What do you do if you go over your calories?

Options

Replies

• halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Made for interesting reading. I've just drawn a line under it. Today is another day!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I hang my head in shame then have a burger and a pint of beer to get over it....
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    For future reference ... prelogging can help prevent accidental overages. :)
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Most of my days I have 100-300 calories left. If I go over 1 day every few weeks, no big deal.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Is there a place that shows my weekly calorie total or do I have to just add it up myself?

The phone app (Android, at least) lets you pick "weekly" under "nutrition". Which week it shows will depend on what day you were on in the day view.
    IPhone app too. And I believe on the desktop site there is a weekly calorie count under Reports that can be selected.
  • Countryboy_83
    Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do what's done is done... Get refocused and back on track
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. Sometimes I go over, most of the time I come under, and sometimes well under. It all evens out.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to compensate the next day (s) but instead get right back to plan as quickly as possible.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    go for a jog
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I go "dang, went over my calories" then go to sleep and wake up the next day and start again.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I shoot for a weekly average. If I'm over 1 day it doesn't matter as the next I might be under by 100 calories. If I'm over for the week, then oh well. If I'm not losing weight at the rate that I want, then I'll tighten up my food intake to make sure I'm not over for the week.

As a general rule of thumb I'm under my calories mon-thur, and then make up for it on sat/sun. Not always, but it is pretty common.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I record it and move on with my day. Being over once in a while (as long as it's not becoming a daily habit), won't matter in the scheme of things. You'll slow down your loss a bit with the higher days, but again-500 calories once in a while isn't going to make or break your progress :)

+1
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    There's nothing really bad about going over once in a while. It's not a sin to not meet your goal.

What do I do? It really depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I just call it a "day off" and it's business as usual the next day. If I'm working on a short-term goal and don't want to hurt my progress, I might pay it back over the next few days or week. For example, I bought a pint of Ben & Jerry's on Saturday and wound up eating the whole thing in 2 days. Instead of trying to cram it into my daily calorie goal, I pre-logged 0.2 containers each day for 5 days. If I attend a party or something and don't want to call It a day off, I might log 100 calories of "penance" for the next few days. It's a small amount that I know I can manage. It can become a rough habit, though, like always buying on credit, so I recommend doing it sparingly if at all.

Some people do the reverse if they're planning on a splurge: they bank calories over the week leading up to said splurge. Planning your splurges when you can is probably a better strategy than punishing yourself after.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    tbh, I think it is good to treat yourself once in a while, don't go crazy tho

breaks up the routine so it doesn't become boring etc
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Feel annoyed with myself and then move on. Things happen. I would say that the plus side is that I logged my mistakes so I'm at least being honest with myself. It's the overages that you don't log that can really set you up for failure and put you in a bad mind set.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Nothing different as far as eating. I just get back to my calorie goal the next day. I do consider why I overate. Was it a good reason, I was celebrating a big event with family or friends that is an infrequent sort of thing that is one day or one meal? Then I don't sweat it because it was far more important to spend that time with those I care for and love regardless of how many calories I ate. Was it a bad reason, boredom, fatigue, stress, or whatever that I dealt with by eating rather than doing something else. If it was that I seek to change what lead to eating too much. For some it is just that their calorie goal or unnecessary food/macro restrictions are the issue and they cannot keep going so they give in. Whatever the cause, I seek to correct it, but I don't try to make up for a day where I ate too much, just get back to the plan the next day.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Most of my days I have 100-300 calories left. If I go over 1 day every few weeks, no big deal.

Me too! Which is great for when I go out for dinner and drinks w/ friends at the end of the week, cuz really I have lots of extra calories to indulge w/out feeling guilty!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Log it and move on. Sometimes I go over, most of the time I come under, and sometimes well under. It all evens out.

YES! Exactly! It's all about OVERALL balance!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I shoot for a weekly average. If I'm over 1 day it doesn't matter as the next I might be under by 100 calories. If I'm over for the week, then oh well. If I'm not losing weight at the rate that I want, then I'll tighten up my food intake to make sure I'm not over for the week.

As a general rule of thumb I'm under my calories mon-thur, and then make up for it on sat/sun. Not always, but it is pretty common.

Yuppers!!!
  • another_chelle
    another_chelle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The days when I go way over calories I just don't even log it because I know it'll make me feel worse to see how much I went over. I just move on and start over the next day.

Like everyone above has said; it's a long game and you really have to look at averages for the week not just a single day. Having one or even two bad days is not going to totally derail your progress.