Gym Membership worth it?

Options

Replies

• liftzilla16
    liftzilla16 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes for sure, there are so many things I can do at the gym that just aren't possible at home.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Only if you use it.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love my gym membership, but I use it. I go to classes, use the cardio equipment, frequent the weight room... I get my money's worth out of it.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    My 24 Hour Fitness membership is the best. It's no frills in the decor, but it has all the weight equipment I need, a cardio room for when it gets too cold/stormy to run outside, group classes for when I need a change of pace, and access to gyms nationwide if I'm traveling. Everything is well-maintained, and the staff is awesome. $325 a year, and my company reimburses $240 of that, so my out-of-pocket cost works out to just over $7 a month. Completely worth it.

Find a gym that meets your needs for a cost that's not a burden. Some people like swankier places or specialty studios and are willing to pay premiums for that, but you don't have to shell out a ton of money to get a good workout in. If you're not going to go, don't spend the money, but if you pay the money, get every dollar's worth.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For some people, yes. If I tried to work out at home, it would either just become me wrestling with my kids/dog on the floor or deciding to go make a sandwich instead..
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have a Gym 24 membership--they're plentiful around here. I go 1-2 times a week for lifting and if the weather is bad for cardio (I prefer to run outside). Sometimes go to use the sauna/hot tub. I have a yoga studio membership and I go to class 3-4 times a week. Mostly after work (I can walk there) plus Sunday mornings.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    It's worth it, If you actually go.
    This.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I go all the time...5 or 6 days a week.

For me it is important to get out of the house, so it's perfect...
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I worked out for 12 years without a gym membership. have a decent home gym and even have access to a decent gym at work. Recently my daughters have wanted to join a gym and the 'family rate' was just too good to pass down. So I have been using the gym, and to be honest it has re-energized me. I love the social aspect of it, and some of the equipment has allowed me to work muscles I have never really focused on before.
    Totally a personal thing because I happened to join a fantastic, friendly gym where the employees and trainers are friendly, not pushy and the membership is pretty awesome too.

So I think it comes down to the individual. I really do not work out at home anymore, for some reason it just seems a little inferior. So long as you are enjoying it, just work out wherever you find yourself.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have a free gym in my apartments and I hardly ever use it. I get so bored using traditional gym equipment. I prefer to work out in my apartment along to dvd's. Or even walk in my apartment with music or a TV show on. Everyone is different, though. I'm sure most people in my position would take full advantage of a free gym. For me, a gym membership would be a waste of money since I'd never go. It's all a matter of what you'll stick to. :)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    It is to me. I can't work out at home. I can't get started and when I do I see all of the stuff I should be doing instead, like mopping the floors and dusting. That's only IF my pets decide to leave me alone long enough to get a workout! Also, I like having access to the varied types of equipment. I could never duplicate this at home.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I go to a pole dancing studio weekly for private lessons, and I also have a home pole set up in my living room (I live alone and I'm a hermit, so no one comes to visit me, lol). And the money I put out to do lessons for pole are totally worth it. I'm someone who needs someone to say "no lift your butt up more or square your hips and make sure your gripping tight enough with the pit of your knee." I need direction. I even purchased a year membership to Studio Veena, a pole dancing website that has lessons, to help supplement when I'm poling at home.

I just joined a gym and got a personal trainer so I can start lifting heavy. The good thing is, they don't charge dues or membership fees b/c it's a personal training gym. It's expensive, but again, I'm someone who needs direction for things like fitness and sports, so for me it's worth it.

But I use everything that I'm paying for, so nothing is being wasted. I don't know if I would be able to have a weight lifting gym b/c I'm not sure I would utilize it the way I do my pole. I have a passion for pole dancing, as of now I don't have a heavy lifting passion. I just know I need to do it to help with my poling.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth it. I have three and they all meet different needs. Just started Class Pass too. I have tried even doing cardio at home and it just doesn't work for me. I do better with people around and some direction.
  • minamina27
    minamina27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Worth it for me. I pay £19.99 at the local leisure centre and use the gym 5 times a week and do 3-4 classes a week every week so each visit costs me a little over 50pence. Well worth it for me. However I have a friend who paid £40 a month for a nicer gym that included spa, sauna etc and used it 10 times max for the year so her sessions cost her £48 each. Not worth it?
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Love the Y! Took me a couple weeks of perseverance but now I'm there every day.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    As others have said it is only worht the money if you actually use it and go. A membership in itself will not bring the motivation, nor will it help unless again it is being used and that motivation has to come from within.

I only very recently got myself a gym membership. It was not until I felt that I was no longer improve or push myself to another level of fitness that I considered it.
    For two and a half years I did not have it and it would not have been worth it to me. My excersise was mainly lots and lots of walking, yoga, some resistance training in the morning and cycling.

• JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My previous employer has a gym. I retired and still had access. The drive to the gym kept me from going. 20 minute drive each way was isn't much but it was enough for me to stop going. I signed up for gym membership at a place 2 miles from home.

Initially I signed up because I did not want to do cardio (run) outside in the cold and dark winter. Once there I started lifting as well. I had not lifted regularly since high school in the 1970's! By all means it is worth it. Now it's spring I am back outside for my cardio but hit the weights 3-4 times a week.

To each his/her own. The most important thing is to do something. What works for me may not work for you.

Interestingly some posted about the social aspects of the gym. I prefer to work out alone and pretty much stay to myself and get my workout in and leave.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

I also joined an Anytime Fitness because I travel some for work and I love being able to have access to a full gym when I am on the road, unlike the hotel fitness rooms which are usually just a treadmill and a bike.

I also have an Anytime Fitness membership and have gone to several when traveling. It is a nice option. Also, I am not all that motivated when I am home, the coach calls my name :) My gym membership is totally worth it.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm odd.... I don't like tons of people and I don't like being social with my exercise, but I LOVE my gym. I love having so many activity options. And I love the classes - again, not to be social, just because I like to just follow along with what an instructor tells me to do for an hour (lazy thinker here!), then go home.

I HATE working out at home. The family gawks or pests, the dogs don't leave me alone. I am just overall a more productive person when I leave my house.

So you can see how it would be different for everyone.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    this might be the second most "your mileage may vary" question there is, behind "should i do cardio or not?" - which doesn't mean you shouldn't ask it. :)

if you're gym-curious, then maybe dip your toe into the water somewhere like Planet Fitness, where the cost is minimal and there's no contract and try it on for size and see how you feel about it.

as nearly everyone here has said, it's not an absolute necessity - but I count myself among the folks who love having it as an option. but i also have a dumbell in my desk drawer and ride the bike trails every chance i get.

it's all about balance, and every person has their own definition of what that is.

you'll find yours.