I want to learn to do compound lifts properly, how do I do that?

Options
I've watched videos, but I'm still pretty confused.

So, I could get a trainer at the local gym, but I'm not convinced they know what they're doing. They seem like they are just trying to sell me packages.

I found this place near me:
http://www.greysteel.org. They are based off of the book 'Starting Strength' and ALL they do is barbell training, particularly for older adults.

I do cardio 4 days a week now (Zumba!!! I LOVE IT!)

So, should I start off trying to build strength on my own in my sad T Rex arms that can hardly open jam jars, and THEN after I've kind of 'gotten as far as I can on my own' try something more advanced like barbell training, or, should I just go right for the end game, and go to lifting barbells? And if so, would you recommend a gym, or that greysteel place I mentioned which specializes in barbells.

Also the guy who runs the greysteel place is an MD...which kind of makes me feel better because I think he woudl recognize if I look like I'm about to die.

Thanks everyone!! I enjoy reading all of your advice!

Replies

• kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Reading the first half of starting strength is how i learned the big 3, plus OHP. it is dense but leaves no part of the form to guesswork/ Rippetoe spends a page and a half on foot placement for Bench Press!

Start with low weights. Start now. Do the main lifts. Read the book/ study while you're working through the first few weeks of program-- it should be fairly easy.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    GoalWeight165by2018 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh great, and NOW I just read that "starting strength" teaches the Power Clean wrong and it's culty...oy vey.
  • kuftae
    Options
    Btw rippetoe/ the starting strength crowd can be dogmatic in their approach to fitness. I'm sure you'd be fine there, just don't drink the cool-aid
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    for me, the best way to perfect my form on the major compound movements (deadlift, squat & bench) was just practice. with bench i started out with dumbbells. with squats, i started out with the smith machine. and with deadlifts i did just the bar. i filmed myself a lot and watched videos on youtube a lot to compare.
    pretty much any movement can be done with dumbbells, which allows you to bring the weight way way way down and really practice form.

i wouldn't trust very many instagram or internet fitness "coaches," but typically if a gym has hired someone to represent their company, they probably know what they're doing. they're making money off of you, yes, but most personal trainers who work in actual gyms that i know of genuinely care about their clients' health and well being. but i wouldn't say you NEED a trainer. its just nice to have someone show you the ropes, especially if you're worried about killing yourself. ;)

good luck!!
  • kuftae
    Options
    It teaches a way to do the power clean. it is not wrong, it is not right.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't have the knowledge or experience to give you recommendations. However, if I lived near GreySteel and could afford to go there, I'd be there like a shot (if I wasn't currently out of lifting due to injury)! If it was me, I'd rather go there and learn how to do it properly, then maybe practice at home rather than the other way round. I've found some lifts really difficult to get to grips with - I've thought I'm doing it right, then I feel I have to change something, rinse and repeat. I don't think you would need to build up strength before going, because the movements should be much the same regardless of strength (and it seems to be aimed at seniors, who may be weaker to start with).
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    So you definitely don't need to build strength on your own if learning to do compound lifts is your primary goal. If you're going somewhere to learn the lifts properly (I myself would also avoid globo gym trainers in general) they'll likely start you with a PVC pipe, move you to a 15LB bar and only start adding actual weight when you have clearly demonstrated efficiency in your movement patterns of the lifts (at least that's what they should do). I only glanced briefly about the "about us" section of the gym you posted but what they said seems pretty solid. Good luck with whatever approach you take :smile:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you really wanna lift barbells and do compound lifts, then go straight for the barbell. Barbell lifting isn't necessarily "advanced lifting" it does help if you are in someone decent shape, but the point is to use the barbells and compound lifts to get in shape which is totally fine.

See if you can find a power lifting gym in your area. Power lifters are masters at compound lifts. I wouldn't hire a local gym trainer.... unless they are really good, and i'd check all kinds of references, and their experience, and see just what it is they specialize in.

the greysteel place might have what you like, go give them a try you might like it. I personally wouldnt train with an MD they are waaaaay too conservative and always side on the err of safety. Safety is good, but i like to push my physical limits, and md'sgenerally dont, they are more into the PT type stuff.

you might see if there is crossfit locally, they do some compound movements. i dont care for crossfit but its better than nothing if you can't find anything else.

the bottom line is to do what you enjoy most. i love the compound lifts.
  • kuftae
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if you really wanna lift barbells and do compound lifts, then go straight for the barbell. Barbell lifting isn't necessarily "advanced lifting" it does help if you are in someone decent shape, but the point is to use the barbells and compound lifts to get in shape which is totally fine.

See if you can find a power lifting gym in your area. Power lifters are masters at compound lifts. I wouldn't hire a local gym trainer.... unless they are really good, and i'd check all kinds of references, and their experience, and see just what it is they specialize in.

the greysteel place might have what you like, go give them a try you might like it. I personally wouldnt train with an MD they are waaaaay too conservative and always side on the err of safety. Safety is good, but i like to push my physical limits, and md'sgenerally dont, they are more into the PT type stuff.

you might see if there is crossfit locally, they do some compound movements. i dont care for crossfit but its better than nothing if you can't find anything else.

I like the crossfit idea as well, though I'm not a fan of crossfit in general. You will learn the lifts there. Groupon usually has 1 month membership offers
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I've watched videos, but I'm still pretty confused.

If you can't find a competent trainer, you can always video yourself. If you're still unsure, post the vids to MFP and the trainers can assess it. :+1:
    Oh great, and NOW I just read that "starting strength" teaches the Power Clean wrong

It shouldn't even be teaching it. It's neither a beginner's exercise, nor a strength exercise - it's a power exercise (speed x strength).

Unless you want to become a competitive powerlifter, i wouldn't use a gym that only uses barbells. That's like a supermarket that only carries milk, eggs, and bread. There are plenty of ways to get strong without ever touching a 7 foot barbell. :+1:

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Don't let the MD in Dr. Sullivan's case scare you. If you check out his history and training record you will find that he is the next best thing to working directly with Rippetoe himself.

If I was that close I would be there in a heaetbeat.
  • WallBilly
    WallBilly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I paid Dr. Sullivan at Greysteel for a 1-session coaching lesson about 2 years ago to help me with my squat form. It was worth every penny. Good guy.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    GoalWeight165by2018 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    wwmilligan wrote: »
    I paid Dr. Sullivan at Greysteel for a 1-session coaching lesson about 2 years ago to help me with my squat form. It was worth every penny. Good guy.

really? Tell me more! I saw the charge was $169 for a monthly membership, and, my hope is that, during that time, I coudl do 8 sessions (2x a week) and learn proper form.

I'm not looking to be a body builder, I just want to lift heavy things and not get hurt.
  • WallBilly
    WallBilly Posts: 11 Member
    Options