Sugar limit

I'm losing weight because I keep going over the sugar limit before I reach the calorie limit. Why is it so low? It's not like I'm eating sugary foods.

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    So change or ignore it. Unless you're diabetic there really isn't a good reason to worry about sugar intake.

MFP will give you far more information than you really need to worry about - pick what is important to you based on your health and wellness needs.
  • kirstenlodge57
    kirstenlodge57 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    rankinsect, Yes, but still need to watch how much sugar we're eating.

krsten, How many grams do you have MPF set for (it may be to low)?? Keep in mind, that starchy carbs (bread, potatoes, fruit, etc.) have more sugar than fibereous carbs (mostly green veggies). Check out the sugar content of the foods you are eating and you will more than likely find the culpret. Good luck! B)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    The only thing important to me is protein and fiber and salt ( salt for medical reasons)
    i ignore the rest.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 204 Member
    Sugar can prevent weight loss. Diet products that are beverages are even worse but you can find debates on that. I was told a long time ago not to drink your calories. Though I'm not perfect at it, I just keep reminding myself about this as you can drink a lot of calories. That seems to be where a lot of sugar is. Good luck.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    Sugar can prevent weight loss. Diet products that are beverages are even worse but you can find debates on that. I was told a long time ago not to drink your calories. Though I'm not perfect at it, I just keep reminding myself about this as you can drink a lot of calories. That seems to be where a lot of sugar is. Good luck.

Too much calories prevent weight loss ( even make you gain) thats all....

Sugar is only calorie dense but can be eaten/added to your food. As long as your daily calorie intake is lower than your daily burn ( deficit) you will lose weight..eating sugar or not.

95069916.png
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Don't be afraid to eat the other macros....fat, protein, carbs. If you are keeping carbs/sugar low, your fat and protein macros will increase. This does not make you gain weight or get fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    It's bunk. Disregard it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    When I first started MFP, I was always substantially over the default sugar number, and the only added sugar I was eating at the time was the concentrated fruit juice (several items down the list of ingredients) in my all-fruit spread. All the "sugar" was from whole fruit and dairy; I was always way under the default carb goal.

Solution: Take the sugar column out of my diary, replace it with fiber, which seemed more interesting/useful. End of problem.

Down 65+ pounds to goal weight since last year around this time. Blood work all excellent - in the normal range, much improved from my fat-person results. Feeling great.

Don't sweat it.
  • kirstenlodge57
    kirstenlodge57 Posts: 3 Member
    It's set at 65 grams.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I lost 85 lbs last year and probably went over my sugar every day. Didn't affect weight loss.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Lots of sugar junkies here. Do what you want.

Sugar tends to increase appetite/hunger later, but so does bread rice grain fruit pasta - hunger can make it more difficult to stay under your calorie targets.