Bcaa

Options
NA1979
NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
I'm on a deficit diet at the moment, staying within my calories but having to supplement at least 40% of my protein to meet that macro, even that's at. 8 grams per LBS, I'm starting to get sick of protein powders now, are bcaa an alternative to preserving muscle while dieting, lifting heavy and hiit cardio at 3 - 4 days a week? I'm a busy parent with children, so preparing more food than what I do is too expensive and inconvenient at the moment.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It that 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal weight? Excess weight doesn't need to be provided protein.
  • NA1979
    Options
    No current weight
  • seska422
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The US RDA for non-lactating, non-pregnant women is 46 grams. That's supposed to supply enough protein for nearly every woman in that category. I can understand wanting to have more than that but there's no reason to go overboard. 0.8 grams of protein per pound of ideal weight (the middle of the healthy weight BMI for your height) should be more than enough protein to meet your needs.
  • NA1979
    Options
    Sorry I'm a guy, and a body builder looking to cut for the summer.
  • seska422
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sorry about that. I'd even looked at your profile. A guy is 56 grams.

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

It's 0.8 g /kg/day. Not pound, kilogram. Even with doing a body-building cut for the summer, 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal body weight should be plenty.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Well BCAAs are expensive as well. Eating meat, fish, dairy, eggs will provide BCAAs. I find them useful if im restricting calories or reaching my limit but need more muscle sparing amino acids. You can use them, just get a BCAA that is just Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine and nothing else to add calories.
  • NA1979
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys!
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Bcaa's help preserve muscle? I just use it for muscle recovery
  • NA1979
    Options
    Yeah, apparently so.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

It's 0.8 g /kg/day. Not pound, kilogram. Even with doing a body-building cut for the summer, 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal body weight should be plenty.

The dietary recommendations are very flawed and do not support muscle sustainment, especially while losing weight. There is a significant body of research that supports 1.5-2.2g / kg of weight for protein (roughly 1g per lb of lean body mass).

Having said that OP, I would agree that you should increase meat consumption. Much cheaper and better. Most supplements arent controlled and you really don't know what you are getting.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The dietary recommendations are very flawed and do not support muscle sustainment, especially while losing weight. There is a significant body of research that supports 1.5-2.2g / kg of weight for protein (roughly 1g per lb of lean body mass).

Having said that OP, I would agree that you should increase meat consumption. Much cheaper and better. Most supplements arent controlled and you really don't know what you are getting.

Sources please.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »

Sources please.

There is about 20-30 different sources in those threads. I have a bunch book marked in my google drive but it's blocked at work. But hopefully the below will help.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823505/research-on-protien-intake

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/869015/fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358928/new-review-rda-protein-intake-is-too-low-1-5-2-2g-kg-recommended-for-everyone#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10334013/protein-intake-for-highly-trained-natural-weight-lifters-during-caloric-deficit/p1
  • seska422
    edited April 2016
    Options

That's about the amount I suggested since he's cutting.

The OP was using his current weight for the calculation and that lead to a protein goal he was having trouble meeting. Calculation from LBM or ideal weight will yield a more reachable goal.
  • psuLemon
    Options

The OP was using his current weight for the calculation and that lead to a goal he was having trouble meeting. Calculation from LBM or goal weight will yield a more reachable goal.

I thought you were suggesting 56g of protein a day. I guess I read that wrong. Sorry about that.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Bcaa's help preserve muscle? I just use it for muscle recovery

I was unaware. I thought it was for recovery as well.
  • seska422
    edited April 2016
    Options

The OP was using his current weight for the calculation and that lead to a goal he was having trouble meeting. Calculation from LBM or goal weight will yield a more reachable goal.

I thought you were suggesting 56g of protein a day. I guess I read that wrong. Sorry about that.
    I can see how that happened with the same number but different units.

My point was that 2.2 times the RDA (about 123 grams) should be plenty of protein to support a cut and that, if he wants to calculate the goal himself, it should be calculated from LBM or ideal weight.
  • NA1979
    Options
    Wow that's really informative,thank you everyone.