Planet Fitness is coming to my town!

Options
100df
100df Posts: 668 Member
I've been waiting a long time for this. I don't want to sign a long term contract when I'm not sure I'll go so waited for PF.

To the naysayers -

I really don't like their "no judgement zone" while they judge but their company, their rules. There's other much more important things that I'm hypocritical about. I figure the bodybuilders will get along without me becoming a social justice advocate for them by not joining PF.

Dress code - I don't wear any of the banned clothing anyway. If you do wear the banned clothing, you'll have to wear it somewhere else. It wouldn't bother me seeing others dressed in the banned clothing unless it turned my workout time into a session with people bitching that they got kicked out or told to cover up.

No grunting - Their company, their rules. Grunting wouldn't bother me. The only body builders I know offline are nice, normal people. Some of the body builders I know online are obnoxious. The way they act makes me glad they wouldn't be caught dead in Planet Fitness or would be asked to leave if they showed up and broke the rules.

Pizza and tootsie rolls. I'm betting the pizza will be from a pizza place in town. All pizza here is disgusting. I wouldn't waste calories on tootsie rolls no matter where I see them. Doesn't bother me that PF provides them. We're supposed to be eating foods in moderation so not sure why this gets hated on so often.

If I outgrow PF (kind of laughable that I would make that happen at this point), I can easily go to another gym because I don't have a contract with PF. If I decide the whole gym thing is not for me, I finish out the month and PF will stop charging me monthly. Love this.

I plan to use the weight machines. I know that real weight lifters will scoff but I don't care. It's better than nothing and I'm sure my goals are much different than yours.

Anyone else a Planet Fitness member and willing to talk about it here?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Did you start this just to argue?
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Did you start this just to argue?

LOLOL, for real!
  • 100df
    Options
    No! I am hoping by addressing all the issues that come up will allow actual Planet Fitness members to discuss what its like to be a member. I am very excited about joining PF. I think good things for me could come from it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's really not something to be excited about. For real.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I joined the one near me for a while because it was cheap. It's Vermont, so they were pretty non-judgey about the stuff that PF is usually judgey about (i.e. the non-judgement zone, grunting, rules in general) so from that perspective it was fine. It ended up being far enough away that it really wasn't convenient, and the more expensive, closer gym was a better investment. Also, I am OK with a $10/month gym having a spartan locker room, but it's annoying that they don't have squat racks, Olympic bars, etc. It's fine if you're just looking for access to treadmills, ellipticals, dumbbells and a Cybex circuit, but that's pretty much all you get.
  • Mom2mdv
    Mom2mdv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been a member for about a year and absolutely love it!! Everyone there is awesome!!!!
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If one ever came around here, I'd join it just for the tanning bed and massage chair access.
    Plus it might come in handy while traveling, since the gym I belong to is a local, no-frills power-lifting gym (grunting and dropping weights encouraged).
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I somehow managed to get a free, lifelong membership to Fit4Less, which is the Canadian equivalent. It's an okay gym, but it has a squat rack, enough benches, and I DL there regularly and the staff don't say anything. I go early so I don't have to talk to anyone. In other words, it's not great, but it's good enough for what I am using it for right now.

I think PF can be a fine choice depending on your goals and what other gyms may be available in your area. Just don't go in expecting it to be something that it's not - but it sounds like you already have a good idea of what it is and isn't!
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a great place for the right people.
    It's the equivalent of riding a tricycle, and I remember my tricycle and loved it...and then I turned age 3.
    It was time to move up to training wheels.
    rsxgobdh6uq0.jpg
  • 100df
    Options
    Definitely still on tricycle. If I need to move to training wheels, I have access to other resources. I think that PF enourages you to move on if you progress to the point your needs aren't met by not having a contract.
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for about a month and I like it. I mean let's be honest... you're not there to make friends or what not.
    I am just looking to lose about 30 lbs... not become an Olympian or weight lifter. So it works for me.