HIIT

Options
Can someone tell me what HIIT is? Should I add it to my workout? I'm planning to use 3lb Dumbbells since I'm starting and new to lifting. I really want to tone and lose weight. I just am trying to find the perfect workout for me.

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Just google image search 'hiit workout' and you'll yeah examples to last you months.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, you should NOT be doing intervals.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, you should NOT be doing intervals.

I disagree. Intervals can be fine. Longer, slower intervals is not a bad thing. Maybe 1 min of a little extra effort followed by 4-5 min recovery. Work that into a run once a week. HIIT is probably too advanced and can lead to injury.
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will stick to a simple workout and leave HIIT for the future.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It mean high intensity interval training which can be more advanced like they said BUT you can incorporate intervals into any exercise even if you're just walking an example would be power walking as fast as you can for 30 seconds then normal walking for a minute all it is is switching back and forth between a little more intense exercise and an easier exercise! The change makes your heart rate go up for the shorter more intense time which overall makes you burn more calories
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    High intensity is relative to the person. You CAN incorporate it as a beginner for sure. Like I said, Google some workouts and give them a try!