AM Strength pre-workout routine?

Options
Due to some schedule changes I may have to switch my workouts from afternoon to early morning before work. My question is, how soon after waking should you go to the gym? Do you eat anything first, is a cup of coffee ok? I have never worked out on an empty stomach. Any insight into your routines or practices would be most appreciated.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat anything at all before lifting. I'd just get up, get ready, drink some water, and lift (home gym.) For the past few months I've been eating beforehand and I think it has helped me a bit. Plus it saves me some time afterward when I have to get ready for work. I eat the same thing every time--overnight oats and coffee. I get the oats together the night before so there's no prep time there, and I make the coffee while I'm letting the dogs out. I take it all down to the basement with me so I end up sipping coffee between sets and if I didn't finish all of the oats while making the coffee I finish that up down there too.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I train at 430am, 5 days a week.
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    My question is, how soon after waking should you go to the gym?
    Go when you feel able too. I get up at 330am and it takes about an hour to wake up and ready. I try to be under the bar by 430am. This morning I was in early and warming up.
    Do you eat anything first, is a cup of coffee ok?
    For me its absolutely essential to have a cup of joe and small snack before training. The snack can be anything, PB toast, energy bar, banana, apple, yogurt. Any one of those or combination.
    I have never worked out on an empty stomach.
    I don't always eat before going in, but occasionally I do go in empty and there are no problems.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you eat something immediately before lifting, I have usually tried to wait about an hour or so after eating before lifting, I assume it hasn't been detrimental to date.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Ok, so you eat something immediately before lifting, I have usually tried to wait about an hour or so after eating before lifting, I assume it hasn't been detrimental to date.

I've never had a problem eating immediately before lifting. With running, there's more jostling around and I don't like to eat a big meal right before that (maybe a banana but that's about it.)
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4 and I'm walking into my gym by 4:10. I do better on an empty stomach, but I do have a protein shake immediately after my workout and then my regular breakfast about an hour after that.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I take yesterday's coffee and throw it in a shaker cup with 1-2 scoops of protein and some ice.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Due to some schedule changes I may have to switch my workouts from afternoon to early morning before work. My question is, how soon after waking should you go to the gym? Do you eat anything first, is a cup of coffee ok? I have never worked out on an empty stomach. Any insight into your routines or practices would be most appreciated.

I get up, get dressed, wait for my husband to finish filling up our travel mugs with coffee then head out the door. I don't eat anything pre-workout (not very hungry at 4:30 a.m.).
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I almost exclusively work out in the AM on an empty stomach. It's rarely been a problem. Time is a limited quantity for me, so I get up at 5:00ish, try to be working out (in my basement) by 5:30. If I eat, it takes me too long to digest properly before I can work out, otherwise I'll get sick. I've sometimes had a cup of coffee if I'm strength training, but not if I'm running. All that liquid sloshing around will make me cramp up and probably hurl. If I'm really, really hungry when I get up, I eat like half a banana to keep my stomach from betraying me during my work out.

I've heard it said that if you are exercising under an hour total time, you can go empty, but if you plan on an intense 60 minute + session, you should eat first.

Anything new will take some getting used to. Give it a few weeks and see how it goes, how your body responds, and what works best for you.
    Options
    I sometimes even drink coffee and eat while lifting. And I train heavy.
  • jemhh
    Options

The plus side of having a home gym, right?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Honestly, I bet you will love this change! I was spending two-hours at the gym after work and then rushing around stressing to get errands done, and complete housework. After switching to a morning routine, my life has been a breeze. Does it suck to wake up at 5AM daily? Yes. But it sucks a lot more to not have family time because you're stuck in the gym. I tend to wait for coffee until after, but I always eat a protein bar beforehand. They will go on and on about fasted cardio, etc. but I can not work out on an empty stomach. I suggest pre-workout to give you a little extra energy.
    edited April 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

The plus side of having a home gym, right?
    Exacto-mundo! (But I will still drink coffee and eat that at the gym I go to in winter when I can't train at home.)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4 Monday-Friday to lift. I take a pre-workout (or coffee if you prefer), but I don't eat until after my workout. I have a garage gym, so I'm in there about 20 minutes after waking up.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I lift at 5 at home about 4.6 minutes after crawling out of bed. I down two scoops of my favorite preworkout powder and go for it. I don't usually eat til 8, but I am currently attempting intermittent fasting which has me not eating til 10. I get a little swirlyheaded sometimes, but I'm adapting.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 and try to be at the gym by 5:00. I typically don't eat anything, unless I have an extended cardio session planned (over 40 minutes), and just drink two glasses of water and my pre-workout drink which I think has a good amount of caffeine in it. I can't eat anything larger than an apple prior to working out or it'll make me nauseas.
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to lift in a fasted state for the hormonal and fat burning benefits. I know I probably could have lifted more overall if I ate though, so it depends on what your priorities are.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP you will have to gauge doing this and find out what works. As you can see vast majority that responded all do very different things. I drink amino acids right before and during. I never eat at 5:00 a.m. Depending on the am time if I get started a little a late, I may have a cup of joe, if not I supplement with caffeine.

You stated you never lift on an empty stomach so you may be one of those that can eat before lifting. What and how much is one question you have to decide based on your personal needs.

And the question is do you need a caffeine boost? Take you snack with you at the gym (like an energy/protein bar, banana - something you can pack nicely in your bag).. Just try something and if it doesn't work, don't do that the next time around. Explore till you find the right balance.