How does a person keep themselves motivated

Options
2»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Motivation is only temporary. Relying it on it almost always results in failure. Build a routine and stick to it.

You aren't motivated to go to work every day right? Or brush your teeth, or shower, or eat meals, etc.. It's mainly just routine that gets all these monotonous things done. Build a diet and exercise routine and set yourself up for life.

+1. I am more motivated than not these days, but lots of days good old fashioned routine saves my butt. ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    10 days in, I started losing at a rate of 1 kg/week. Why wouldn't I want to keep that up!?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I'm not always motivated. I do it anyway.

Kinda like getting up in the morning and going to work. Cleaning house. Paying bills.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Seems like I do good for awhile then I fall I struggle with trying to lose. Weight and exercise. What are some ideas you may have

Performance objectives. How is my Resting Heart Rate improving over time, how is my time when I run benchmarks like a Cooper test or a threshold test on the bike.

I book races to put some structure around my training, so that I end up in cycles of Half Marathon and Marathon periods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What do you do when your house is a mess but you're not necessarily motivated to clean it up? My guess is that you do it anyway because nobody wants to live in filth. Your body is your house...maintain that house.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Seems like I do good for awhile then I fall I struggle with trying to lose. Weight and exercise. What are some ideas you may have

Sadly in my case it took me facing my premature death at age 63 in a real way before I was motivated enough to figure out a new way of eating just for health before I made the life changing effort to stick with my new WOE.

Best of success.