Goal Weight or Appearance

Options

Replies

• AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I started with a goal weight of 175 but don't think I'll hit it. Considering I passed 175 in junior high, had no idea what a healthy weight would be for me. I'm ten pounds out but with my build id have to super lean (5% bf) to reach that lol so... about where I am now is where I'll stay and shoot for 10% bf. I'll still be overweight by bmi standards but that's irrelevant as I'm inside a healthy body fat percentage.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Looks for me, or more properly, measurements in inches because the kids/man say I still have dysmorphia and think I'm fatter than I am. The best outcome of all, for me, would be if I could weigh this much or even 10 stone but be this size or smaller waist in inches.

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My goal right now is to get to a normal BMI, so 179 lbs. Once I'm there I'm pretty sure I'll want to lose more but I'll start going more by how I look and feel and not focus so much on my weight.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I last saw my goal weight of 143 when I was probably 12 or 13 years old - and 18 years later I have absolutely no idea when I'll look like, at all. I do think I might go by appearance as I get closer. I picked 143 because it's in the upper range of a healthy BMI for my height. I do think BMI is kind of arbitrary, but I didn't really have anything else to use as a frame of reference.

I'm at 201 right now, and I look a lot different at this weight now than I did when I was gaining on my way up to 260. Exercise and a different weight distribution are making me look more proportionate, and I might have a lower body fat percentage. If I get to 150 or 160 and really like my shape, I may start maintaining there - at least for a while.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is a range within the middle/high end of the healthy bmi for my height, which was also my lowest weight as a adult. I expect to re-evaluate once I get closer to that point based on how I look and feel.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I remember being 135lbs in high school and feeling pretty good about myself. I'm kind of a curvy girl so my weight would sit in the "right places" when I was at that size. So that's my goal, but if I get there and think I should go smaller, I will. Or maybe I might stop somewhere before if I'm happy with the results.

Ultimately, I focus on small goals right now. 5 pound increments help keep me motivated.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Originally wanted to lose 50 lbs before I turned 50 because it sounded good. Now, I think I might end up stopping about 5lbs short of that goal though... really depends on how I feel when I get there... likely in about six weeks or so. I have lost 35 lbs as of today so I have lots of time - birthday is not until August.
    Love that using MFP to log/lose weight is so predictable for me - still blows my mind.
  • 1CountryGirl05
    1CountryGirl05 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Personally I have a goal weight which was a number I picked off some "ideal weight" charts but I'm not concerned about it really. I'm more concerned about how I look and feel. Mostly the way my jeans fit. Haha. It's more of a jean size for me than a weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My goal is 150 unless I can really work on my fitness goals and build some muscle, then it is 160. So a fat looking 150 or a fit looking 160 is my ultimate goal.
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Goal 1. Healthy BMI = done - now at 141lbs 5ft6 from 174 at New Year.
    Goal 2. 139lbs = 2lbs to go
    Goal 3. 136lbs = changed this goal-- now I think appearance is most important to me and will get there by strength training using bodyweight (at home no gym)

I changed this as I am struggling now with my deficeit at 1200 cals a day, I am diet weary and feel skinny fat and now have realised that I am more interested in appearance (and strength and improving my bone density at my age of 40) than weight on scales.
    Excited to see the results and this is from a former couch potato, cardio suffering woman!
    If it wasn't for this amazing community I would never have known about any of this stuff, feeling like a new woman!
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have goal pants. I'm thinking that I will be fitting into them at 112-120 lbs. So I am going by the way I look and how my clothes fit rather than the final number. I'm currently 130, Hoping I'll be in those pants by the end of August.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I currently have a goal weight in mind, the weight I was at about 6 years ago. But when it comes down, it's all going to depends on how I feel and how clothes fit. I'd like to be able to fit in a certain size again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is based on a guess of what I weighed when I was a full time yoga teacher. (I didn't own a scale then.) So since it's pretty arbitrary, sure, I'd stop when I'm happy with the mirror. I'd like to hunt down my skinny jeans from then - they are probably in the attic at my mom's. I also have a pair of camo pants from when I was in the military that would serve as a benchmark. I was 30 years younger then, so that's not a hard goal by any means.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,842 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    5'0", 122 lb, 50 years old

I have a tentative goal of 115 lb. When I weighed 128, my body fat % was 32 (per DEXA). I'd like to get down to the low 20's, assuming I can manage to hang onto most of my muscle mass as I lose. When I reach 115, I'll get another DEXA and decide from there what to do.

I can remember over 20 years ago when I was 115 lb and the best shape of my life (running marathons in the 3:40s, body fat of 18% per calipers and 15% per hydrostatic - I was stunned when they told me).
    sigh

Got to do the best I can now.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I read that in the UK they are going to stop going by bmi and go by waist measurements over 34 inches for a women is obese men's 38 inches
    Seems more acceptable to me
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, and aiming for around 120 (Im 158 lbs now). I chose that number because my adult lowest was 130, and I want to surpass that. I'm also one of those people that doesn't wear weight well. Like, I gain it all in my upper body and I have a tiny little butt and legs. To put it in perspective, my hips/waist/chest measurements are pretty much exactly the same.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    I read that in the UK they are going to stop going by bmi and go by waist measurements over 34 inches for a women is obese men's 38 inches

But a 34" waist on a 5'0" woman is very different than the same measurement on one who is 5'11"!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    size102b wrote: »

But a 34" waist on a 5'0" woman is very different than the same measurement on one who is 5'11"!

Yep. This drives me crazy. Those static measurements. Waist to height ratio makes more sense, but then what about ladies who keep all their fat in butt and legs vs ladies built straight and lean with slim hips?

They do use waist in our "biometric screenings" at work but I think the thresholds are 35" and 40". Our shortest lady employee is 4'9" and tallest over 6' but they use the same threshold. Shortest man here 5'4" and tallest is 6'8" so that's even worse.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just curious how everyone decided what their goal weight was. Also curious about your thoughts on being a few pounds heavier than your goal weight but happy with what you see in the mirror. Would you go to maintenance at that point?

I never had a number as my goal...just getting my health back was my number one goal...after that, I really only cared about achieving a level of leanness that I was comfortable with and that was relatively easy to maintain.

When I was 220 Lbs, I had no clue what I'd look like at any of the arbitrary weights I'd come up with, so I never bothered with that stuff. Hell, I figured I'd have to cut down to about 155...but I wasn't taking into account that while I spent 8 years + getting fat, I also put on quite a bit of muscle mass. I'm 182 and about 12%.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My goal is 30% bodyfat.