LCHF? What's it for?

Options
2»

Replies

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    LCHF is one of the best diets for anyone who is diabetic, pre-diabetic or insulin resistant. Carbs turn into glucose in the body, glucose is basically poison to the above mentioned individuals, your body struggles to pull nutrition from it, and when it can't, it lets it float around in your blood or stores it as body fat. When your doctor prescribes you insulin or metformin (or any of the other medications) to counteract this, they are adding more poison to your body and only trying to counteract the damage you are doing by your way of eating. It's so irresponsible, when simple nutrition modification can have better results. When you follow a low carb diet, your body produces ketones to use as energy, and converts protein into the glucose needed by your brain (the only organ which needs glucose_ all other organs and body functions can run on fat).

Many people do not suffer one of the above issues, and they freely eat carbs at any level with no ill side effects. And still some of the non-afflicted follow LCHF nutrition because they feel better on it.

How do you know what category you fall into? Trial and error. Blood glucose monitoring. Food journaling. It's unique for each person, but worth exploring. Especially if you suffer from a metabolic disorder.

How does LCHF affect energy levels and brain fogging? I know quite a few cases of people being low on carbs and super energy depleted and having brain fog issues. Does upping the fat counteract/help with that?

Again, a LCHF diet does not jive with some people. There are reports from some people on a keto/LFHC diet of better mental clarity, but it doesn't happen with everyone.

There are many studies out there on the effects of ketones on the brain. I'll leave a link that discusses some of it. Ketogenic diets have been used to regulate symptoms of neurological diseases for years. If I remember correctly, it was shown to reduce seizures by some 50% in epileptic children.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK209323/#!po=0.694444
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for your various inputs and experiences.
    What about your energy levels on low carbs? And brain fogging?

In my experience, my energy level has become more constant throughout the day regardless of when or how much I eat. I do not have ups and downs. Mental clarity has remained the same if not, slightly improved.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

It will really depend on the person and how the respond to little carbs. I know many who do well with fat and many othera who dont. I am the latter.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I first got acquainted with the LCHF diet when I read 'Always Hungry' by David Ludwig, MD, PhD. (He is a Professor of Nutrition at Harvard, among other things) I certainly can't summarize his entire book, but it was convincing enough for me to give it a 2-week try, assuming I could make 2-weeks. It did look hard, but it really wasn't. That was over 3-months ago and I am still on it, really like it a lot. I was already doing the no refined sugar part (had been for 4 months), but in this phase I upped my fats and removed wheat and grains too just to see how it made me feel.

LCHF works amazingly well for my husband and I now. Although I do it while in ketosis, my husband is not in ketosis. I feel both of us have benefited greatly from this plan, and my husbands chronic IBS is finally GONE (err...remission?), which has been nothing less than a medical oddity with years of doctor after doctor trying to convince him they cant find anything wrong, ergo it was just psychosomatic mumbo-jumbo in his head. Or worse, they gave him drugs and drugs and more drugs. Turns out he had a wheat allergy all along, so that is gone from our diets completely now. I have since read quite a few other books and resources on the topic, and I am more and more convinced that sugars and grains do not add the health benefits our governments would like us to believe, especially at the recommended amounts of 6-11 servings per day.

But as many has stated, it is not for everyone. Not everyone has sensitivities to grains and sugars, but many do. Others have simply no interest in this WOE, which is totally cool. I am long past the point where I need to read 'proof of concept' anymore. I can check a lot of boxes on how much better I feel, how much I enjoy not having uncontrollable hunger pangs and blood-sugar swings...etc.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I went into ketosis, which can be a harder transition and tougher on energy and brain fogging then just doing LCHF. My husband (who is LCHF but didn't do keto) never complained at all about it. The transition didn't phase him in that regards, in fact I think he saw an immediate gain in energy and clarity because of his wheat related issues now being addressed. For me going into keto the first few weeks were not so great, and had some mega headaches. But I stuck it out, I wanted to see first hand if the benefits were real or not. Since then it's great - better than I expected. I jog in the morning, walk 3-5 miles per day, and stay more active throughout the day. Heck, my house is a lot cleaner now! I don't put off cleaning like I used too. :wink:
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »

In my experience, my energy level has become more constant throughout the day regardless of when or how much I eat. I do not have ups and downs. Mental clarity has remained the same if not, slightly improved.

Completely agree. No fog, balanced energy all day and I'm never hungry.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

I went into ketosis, which can be a harder transition and tougher on energy and brain fogging then just doing LCHF. My husband (who is LCHF but didn't do keto) never complained at all about it. The transition didn't phase him in that regards, in fact I think he saw an immediate gain in energy and clarity because of his wheat related issues now being addressed. For me going into keto the first few weeks were not so great, and had some mega headaches. But I stuck it out, I wanted to see first hand if the benefits were real or not. Since then it's great - better than I expected. I jog in the morning, walk 3-5 miles per day, and stay more active throughout the day. Heck, my house is a lot cleaner now! I don't put off cleaning like I used too. :wink:

All of that except that my house isn't cleaner.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So a person with diabetes should not be eating the way I do?
    Lentils, oatmeal, beans, barley?
    I just ate a sweet potato black bean chili. With 53 grams of carbs. 300 calories.
    No oil/fat added. This is something a person with diabetes cannot eat?
    Curious as can be. Would it be bad for them?

Depends on their body's response to it, if it quadrupled their blood sugar levels and it took 4 hours to come down then it wouldn't be doing them any favours.

If their pancreas and/or pharmaceuticals kept the rise low and brought it back down in a couple of hours then it wouldn't be an issue.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What exactly is the point of low carbs high fat? What is it supposed to accomplish?

It is one of many tactics/tools people use for fat loss. Works for some and not for others.

Also, sometimes for medical reasons...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    Some people find it satisfying/satiating to eat that way. Just another WoE.

So it doesn't really have a supposed affect in weight-loss/muscle-growth?

I'll give you my experience on it:

You DO get an initial weight drop, but it's all water weight retained when eating a diet rich in carbs. I dropped almost 13lbs in three days of just water weight.

I have experienced better sleep. Deeper sleep and I rarely wake in the night anymore.

I don't really get hungry through the day anymore. I eat whenever is convenient because I know I have to eat.

Morning aches and pains have pretty much subsided and disappeared.

As far as muscle growth goes, no. It won't help any better than any other nutrient rich diet. Weight loss is the same deal. It can help with controlling your eating habits, as it has for me, but I'm sure that's dependent on the person.

Many people on a LCHF diet strive to maintain their body in a state of ketosis where the energy being created is derived from fats instead of sugars. This has been beneficial for me when I do a fast. As I said, I don't really get hungry, yet I've got plenty of energy.

There have also been reported benefits for some such as the elimination of IBS in those that suffer from it and various other benefits, but this, again, is dependent on the individual.

The diet is not for everyone and not everyone will experience the same benefits from it. Just like any diet, it's whatever works for you. Right now, I enjoy eating like this and I enjoy the benefits. I probably won't eat a straight keto diet forever, but it's definitely had its up sides for me.
    Great post!

• wjgirl
    wjgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lchf definitely helps you lose weight. I've been doing it for 6 months. Its a lifestyle change not some quick diet plan. I don't think it helps with muscles, Watch "Butter made my Pants fall off" Bob Briggs. and Why I got fat, fathead. This explains alot. It's not for everyone. But explains why carbs are so bad for us.
  • J72FIT
    edited April 2016
    Options
    wjgirl wrote: »
    lchf definitely helps you lose weight.

It helps some stay in a state of negative energy balance. Negative energy balance helps you lose weight. LCHF was the tool (one of many) used...
    Its a lifestyle change not some quick diet plan.
    It's a tool to help control calories, nothing more...
    But explains why carbs are so bad for us.
    Carbs are not inherently bad for us...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lchf definitely helps you lose weight. I've been doing it for 6 months. Its a lifestyle change not some quick diet plan. I don't think it helps with muscles, Watch "Butter made my Pants fall off" Bob Briggs. and Why I got fat, fathead. This explains alot. It's not for everyone. But explains why carbs are so bad for us.

Documentaries are not good sources of information and generally are very biased and agenda based.

Baring medical conditions, carbs aren't bad for us. Its the over consumption of calories and lack of exercise that is bad for us. Or even the type of carbs, just like the type of fat that has the biggest impact.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There isn't a "one-size-fits-all" diet that works for everyone. There are numerous factors, including health, genetics, gender, age, environment, activity level , cultural influences, etc. that affect results. As long as you're getting sufficient nutrients, tweak the ratios and do what's best for you.