Food sometimes dictates my social life

Options
I've been overweight my entire life and I finally feel like I'm in a place where I'm able to make healthy choices and stick with a fitness routine that I love. The only thing is that I find my new lifestyle sometimes dominates my social life: I'll avoid certain functions or activities because it interferes with my gym and eating schedule, I'll pass on events because I'm afraid of the food temptations, I won't go out with my friends because I know I don't have enough will power to say no to drinks.

Has anyone else found themselves in this position, or have any tips for how they've overcome this?

Replies

• dtlp
    dtlp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing! I haven't seen my friends in weeks because every time I see them we end up going out for food. The only time I see them is when I know that I can fit the food into my calorie limit, or when I make the plans so I know food will be avoided.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Same here, it's really tough but your health and wellbeing are more important and your good friends will understand :smile:
    Arrange things you can do together that aren't food and drink related like the cinema (I just get a cup of tea), walks or bike rides and ...well, everyone loves shopping!!
    Things like birthdays etc are unavoidable so this is where you weigh up what it's worth to eat / drink what you like and what that equates to at the gym... What is it worth to you?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    its about finding balance. Your social life shouldnt suffer due to eating choices. There are options at any restaurant.. it may not be the most amazing tasting meal but there are options. Personally i make it fit. If we go out for drinks and pizza i eat light that day or the next few days. This is a lifestyle that should be sustainable.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Have you tried talking to them about it? The other day I had a difficult situation at work because there was a lot of unhealthy food, and I mentioned to one of my coworkers that I'm trying to eat healthier and it was hard for me. It turned out, so was she and we held each other accountable and made sure we both managed to eat without breaking our calorie budget!
  • girlalmighty08
    girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes I have for sure... especially in the summer when we go out camping trips and there's chips and booze a plenty. They are totally understanding (after the first initial jabs), but I find it's more ME and my mental block about it. I just don't trust myself completely so I find it's easier to eliminate the temptation altogether. And then it's the fitness thing as well... for example I have a Body Pump class I love doing on Saturday mornings, so I'll always avoid doing anything until the afternoon when I can workout and get a post-gym snack in. Or if we go on a road trip or vacation I stress out about how many days I'll be away from the gym, or the limited opportunities to be active.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. Especially if the group wants to go to a non-chain restaurant. How am I going to count calories? What should I get? How is it cooked? I keep needing to remind myself that healthy eating is a part of my life, but it shouldn't run or dictate it. Easier said than done!

This is what I plan on doing now... I have my TDEE and daily calorie goals, so if I know I'm going out for dinner/drinks one night, I'll subtract 100 calories each day that week and bank those calories for the night out. That way, I can enjoy myself, and even if I go over, it's just one meal. Back at it the next day!