My brain hurts.

Options
aquarabbit
aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
While I understand that names do play a part in how society judges you, I just can't imagine not letting my kids play with someone based on their name. Do you think this woman went too far?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZjdgU0asM

Replies

• bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I can't watch the video here at work but without watching it, from your post - yes, yes I do think that is too far lol

incidentally what was the name?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    havent watched the vid yet but it reminds me of a recent Freakanomics episode. they found that your name didnt impact your economic potential.

i would not have guessed that.

" And we were able to see something quite remarkable, which is that the name that you were given at birth seemed not to matter at all to your economic life."
  • bio01979
    Options
    havent watched the vid yet but it reminds me of a recent Freakanomics episode. they found that your name didnt impact your economic potential.

i would not have guessed that.

" And we were able to see something quite remarkable, which is that the name that you were given at birth seemed not to matter at all to your economic life."

what if the name I was given at birth is not the name I have had for my entire life? ;)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I can't watch the video here at work but without watching it, from your post - yes, yes I do think that is too far lol

Basically, she said that there are children that she will not let her kids play with because they have certain names like Tyler or Charmaine. She says that it's because the people who name their kids those kinds of names are lower class and the lower and working classes are not something that she wants her kids to be involved with because they don't do as well in life. She also said she didn't like geographical location names or season names like Autumn or Summer. . . . . and her kids are named Poppy and India. That was when I got that feeling in my head like when you eat too much ice cream.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want my future children to play at her house either. I'd be afraid they'd get lost in that huge nose of hers.
  • ZorZoor
    ZorZoor Posts: 2
    Options
    I feel bad for her kids.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Wow. That woman is a stuck up ***** (sorry) let someone tell me my kid isn't good enough to play with their kid simply because we are working class and they don't like his name. I wouldn't want my kids playing with her kids because I wouldn't want them coming back with a self entitled attitude like hers.
  • bio01979
    Options

Basically, she said that there are children that she will not let her kids play with because they have certain names like Tyler or Charmaine. She says that it's because the people who name their kids those kinds of names are lower class and the lower and working classes are not something that she wants her kids to be involved with because they don't do as well in life. She also said she didn't like geographical location names or season names like Autumn or Summer. . . . . and her kids are named Poppy and India. That was when I got that feeling in my head like when you eat too much ice cream.

well that is just stupid lol (and possibly has undertones of racism?)

also the names of her kids are a bit odd too lol I can see why your brain hurts
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Thats insane... The irony to me too is that my daughter has a friend named Tyler who comes from a very wealthy family, and when I was a teen, there was a girl at my school named Summer who came from that whole upper crust wealthy family (though youd never know it with either of them...super chill sweet down to earth kids).

But oddness...teaching your kids to discriminate against people because of their name / perceived class. Now, I wouldnt go the other way and say I woudlnt want my daughter to be friends with a kid from a family like that...kids dont always share their family values and develop their own..not going to hold it against a kid and punish them for what their parent chooses to do. That wouldnt be setting a good example either and Im not going to teach kiddo to treat people like that.