Am I doing this right?

Options
Im 9 months postpartum attempting to lose the last 10 lbs of baby weight I gained. I've become more active than I had been in the last year and a half. I'm going to the gym, hiking, going on family walks etc. I've been logging this fitness into my calorie count and in turn eating those extra calories. Am I hurting my own progress. Although I'd like to tighten it all back up I'm also not trying to back slide.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? If yes, you are doing things fine. If a few weeks pass and your weight is not lower, then limit your calories more.
  • AngelaMarie1985
    AngelaMarie1985 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to say because I definitely feel like I'm burning fat and gaining muscle. We just bought the Garmin scale so I'll monitor my weight loss better once we get it in the mail.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    MFP can over-estimate your calorie burn for exercising. I think the usual recommendation is to eat only half of the burned calories it gives you.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Also remember the last 10lbs come off very slow! The closer you are to goal weight the longer it takes.
  • AngelaMarie1985
    Options
    Benzie box I can agree with that. I also wear a Fitbit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to say because I definitely feel like I'm burning fat and gaining muscle. We just bought the Garmin scale so I'll monitor my weight loss better once we get it in the mail.

sorry not gaining muscle...

Muscle gain comes from eating extra food and doing a progressive load lifting program...

Exercise is great for health and fitness but don't use it for weight loss.

If you entered your stats into MFP and are eating the calories given to you by MFP and some if not all of your exercise calories then you are doing it correctly.

Mind you if you aren't logging accurately and consistently (using a food scale, correct entries and logging everything) you could be eating more than you think.
  • AngelaMarie1985
    Options
    I use a food scale and measure portions correctly according to any packaged foods.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I use a food scale and measure portions correctly according to any packaged foods.

which is great...and I know this sounds odd but are you choosing the correct entries?

For example I've seen entries here for Chicken 120 calories for 5 oz...no protein....not correct.

And don't rely on the "verification" check mark either...I've checked some of those and they are horrid.

That being said MFP is designed to eat them back and as long as you are losing some weight you are fine.
  • AngelaMarie1985
    Options
    I try to look into what each food item contains by reading the package vs mfp. I will admit I rely on the check mark most times. Now I know to pay closer attention.