6 months out of Total Knee Replacement - looking for MFP Friends to MOTIVATE

Options
RedsknU2
RedsknU2 Posts: 63 Member
Hello all -
I am 6 months out of TKR on the right knee, and 6 months from TKR on the left. I need to realistically lose 80-100lbs to help ensure that these new knees stick around for awhile, as I am only 52 and want to hold off any "revision" as long as possible! Working with a nutritionist so that helps - - but sometimes (lots of times!) old habits are hard to break! Looking for some MFP Buddies who have some weight to lose, or understand the complications of TKR, or folks just hoping to get and give motivation.

Replies

• 4righteousnesssake
    4righteousnesssake Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great idea, accountability partners are a must! I'm looking to lose 20-30 pounds myself. Recovering from a car accident, so not being active, I'm really watching what I eat. Add me if you like!
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    55... total of 115 lbs to lose. i started the day after xmas of 2015... 102 days on this new journey and i'm down 48.8 lbs so far...my knees were killing me for the past year or so but after a few weeks of dropping a few pounds they started to feel much better, i picked up a fitbit and started walking... had a difficult time making the 10 k step suggested... in fact i was lucky to make it half way... but just over 3 months later i can proudly say i am hitting over 15 per day. my best day was 30 k last week..total of 131 k for the week.

patience and perseverance is the key... you didn't put the weight on overnight and it will not come off overnight.. do not give up and don't give in.. stay within the calories you set up here and do not eat back any calories you may get from exercise...do not give up your favorite foods or snacks.. just eat less and less often... if you cut out all the food you enjoy you will not stick with it.,, personally i cut out all added sugar and salt and try to eat as clean as possible. no processed foods but thats me.. I'm in it for the long haul( the rest of my life) and plan of being around for a long time... what motivates me?.... the mirror. just got fed up with being that fat guy... i can't say i am a great motivator , but i'm here every single day... if i can help let me know
  • emailsteve336
    emailsteve336 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had partial knee replacement in 10/2012. I was in pretty good shape before the surgery. Since the surgery my weight has been up and down, it goes up I cut some foods out goes down for a few months, then starts creeping up again, so I cut more foods out. I'm down to eating the 4 basic food groups, no processed food, no fast food. Unfortunately, because of my other orthopedic problems I only get 5 hours a week of gym time.
  • RedsknU2
    RedsknU2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate the support!