell me what you think. it works best if you mix everything except the peas together first. but i get lazy sometimes and just do it all at one time.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    This is definitely something I'd like to try although I'm fearful of ginger - love garlic though.

I do have ginger in spice form but not as a preserve so I'm assuming just add less of the spice and still ok to add sugar? Do you think that would work?
This discussion has been closed.